An Invitation to Soundpaint

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think the detune going in opposite directions on the fem vox to go in and out of clusters is a neat trick, that I would use. I suppose you'd have to buy the samples to do it and I'm not all that likely to want to put money into this at this juncture

I still wonder what is that all about. From all the things I saw it should be able to create very expressive instruments with using just a few samples? But then most instruments seems to use more GB of samples as most of my better sample libraries.
I mean it sounds interesting in general but not sure yet if its the best new thing yet like its market. From the demos it does not sound all that expressive and unique for me, especially not if it still needs GB´s of samples for this.

Just in case anyone wondered where it was....

https://soundpaint.com/

I still don't really know what it is or how it works, but I have loaded the player and free piano. I'll play around with that tomorrow - loads very quick and low CPU, sounds decent enough so a promising start.

Some odd specs though. The 1975 guitar library is under 1gb. The Jupiter 8 is over 84gb. Not sure complete synths make much sense on a sampled paradigm, albeit one with some kind of resynthesis.

Still, as a platform it does look intriguing, and stuff is competitively priced.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I wonder what exactly is it? Isnt it just a rompler where you can add libraries? I dont see what is so special about it or eid i miss something?
Ok morphing, well got that for many kontakt libraries now but what else?

The bundle price is strange. You only save 10 bucks over individual prices dont you?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

As one of the lucky few who has had the free Grand Piano version to play with for a few days already, when I saw what the All Bundle contained, how much it cost, and most importantly, how many GB it is, I was rather disappointed, because there isn't a very wide range of instruments in it.
First of all, the 'Drums - Orange 808' seems to be a waste of time - why do you need 1,000 samples of the 808 clap sound? I would rather use the Roland Cloud TR-808. Then the Juniper 8 - 84GB? Really? No list of presets? (Bear in mind that as far as I can tell from the free Grand Piano version, having used it and watched all the tutorials, there isn't much you can do to actually edit the original samples - because they are samples. So whatever PRESETS they have sampled from a Jupiter 8 to make Juniper 8, is all you have to play with. (So it would be nice to know how many different sounds/presets it comes with, as this will determine what other sounds you can make with it.) Whereas with an emulator (or any VST synth, not a sampled based VST) you can make any sound that the Jupiter 8 can make - without using 84GB of hard drive space. How many presets does Juniper 8 come with, before I decide if I want to fill 84GB of my hard drive with it?
The 'Brass - G-Brass' expansion is very limited to a certain genre, judging by the video they did of it - admittedly it's only $30 which is a completely reasonable price, but it's the All Bundle as a whole that disappoints, because these are the only brass sounds you'll get in it.
The idea that you can hear the difference between velocity layers on other samplers is also doubtful to me, I just don't hear anything in Soundpaint that makes it better than synths and sample libraries I've already got.

I won't say any more, just that it's not for me - I can do much more than the Juniper 8 can with Zebra 2 and all the free presets you can get for it, as well as a few preset packs I've bought - taking up almost no space on my hard drive. There is very little editing possible with Soundpaint sounds (other than what you would expect of any sampler), as far as I can see.

There is a Standard version of the Juniper which is much much smaller, the 80 gb is silly IMHO
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I downloaded Soundpaint and the free piano. I also bought the 1975 Soul Guitar. Very nice!

I think that Soundpaint will be popular with film composers based on this:

https://youtu.be/osCpZjyQ1zA

I love this! I was wondering if this was technically possible. I work in Reaper. I'll be sending an email, shortly.

How odd - after going on about it for a year, now it's actually out KVR seems strangely muted...

Pretty impressed with the player and piano. It's light on CPU and RAM (on this evidence anyway) and very fast in use. It doesn't look gorgeous but I think the UI is fairly well thought through at a first glance.

(The piano itself is a nice vintage - slightly detuned but not too OTT. Velocity scaling is very smooth (a big selling point) but there's no really soft dynamics, sadly. Can't grumble for free though)

I can't see how this makes any sense at all to make softsynths - the disk space is vast and the controls don't reflect the synth layout at all. Just... why?! But as a new sample player, it seems pretty promising to me.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:33 am How odd - after going on about it for a year, now it's actually out KVR seems strangely muted...

Pretty impressed with the player and piano. It's light on CPU and RAM (on this evidence anyway) and very fast in use. It doesn't look gorgeous but I think the UI is fairly well thought through at a first glance.

(The piano itself is a nice vintage - slightly detuned but not too OTT. Velocity scaling is very smooth (a big selling point) but there's no really soft dynamics, sadly. Can't grumble for free though)

I can't see how this makes any sense at all to make softsynths - the disk space is vast and the controls don't reflect the synth layout at all. Just... why?! But as a new sample player, it seems pretty promising to me.
Thx! I didnt follow soundpaint, just saw it recently maybe you can tell more? :)

I wonder what exactly is it? Isnt it just a rompler where you can add libraries? I dont see what is so special about it or eid i miss something?

The bundle price is strange. You only save 10 bucks over individual prices dont you?

People say extensions from spectrasonics is too expensive but you get for 150 bucks fully new sounds, which are fully editable where is soundpaint it is just a sample player (different prices and content of course)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I don´t know.. I´ve installed soundpaint and the free vintage piano and to me it sounds awful. Absolutely lifeless. There are a lot of different parts in this set but everything sounds the same, just tiny variations without any expression or musical creativity. Yes it is free, but how is this supposed to impress someone to buy additional content is beyond me.
The plugin itself looks clean and I like the day and dark mode. But its everything else than well thought through. If I want to load a part into slot 2, I can´t just select it and then pick a part from the browser. I have to drag and drop what I want into that slot, without even knowing how it sounds.
If you just select a part from the browser and click on it, everything you have active in your project will be lost immediately!
And then the morph function.. I tried to make some significant changes to the different sounds I loaded to be able to even recognize morphing, as everything I have is this vintage piano. There is only the option to activate or deactivate morphing and a slider with the desired amount. Thats it, nothing else! No way to dial what I want to morph exactly, no way of locking individual parameters that I don´t wan´t to be altered, nothing...
But the most disappointing fact is the lack of the developers presence, here in his very own forum thread and all those unanswered user questions.
This is so unprofessional..

Caine123 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:08 am I wonder what exactly is it? Isnt it just a rompler where you can add libraries? I dont see what is so special about it or eid i miss something?
Weird isn't it? They've spent so long hyping it, and they're failing on the basic question of how to get over what it actually is (and isn't).

Someone a couple of pages did a useful brief best-guess explanation. My takeaway is that it seems to resynthesise the samples somehow. So from, say, 8 sampled velocity layers, in real time it plays back resynthesised versions with infinite velocity layers. Somehow tied into this is that it can load and stream extremely efficiently, with vastly reduced loading times for big instruments.

I may have that all backwards, but that seems the main things. As a by-product it can do stuff like morphing, but the examples I heard on one of their demo videos were pretty underwhelming, and there's not much to try it out with on the piano.

Essentially I'm thinking of it as a well optimised sample player that has a few mildly cool tricks. It seems very efficient in design, and instrument prices look very reasonable. So that's all great. But the promise that it will "change everything" appears to be the wild overblown hype from one of the biggest hypesters in the business that most of us suspected. 84gb 80s analogue soft synths without even a proper front panel will do little to enthuse anyone I suspect.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:42 am
Caine123 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:08 am I wonder what exactly is it? Isnt it just a rompler where you can add libraries? I dont see what is so special about it or eid i miss something?
Weird isn't it? They've spent so long hyping it, and they're failing on the basic question of how to get over what it actually is (and isn't).

Someone a couple of pages did a useful brief best-guess explanation. My takeaway is that it seems to resynthesise the samples somehow. So from, say, 8 sampled velocity layers, in real time it plays back resynthesised versions with infinite velocity layers. Somehow tied into this is that it can load and stream extremely efficiently, with vastly reduced loading times for big instruments.

I may have that all backwards, but that seems the main things. As a by-product it can do stuff like morphing, but the examples I heard on one of their demo videos were pretty underwhelming, and there's not much to try it out with on the piano.

Essentially I'm thinking of it as a well optimised sample player that has a few mildly cool tricks. It seems very efficient in design, and instrument prices look very reasonable. So that's all great. But the promise that it will "change everything" appears to be the wild overblown hype from one of the biggest hypesters in the business that most of us suspected. 84gb 80s analogue soft synths without even a proper front panel will do little to enthuse anyone I suspect.
Thx a lot!
Ok so i see this failing in these points
- no sample import
- no full preset list of each set
- morphing examples are sorry, not well sounding so far
- hype words and marketing hahaha ;) really love these overhyped marketing but after many kontakt libraries im used to it now

So it seems a lacking functionality well? Designed sampler with resybthesize function which u cannot use yourself (own samples) but with affordable libraries where u dont know how many presets/sounds are included

The juno 80 seems just bad priced? You get a full synth and they sell a sample library... i dunno what to think of this.

Will test maybe this weekend the free piano and the player maybe get palindrome or something, im a sucker for these libraries

I agree about the piano, it is totally lifeless.
Tried to draw all 127 velocities in my daw. The first 100 sounds like volume increase only, and then there's about four vel. switches in the top which is not smooth at all.
I was longing after Pianoteq after few seconds 😁
Sorry to say, but I am not impressed at all.
And far too little info about what is a brake through with this software!
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

I think the main selling point is they have tech that can make the samples infinitely expressive and responsive like a real instrument. So it doesn't feel like your limited to 128 velocity layers.

In a way this is also like a rompler for film score composers. It's like Nexus but instead of dance music its aimed at soundtrack music. Unlike here they seem to be loving Soundpaint over at VIC.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”