Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SQ80 V

olepro wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:48 pm Hi all, and you too Arturia
I have now tried to import some sounds from my hardware SQ80 to make some comparisons with Arturia SQ80-V and also SQ8L

The most attack patches sounds wrong in Arturia SQ80
I have made an audio file which shows it very clearly.
It plays in this order: Ensoniq SQ80, SQ8L and last Arturia
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12glJqw ... sp=sharing
Woah -- this is more important than the Hydrasynth (sorry, kids).

If the SQ 80 V can't reproduce the original's iconic bell sounds, what good is it?

Is this the only issue you've heard, or does it have problems with other parts of the signal path or synthesis?

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

The issue could be with the import. Perhaps something isn't translating correctly.

I was on the fence but ended up buying this one. I have SO many high quality sound generators. And I just took delivery of a Wavestate last week (despite not really liking hardware). Yet this SQ80 V gives me the SQ8L again (except 64bit and much more enhanced) and I really enjoyed that one.

There is some interesting play with the envelopes and the filter plus the harsh digital sound from the oscillators that all mesh really well imo. Sounds like nothing else I own. I'm very happy Arturia took the time to (re)create this one!

The soundpacks are really nice and I noticed the 'Import' menu option showed up as soon as I activated it. So far the few patches I've imported don't really sound like the sample audio of them though. I think the envelopes or modulators might not be always coming across? It's a young piece of code though so I'm sure there will be updates.

Good to know people are getting it activated. It gives me hope that one day I will too.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Effectsworks wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:04 am Like what I've seen so far. Another good release from Arturia!
Absolutely brilliant, worthy $49 and much more 😀

VitaminD wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:52 am I was on the fence but ended up buying this one. I have SO many high quality sound generators. And I just took delivery of a Wavestate last week (despite not really liking hardware). Yet this SQ80 V gives me the SQ8L again (except 64bit and much more enhanced) and I really enjoyed that one.

There is some interesting play with the envelopes and the filter plus the harsh digital sound from the oscillators that all mesh really well imo. Sounds like nothing else I own. I'm very happy Arturia took the time to (re)create this one!

The soundpacks are really nice and I noticed the 'Import' menu option showed up as soon as I activated it. So far the few patches I've imported don't really sound like the sample audio of them though. I think the envelopes or modulators might not be always coming across? It's a young piece of code though so I'm sure there will be updates.
Yes, I have compared it to the hardware, and it does not do well for now.
Too many problems translating the modulators and filter to sound exactly like the hardware.
SQ8L does it A LOT better
Listen to this soundfile. First playing are Hardware, SQ8L and last Arturia
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

planetearth wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:22 am
olepro wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:48 pm Hi all, and you too Arturia
I have now tried to import some sounds from my hardware SQ80 to make some comparisons with Arturia SQ80-V and also SQ8L

The most attack patches sounds wrong in Arturia SQ80
I have made an audio file which shows it very clearly.
It plays in this order: Ensoniq SQ80, SQ8L and last Arturia
Woah -- this is more important than the Hydrasynth (sorry, kids).

If the SQ 80 V can't reproduce the original's iconic bell sounds, what good is it?

Is this the only issue you've heard, or does it have problems with other parts of the signal path or synthesis?

Steve
In this bell sound there's use of some unusual settings to make the attack, but this should be able to work in a professional emulation.
Somehow SQ8L does all this perfect.
I haven't come across any patch SQ8L does wrong, no matter how extreme modulators is used in the synth.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Are arturia aware of this problem?

I wrote in the Arturia forum also
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

olepro wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:40 am
VitaminD wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:52 am I was on the fence but ended up buying this one. I have SO many high quality sound generators. And I just took delivery of a Wavestate last week (despite not really liking hardware). Yet this SQ80 V gives me the SQ8L again (except 64bit and much more enhanced) and I really enjoyed that one.

Yes, I have compared it to the hardware, and it does not do well for now.
Too many problems translating the modulators and filter to sound exactly like the hardware.
SQ8L does it A LOT better
Listen to this soundfile. First playing are Hardware, SQ8L and last Arturia
Is the SQ80 V example in that imported or was it a standard preset it has? I was wondering, as I noticed in your other post you mentioned importing.
Last edited by Examigan on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

This patch is imported and is my own creation
There's many others of my patches not sounding right in the Arturia synth
SQ8L is spot on compared to the hardware
I am in dialog with Arturia :-)
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey. A non-biased and honest 1st impression and review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P---AAuVOhg

olepro wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:10 am I am in dialog with Arturia :-)
This is good, I'm sure it will be sorted.

I'm enjoying this synth as an ex-ESQ-1 user, but have no way to compare as I now have a Fizmo.

When someone recreates the Adamski Killer bass sound spot on i'm interested. So far nothing have even remotely impressed me, Arturia needs better sound designers.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

Return to “Instruments”