Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SQ80 V

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:23 pm
Niowiad wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:12 pm Hydrasynth :party: :party: :party:
The big Hydrasynth Deluxe has the ribbon though.
Yeah. That's the one I'm getting :borg:
The 49 keys kept me away, I was ok with 61, but 73 keys of poly-pressure I just can't resist.
I have to wait for next summer in any case, and unless something miraculous happen (like some other manufacturer's 88 hammer-action keys controller with poly-pressure), Hydrasynth Deluxe is the way to go for me :party:

Niowiad wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:12 pm
Sequent wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:37 pm Now to maybe get a Hydrasynth Explorer, which might be a nice mini controller for this as well as the CS80v besides being a very powerful synth.
Besides the SQ80 and the CS-80 plugins, there are currently other instruments in the V-Collection which provide polyphonic pressure as a modulation source, in form of Poly-Aftertouch.

ARP2600 V
Jun-6 V
Jup-8 V
Mellotron V
Modular V
OB-Xa V
Prophet V
SEM V
Synclavier V

Hydrasynth :party: :party: :party:
All the more reason to pursue a Hydra Explorer.

I would certainly love the full sized one or even the Deluxe, but I would be satisfied with the Explorer for now. Too bad that it doesn't have a ribbon controller but then again neither does the Desktop. I imagine lotsa luck trying to get one though, especially at first. :cry:

Teksonik wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:45 pm I'm thinking that Arturia wouldn't have proceeded with the project without some agreement. It's possible Creative let their rights to the Ensoniq intellectual property lapse or Creative is on board.
oh, no, sorry, with the 'Licensing' Issue I meant that Arturia is not able to deliver my license for my full version of the SQ. They sent an email saying:
"We are experiencing a short term issue and are unable to deliver your product (SQ80 V) licence immediately. "

.... and that it could take up to two days to fix the issue :cry:

Bought it yesterday afternoon, didnt anyone else experience this??

Exactly the same
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I have an issue with the sysex imports of original ensoniq banks, all patches are panned right. There is systematically an lfo or enveloppe assigned modulating the main pan. Looks like some mistake in the import mapping. Maybe it should be modulating the Level knob instead.

Bulbizarre wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:23 pm I have an issue with the sysex imports of original ensoniq banks, all patches are panned right. There is systematically an lfo or enveloppe assigned modulating the main pan. Looks like some mistake in the import mapping. Maybe it should be modulating the Level knob instead.
same banks as tek and others? (see previous pages for links)

Niowiad wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:52 pm Yeah. That's the one I'm getting :borg:
The 49 keys kept me away, I was ok with 61, but 73 keys of poly-pressure I just can't resist.
I have to wait for next summer in any case, and unless something miraculous happen (like some other manufacturer's 88 hammer-action keys controller with poly-pressure), Hydrasynth Deluxe is the way to go for me :party:
The nice thing is that one manufacturer does something like this, it increases the likelihood that someone else will look at that design and say, "we can do that better." In two or three years, maybe there will be a few more keyboard controllers with poly-AT and ribbons. Those things used to be "what for" type of features because even if hardware controllers supported them, not many instruments would have. Now, as a result of MPE picking up steam, there's a world of instruments (virtual and real) that can take advantage of these types of things.

Hydrasynth is a wonderful synth, one of my favorite purchases this year :)

Hydrasynth seems like a grown up version of the Ultranova... maybe if Focusrite had the appropriate hardware technology and maybe it they had taken it just a little more seriously. The one cool thing that they did is the software editor and librarian. But this is a thread about the SQ80 V...

Why is everybody talking about some hydrasynth? Am I in the wrong thread or something?

To be honest, I don't even know or care what a hydrasynth is, as I assume that it's hardware, and hardware synths aren't really on my radar anymore.

Regarding the SQ80 plugin, I don't have much to add to the conversation, as I've never owned a real one before, but I think the plugin looks and works nicely and I'm liking the sounds coming from it. I haven't tried programming any of my own sounds yet, I've just been going through some of the presets and playing around.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:17 pm Why is everybody talking about some hydrasynth? Am I in the wrong thread or something?
Oh, It was just the last few posts :hug:

It was brought up because the original SQ80 keyboard responds to polyphonic pressure, so does the Arturia plugin, and the Hydrasynth is basically the only (currently in production and currently available) "standard layout and size" keyboard controller which allows polyphonic pressure/expression.

Niowiad wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:52 pm Oh, It was just the last few posts :hug:

It was brought up because the original SQ80 keyboard responded to polyphonic pressure, so does the Arturia plugin, and the Hydrasynth is basically the only (currently in production and currently available) "standard layout and size" keyboard controller which supports polyphonic pressure/expression.
Ok, I see why it was mentioned now.

Do you know if polyphonic pressure means that if somebody holds down a C chord for example, then each note will be a different velocity, depending on how hard somebody strikes the keys?

Or is it like polyphonic aftertouch, where somebody can hold down a C chord for example and then manipulate each note afterwards, by applying pressure to each note individually, after the initial strike?

I remember owning an Akai S1000 KB back in the day which had polyphonic aftertouch, but I never really used it to be honest. I guess it depends on what kind of music somebody makes.

For the SQ80 (and several other Ensoniq keyboards) it was technically "polyphonic aftertouch", as you described it.

I used the word "pressure" to indicate the physical act and somehow put both PolyAT and MPE-pressure under the same roof, although they are distinct signals. This plugin can deal with both, apparently.

I agree its usefulness as a mod-source definitely could depend on genre, workflow and playing style.

Edouard Arturia wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:56 pm Hello people.
I just wanted to say thank you for the kind words here, even the non-fanboys delivered some love, so I felt the need to send some love too :wink:
SQ80 was a really fun project, I've enjoyed working on it and I'm really pleased to see the product out now.
I hope you will enjoy exchanging and importing your presets and can't way to hear some songs posted here.
All the best & keep making great music.
Hi! Thanks for stopping by, Edouard!

You guys at Arturia are really getting a lot of things right nowadays - I'll definitely be buying your SQ80 reinvented/virtualized in a week or so. So far my current gen fave of your V collection is the the 4th version of the Sup Jup - it sounds great! But in fairness: overall CPU usage for it as well as many of your V's is still pretty high. Yes, a fast computer helps to mitigate the cpu load, but it's still noticeable.

OK: If I can bother you with my personal $64,000 question: when is the CS-80V's odometer going to roll over to 4.X? Can you at least confirm that it's either being currently reworked, or slated for deep dive code rewriting soon?

Thanks! -GA

Like what I've seen so far. Another good release from Arturia!

Return to “Instruments”