Toneboosters Flowtones Synth

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
1699 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:54 am

Well, I still don’t understand the hype around this synth. I gave it a new try, and sorry to say I haven’t been impressed at all. I haven’t heard any preset showing any kind of sound that would give any sort of wow effect, excepted for the voice presets that I haven’t heard anywhere else. Maybe in the future we’ll hear amazing things people can do with it that may change the way we see the synth, but for the moment all I can hear sounds too basic for this excellent developer. It needs more awesome presets to show its potential.

Oh wait, there’s no hype.
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

KVRian
646 posts since 11 Mar, 2010

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:33 am

DJErmac wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:54 am
Well, I still don’t understand the hype around this synth. I gave it a new try, and sorry to say I haven’t been impressed at all. I haven’t heard any preset showing any kind of sound that would give any sort of wow effect, excepted for the voice presets that I haven’t heard anywhere else. Maybe in the future we’ll hear amazing things people can do with it that may change the way we see the synth, but for the moment all I can hear sounds too basic for this excellent developer. It needs more awesome presets to show its potential.

Oh wait, there’s no hype.
Agreed. Besides the GUI, the presets are also a problem. I think they sound very basic and uninspiring, especially for a synth with so many FX and modulation sources.

KVRAF
1699 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:56 am

The last time I saw bad presets in an awesome synth was MPowerSynth. And like I said, the synth is absolutely awesome imo, powerful as Hell, you can get sounds as impressive as the best synths from this era. But those presets... They sound like they’re from a cheap synthedit freeware from 2005...
Maybe we’re on the same case this time, since we first heard mindblowing demos from Flowtones, but not everybody has the time to test every possible combination from every synth on the market. Presets are supposed to show what a synth can do or not. From this view, it’s a failure. Actually I’d love to love Flowtones. :shrug:
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

KVRian
894 posts since 23 May, 2016

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:07 pm

I've bought it for 29, as it's an ok price for a full synth with some problems.
Still the problems are there and I can't understand why this wasn't optimized.

- the knobs move far too slow for a synth. I have to travel the full screen height with the mouse to turn the Cutoff knob not even fully
- knobs stutter when turned by mouse
- Sequencer behaves strangely or it is not intuitive (maybe has to do with it waiting for note off events, but for screen programming through the piano wheel in a DAW this is bad)

Return to “Instruments”