One Synth Challenge #151: GR-8 by Phuturetone (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... e-151-gr-8

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #151! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

If there's a bug or issue, try here.

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

GR-8 is the runner up winner to the 2021 KVR Audio Developer Challenge! It is an "an 8 voices virtual analog synthesizer with built-in effects and an arpeggiator." It has mono 8 voice unison, FM, PWM, Distortion, Phaser/chorus, and 8 voice poly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8l7KGu1qXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daGuRdgSfvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crKF7HEJW8c

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact RichardSemper via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)

NEW Additional Bonus Prize!
For the first Single Instance entry to make the top 5 a cash bonus of $50. (note: this prize may be carried forward to selected OSC challenges until it is won)

discoDSP : 1 copy of Discovery (Up to 2 winners may choose this)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Dmitry Sches : Tantra Multi-Effect + 3 Expansions

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

ChordPak.com : 1x Pro Pack (Up to 3 winners may choose this)

United Audio Artists : Scratch Master Pro (2 may be chosen per month)

Yuli Yolo Sound Design : (Top 3 Winners get this) Soundsets for Vital: Diversity, Bass Music Wavetables, Noises & Exciters

Luftrum : Two Choices: Either 1x NFR software license of either Bioscape or Lunaris, or two soundsets of choice

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

SoundGym : *NEW* 12 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

Newloops.com : any 3 sound packs of choice (excluding bundles)

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice (except for the Future Chill and Space Trips expansions)

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions - Developers may be looking for artists to make music.
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing.
  • metapop - Has many competitions, with a soundcloud like interface where you can share, upload, get likes, comments, etc.
  • Mix Challenge - Join monthly recurring Songwriting Competitions (with a new theme/genre every month) and/or Mix(ing) Challenges (mixing multi-tracks from scratch). Win prizes!
  • Open Source Music Nexus Challenge - From the people who brought you the FM Challenge last year!
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
Last edited by bjporter on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:20 am, edited 13 times in total.

There are some issues with images and links. That'll be updated shortly.

"Driving Downtown"

This my entry for KVR's one-synth challenge using GR-8.

I've been hoping this wonderful synth would make it to the OSC!

16 instances of GR-8 in Logic DAW

Effects, other than in GR-8, all Logic: Channel EQ: 4, Chromaverb: 1, Compressor: 2, Limiter: 2

https://soundcloud.com/user-506331101/driving-downtown

That's quick like **** @tickytock! Looking forward to play with this one. Hopefully enough time to create something...
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Nice! Love GR-8. Another challenge I can get behind.

Hi BJ and Richard -- how about paid plugs for this month? Always makes it more fun (except for everyone who complains, of course!) Thanks.

ontrackp

tickytock wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:54 am "Driving Downtown"

This my entry for KVR's one-synth challenge using GR-8.

I've been hoping this wonderful synth would make it to the OSC!

16 instances of GR-8 in Logic DAW

Effects, other than in GR-8, all Logic: Channel EQ: 4, Chromaverb: 1, Compressor: 2, Limiter: 2

https://soundcloud.com/user-506331101/driving-downtown
Did you make this in 24 minutes?

I wish there was a Mac vst so I could use it with bitwig
maybe I'll try and figure out reaper again

ontrackp wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:08 pm Hi BJ and Richard -- how about paid plugs for this month? Always makes it more fun (except for everyone who complains, of course!) Thanks.
Less challenge is more fun??? Come on…

Looking forward to this one! I skipped the last challenge since I encountered Cubase crashes, switched to Reaper (with a bit of a learning curve), focused too heavily on sound design and then lost all motivation when I realized the actual song ideas I had kinda sucked.

Learning from my mistakes now. Starting in Reaper, just setting up very basic sounds and focus on the songwriting from day 1. I was tempted to try another serialism-inspired piece but decided I'll probably spare y'all and write something more conventional :)

anyone managed to add the presets? I tried both the installer and the manual and I cannot see them. I use the AU file under a macOS Big Sur in Ableton

radd wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:20 pm anyone managed to add the presets? I tried both the installer and the manual and I cannot see them. I use the AU file under a macOS Big Sur in Ableton
The presets were added automatically when I installed using the standard installer (not manual install). I'm on windows though.

TheFrozenSea wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:57 pm Looking forward to this one! I skipped the last challenge since I encountered Cubase crashes, switched to Reaper (with a bit of a learning curve), focused too heavily on sound design and then lost all motivation when I realized the actual song ideas I had kinda sucked.

Learning from my mistakes now. Starting in Reaper, just setting up very basic sounds and focus on the songwriting from day 1. I was tempted to try another serialism-inspired piece but decided I'll probably spare y'all and write something more conventional :)
Talking for myself, I'd love to hear some serial weirdness... :ud:
Hope I can join in this month.

radd wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:20 pm anyone managed to add the presets? I tried both the installer and the manual and I cannot see them. I use the AU file under a macOS Big Sur in Ableton
You mean saving your own? No doesn't work over here. Instant crash in Bitwig 4.01 win10.
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

My experience with loading/saving presets so far:

The saving and managing of the presets is a bit strange (not to say unsatisfying). I'm using the AU version in Logic Pro X on macOS. The factory presets are all there and when I save a preset (directly from the plugin) it will automatically be categorized as a "user" preset, though it is stored in the same folder as the factory presets.

The default preset folder is here: (user)/Library/Audio/Presets/Phuturetone/GR-8

But there are some things which I find a bit annoying:

1) The newly saved presets do not appear in the other GR-8 instances which have already been loaded. You have to create a new track or reload the plugin on an existing track to see all the (newly) saved user presets.

2) You cannot organize the presets into subfolders. The plugin only "sees" them, when they are on the top level within the presets folder. :dog: So the "categories" are only shown inside the plugin, but cannot be represented in a folder structure.

3) The presets are stored in the .aupreset format and so they appear in the Logic Library (which is very convenient!), but are not subdivided into categories, since all presets are stored in the same folder. (Sorting the factory presets into subfolders manually doesn't work - see point 2.)

What I have done:

Actually on macOS the factory presets should be in the main Library folder and not the user Library folder, so I moved them to "/Library/Audio/Presets/Phuturetone/GR-8"

Now in the Logic Library the factory presets appear separately in a subfolder named "Factory" (as they should) and can now be distinguished from the self-made user presets (which are stored under user/Library/Audio/Presets/Phuturetone/GR-8). I've also sorted the factory presets manually into corresponding subfolders, so the categories are shown now in the Logic Library.

The drawback of this: The presets will not be shown inside the plugin anymore and can only be accessed via the Logic Library. But since it now integrates much better with the typical workflow of Logic, I will stick with it.

Hope this helps...
Last edited by 1980-F on Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”