An Invitation to Soundpaint

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seems like it's another hit and run marketing exercise - no real attempt to return and engage with the community of prospective customers, which is a bit disappointing.

Agreed.

Wish they’d offer something substantial

JunX wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:53 am Is this the same thing?
https://8dio.com/2020/08/07/sound-paint/
Yes, it is :)

tickytock wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:59 pm Anybody hear back from these people? Are they offering a free forevermore copy of their plug-in as an exchange?
The plugins you beta test will be free.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:47 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:05 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:53 am "Infinite dynamic velocity layers" doesn't make sense to me with digital data which is discrete and quantized.
don't be so pedantic
I'm being pedantic because I have no idea what they're attempting to even describe? It sounds like nonsense to me, but maybe I'm reading it wrong. The English wording is incredibly awkward, like it was poorly translated from a different language, and to me it seems to be describing something that's impossible. You probably shouldn't be marketing your product with physically impossible claims, but again, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I'm not even sure if it's talking about velocity as in how hard you hit the key on your midi controller, or some other type of velocity. If it's keyboard velocity, I have no idea how you map a finite input values defined by the midi standard to an infinite (or even finite but much larger) number of output values unless its just using a random number generator, which I guess is mildly interesting. You can't recreate extra resolution on the input that wasn't initially recorded.
The software essentially functions as AI in that it is just that, infinite velocities to one note. You don't run into that velocity bump that can be found in samples. Take a Piano library, for instance, it doesn't matter how many samples of different velocities of one note you record, there will still be that space in-between the samples that is missing. A Piano in Soundpaint is exactly like a real Piano in that there are no sampled velocities on a Piano, it just works. The infinite velocities in Soundpaint makes it so a Piano library plays like a real Piano. The response is more realistic. We developed a new sound format specifically for Soundpaint so we could do this. Soundpaint is meant to sound realistic like an analog instrument, but can also be made as synthetic sounding as you want.

beely wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:12 pm Seems like it's another hit and run marketing exercise - no real attempt to return and engage with the community of prospective customers, which is a bit disappointing.
Hello :)
Sorry we haven't been as engaging as you like. What questions do you have for us?

Ploki wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:12 pm Agreed.

More substance will be coming.

Soundpaint wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:40 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:12 pm Agreed.

More substance will be coming.
Sometime after the next few teasers.....
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Soundpaint wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:28 pm
tickytock wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:59 pm Anybody hear back from these people? Are they offering a free forevermore copy of their plug-in as an exchange?
8)

The plugins you beta test will be free.
Great! I sent you my email address a few days ago saying I'm up for beta-testing. Would love to hear from you. 8)

Soundpaint wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:40 pm
beely wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:12 pm Seems like it's another hit and run marketing exercise - no real attempt to return and engage with the community of prospective customers, which is a bit disappointing.
Hello :)
Sorry we haven't been as engaging as you like. What questions do you have for us?
When will the beta testers email address be active?
It appears quite unprofessional to suggest users contact a given email but literally everyone got a "no user at this domain" message in return. How can that have been so badly organised?

Aside from that, it does sound like it could be interesting. I'm going to guess it uses granular and spectral resynthesis to deconstruct and reconstruct the samples.

I received a newsletter recently from them, but nothing about beta testing.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CinningBao wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:04 am When will the beta testers email address be active?
It appears quite unprofessional to suggest users contact a given email but literally everyone got a "no user at this domain" message in return. How can that have been so badly organised?
It's not the first time a developer here has had trouble with Google emails. S#@t happens. I don't think one email problem indicates poor organization, necessarily. Cut them some slack. 8dio has a great track record, as far as I can see.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Soundpaint wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:37 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:47 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:05 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:53 am "Infinite dynamic velocity layers" doesn't make sense to me with digital data which is discrete and quantized.
don't be so pedantic
I'm being pedantic because I have no idea what they're attempting to even describe? It sounds like nonsense to me, but maybe I'm reading it wrong. The English wording is incredibly awkward, like it was poorly translated from a different language, and to me it seems to be describing something that's impossible. You probably shouldn't be marketing your product with physically impossible claims, but again, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I'm not even sure if it's talking about velocity as in how hard you hit the key on your midi controller, or some other type of velocity. If it's keyboard velocity, I have no idea how you map a finite input values defined by the midi standard to an infinite (or even finite but much larger) number of output values unless its just using a random number generator, which I guess is mildly interesting. You can't recreate extra resolution on the input that wasn't initially recorded.
The software essentially functions as AI in that it is just that, infinite velocities to one note. You don't run into that velocity bump that can be found in samples. Take a Piano library, for instance, it doesn't matter how many samples of different velocities of one note you record, there will still be that space in-between the samples that is missing. A Piano in Soundpaint is exactly like a real Piano in that there are no sampled velocities on a Piano, it just works. The infinite velocities in Soundpaint makes it so a Piano library plays like a real Piano. The response is more realistic. We developed a new sound format specifically for Soundpaint so we could do this. Soundpaint is meant to sound realistic like an analog instrument, but can also be made as synthetic sounding as you want.
You can't have infinite velocities in a digital system. I guess you can have so many that it's as good as infinite to the human ear, but that would require an input system with an extremely large resolution for input velocity.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought midi had 128 velocity levels (even if this number is incorrect, lets say it's 128 for the sake of argument). You cannot take this finite input resolution and turn it into a larger output resolution, that makes no sense. You can do some trickery to make it appear that the output is greater than 128 with some trickery like subtle parameter randomization on each note, or using an RNG to map 128 on input to a larger output set. This is not an actual increase in resolution, it's just subtle randomization. You cannot recreate velocity data that wasn't initially recorded.

Still, having 128 different velocities instead of 7 or 8 is a huge improvement, assuming it sounds good. and being able to adjust the velocity curve without losing resolution would be very nice as well.

Return to “Instruments”