New Cherry Audio synth plugin Sept. 16th

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
1963 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:10 pm

Examigan wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:04 pm
Maybe Jupiter 80 or MKS-80?
Jupiter 80? The digital rompler? Seems unlikely, Roland own the copyright to all the samples for a start...

KVRAF

Topic Starter

6138 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:29 pm

Actually you're right... maybe the MKS-80 then.
Last edited by Examigan on Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRian
898 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:38 pm

If it's a Jupiter 4 I hope they get a good square wave. No one ever gets the square wave right. Whenever I talk about Roland square waves, people who have zero experience with Roland analog gear say "it's just an oscillator, those are dead simple to program, the easiest thing to get right" and they are so, sooooooo wrong. The square wave sounds like some sort of sorcery.

I don't have my hopes up that they'll beat every single other VA emulations square wave, but a boy can dream.

User avatar
KVRAF
6368 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:59 pm

briefcasemanx wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:38 pm
If it's a Jupiter 4 I hope they get a good square wave. No one ever gets the square wave right. Whenever I talk about Roland square waves, people who have zero experience with Roland analog gear say "it's just an oscillator, those are dead simple to program, the easiest thing to get right" and they are so, sooooooo wrong. The square wave sounds like some sort of sorcery.
They are dead simple, but you have to do it right… Sample the original waveforms, put them in a 2D wavetable (for pulse width and frequency). That would have the additional advantage to have them easily without any aliasing… Done… way more complicated is the filter… Especially if there are non-linearities in the schematic. But the zero-delay technology is comparable to the way easier method of simply looking up waveforms of an oscillator… You compare the results…

KVRian
898 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:06 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:59 pm
briefcasemanx wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:38 pm
If it's a Jupiter 4 I hope they get a good square wave. No one ever gets the square wave right. Whenever I talk about Roland square waves, people who have zero experience with Roland analog gear say "it's just an oscillator, those are dead simple to program, the easiest thing to get right" and they are so, sooooooo wrong. The square wave sounds like some sort of sorcery.
They are dead simple, but you have to do it right… Sample the original waveforms, put them in a 2D wavetable (for pulse width and frequency). That would have the additional advantage to have them easily without any aliasing… Done… way more complicated is the filter… Especially if there are non-linearities in the schematic. But the zero-delay technology is comparable to the way easier method of simply looking up waveforms of an oscillator… You compare the results…
Meh, if you can point me to the synth that can reproduce the Jupiter 4 or any comparable square wave sound I'd appreciate it. I own almost every popular VA synth and none of them capture the magic.

The new Korg minikorg is actually somewhat decent in that area but still not quite there (compared to an old Roland at least, maybe it's perfectly faithful to the minikorg it's emulating but I haven't ever heard the hardware so I wouldn't know).

KVRist
424 posts since 31 Jan, 2018

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:16 am

DrGonzo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:41 am
I'm really impressed with the speed they are developing their software. How is it possible?
I wonder if they use the same codebase/engine from Modular underneath, chain specifically-tuned/configured modules and slap a new GUI on top of it. If that would be the case, not a dumb idea at all either way!

User avatar
KVRAF
6368 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:55 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:06 am
Meh, if you can point me to the synth that can reproduce the Jupiter 4 or any comparable square wave sound I'd appreciate it. I own almost every popular VA synth and none of them capture the magic.
This gives at least some information how the JP4 oscillators are different, but its hardware.
https://amsynths.co.uk/home/products/os ... ter-4-vco/
If you have a Jupiter 4, record the pure oscillator signal along its range. Its seems also the saw is special. Then create a wave table out of them and modulate it with the pitch. Depending how the analog waveform differs you determine the number of tables you need…

KVRian
898 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:17 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:55 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:06 am
Meh, if you can point me to the synth that can reproduce the Jupiter 4 or any comparable square wave sound I'd appreciate it. I own almost every popular VA synth and none of them capture the magic.
This gives at least some information how the JP4 oscillators are different, but its hardware.
https://amsynths.co.uk/home/products/os ... ter-4-vco/
If you have a Jupiter 4, record the pure oscillator signal along its range. Its seems also the saw is special. Then create a wave table out of them and modulate it with the pitch. Depending how the analog waveform differs you determine the number of tables you need…
I'll try to find some Jupiter 4 wavetables for serum I guess and see.

User avatar
KVRian
964 posts since 25 Jan, 2017

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:33 am

My bets are on Jupiter-4 :harp:

Image

KVRist
178 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:46 am

Since we're all guessing, mine is that it will be called Mercury 4 and it will of course be an emulation of Jupiter 4.

They called their Juno 106 for DCO 106. So, they will keep the number 4 and replace Jupiter with Mercury or another planet. That's my wild guess.

User avatar
KVRian
540 posts since 9 Apr, 2005 from Japan

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Synth Master Jedi wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:46 am
Since we're all guessing, mine is that it will be called Mercury 4 and it will of course be an emulation of Jupiter 4.

They called their Juno 106 for DCO 106. So, they will keep the number 4 and replace Jupiter with Mercury or another planet. That's my wild guess.
☝️
Stormchild

KVRAF

Topic Starter

6138 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:24 pm

I think Synth Master Jedi may be correct.

User avatar
KVRAF
1963 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:27 pm

All you'se people guessing the JP4 need to realise you can't have it, the JP4 guess was taken myself in post #2 in this thread.

Yes, I'm declaring this is a draft. ;)

You can have a guess at a modern version of the TC Mercury 1 though, that's still available:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/mercury.php

(Anyway, they'll obvs called it the "Chupiter-4"... :lol: )

KVRian
588 posts since 17 Nov, 2015 from Yuma

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:54 pm

Examigan wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:01 am
The symbols in the video seem to be for Mercury, Jupiter and Air. I get what the first two might relate to, but the Air part.. ?
the air symbol is also related to planet jupiter.
looks like its the j4 renamed into m4.
the question is just, why they even mention this symbol, unless its meant to be an acronym for the number 4.

User avatar
KVRAF
2136 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:40 am

BeeDog wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:16 am
DrGonzo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:41 am
I'm really impressed with the speed they are developing their software. How is it possible?
I wonder if they use the same codebase/engine from Modular underneath, chain specifically-tuned/configured modules and slap a new GUI on top of it. If that would be the case, not a dumb idea at all either way!
I'm convinced that's what they do. There is no way they, with the limited no. coders they have, have time to really model these synths 100% from scratch.

Looks and feel is also enough for many people to trick their minds on how 1:1 the sound really is. I am one of them. If an emulation of a synth doesn't have a perfectly sonical 1:1, I can look through that as long as the looks and feel are near enough. And of course, it needs to sound good still.

Also, analog synths (same model) don't sound 100% identical due to small differencies in the components, and analog components also wear out with time, making the synths vary more sound wise.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Return to “Instruments”