Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SQ80 V

Whoops, you are correct, Olepro, my bad, too much coffee this morning, missed that!

I'm waiting for a SQ8L vs SQ80V comparison. I keep buying these Arturia emulations and thinking to myself "seems like its almost there" and then I hear a better version and I say to myself "why did I buy this I will never use it. Maybe I have Arturia fatigue. Just watching their product demo presenter I wasn't impressed, especially after playing 5 minutes with the sq8l)

How are you guys getting the .syx files in? My SQ-80V is looking for .sqx files, with no all types option.

If you have an .8XL file downloaded, this can be opened by selecting 'Load Library' from SQ8L's file menu. Then on the same file menu you have an option to 'Export Bank File' into a .syx that can then be recognised and imported within Arturia's SQ80 (that's how I've been doing it at least!)

felis wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:46 am How are you guys getting the .syx files in? My SQ-80V is looking for .sqx files, with no all types option.
If you choose Import, you should see a dialog box that lets you import files of types: .sqx; .alplaylist; .aplst; .alconcert; .syx
Fernando (FMR)

The SQ-80V sounds really nice and is a joy to program. I'm getting some nice, warm, filter-sweeping, analogue style pads out of it. Great to have 4 effects slots too.

A strange Synth :)
It has its own character for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7fbmgAI4I

fmr wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:55 am
felis wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:46 am How are you guys getting the .syx files in? My SQ-80V is looking for .sqx files, with no all types option.
If you choose Import, you should see a dialog box that lets you import files of types: .sqx; .alplaylist; .aplst; .alconcert; .syx
:dog: I was trying to do it thru a 'playlist'. Forgot about the simpler 'import' in the upper left box.
Works fine. Thanks.

jojoB3 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:28 pm BTW, for those who would like to see a quick and basic run through of the vintage SQ80 in action RetroLinear has a decent vid. Examples of everything 1-2 button presses away in function, it's dead easy/get work done sequencer and live performance usage of it (thanks to Ensoniq), aftertouch, and more all without leaving the keyboard and minutia with a mouse and screen.

Also notice in the beginning the fluid patch switching. You can be playing one patch and switch to another which will sound with the next key press, no stop - no stutter. Excellent in regard to performance (again, thanks to Ensoniq).

Digital OSC + Analog filter = yes :)

*And instead of buying the (overpriced) vintage voice carts one should B-line it to buy any one of the latest RAM carts made for the ESQ/SQ80. Some come with the entire past library as a starting point in creating your own. Or of course you can use the floppy disc or sysex routes.

https://youtu.be/m7JddJ6V4xM
Sounds soo cool!

Norqa wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:43 am A strange Synth :)
It has its own character for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7fbmgAI4I
Great demo and video! :tu:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:39 pm Great demo and video! :tu:
To be clear I didn't create the presentation I just linked to Belibat. :)
I actually went through a few youtube vids and the above caught my attention as a good demo of what the Sq-80 V can do in the right hands.

olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 am I have the hardware Ensoniq SQ80 to compare with
I am in contact/dialog with Arturia about these problems and they know there is problems.
I think the Arturia synth is awsome, but I also think it is sad if it is not faithful to the original.
Are you the Ole mentioned in the readme for SQ8L ?

Like I said earlier this is the initial release of SQ80V. As long as Arturia is aware of the issues and is willing to work on them I imagine they will get fixed. I assumed they had a hardware SQ80 at hand while creating the project but perhaps not.

I see there are SQ80V threads at the Arturia forums so we can all report there and help with testing. Seems like only a single beta tester is involved at this point but if he's getting the message to the developers then that's a start.

Import issues aside it's still a great sounding synth that's fun to program so until (if) the issues are fixed it can still be enjoyed. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

functionform wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:40 am I'm waiting for a SQ8L vs SQ80V comparison. I keep buying these Arturia emulations and thinking to myself "seems like its almost there" and then I hear a better version and I say to myself "why did I buy this I will never use it. Maybe I have Arturia fatigue. Just watching their product demo presenter I wasn't impressed, especially after playing 5 minutes with the sq8l)
To be honest while the SQ8L may import .syx more faithfully I find its overall sound rather unpleasant in comparison to the SQ80V.

Given the added features in the SQ80V it's well worth owning to me even if the SQ80L is free and still works if you have a bit bridge. :shrug:

Oh and is anyone else wishing the FX page was available as a separate plugin? Good selection of FX that can be set in any order and sound quite nice.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

grymmjack wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:24 pm Hey. A non-biased and honest 1st impression and review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P---AAuVOhg
It's not a review as such more like how well you can do the speech impediment trick the most in one video. :)
I hope this is not how you will now be promoting yourself ;)

Teksonik wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm
olepro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 am I have the hardware Ensoniq SQ80 to compare with
I am in contact/dialog with Arturia about these problems and they know there is problems.
I think the Arturia synth is awsome, but I also think it is sad if it is not faithful to the original.
Are you the Ole mentioned in the readme for SQ8L ?

Like I said earlier this is the initial release of SQ80V. As long as Arturia is aware of the issues and is willing to work on them I imagine they will get fixed. I assumed they had a hardware SQ80 at hand while creating the project but perhaps not.

I see there are SQ80V threads at the Arturia forums so we can all report there and help with testing. Seems like only a single beta tester is involved at this point but if he's getting the message to the developers then that's a start.

Import issues aside it's still a great sounding synth that's fun to program so until (if) the issues are fixed it can still be enjoyed. :tu:
Yes, it's me in the readme.
I had dialog and testing with Siegfried Kuhlmann after the very first SQ8L release.
And you are right about SQ80-V
It is a great synth, and that's why i so much want the emulation part to be as good as possible.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Return to “Instruments”