Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
16439 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm

Here's an image showing the On/Off bug in action. All three Oscs are off yet as you can see by the meter the SQ80V is still generating audio. Turning all three buttons on then off again did mute all audio.

Now what exact steps I took to make this happen I didn't note. I was simply making a patch and encountered the behavior. I'll report this at the Arturia forums if I can reliably reproduce the issue and in other DAWs.

SQ80V 091721-2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
4567 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:48 pm

fu
Last edited by codec_spurt on Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
150 posts since 26 Jul, 2019

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm

After some deliberation I went ahead and upgraded to V8 + SQ80 V. I had been thinking about taking the V Collection route, but SQ80 finally pushed me over the edge. Buying individual licenses just doesn't make sense. Anyhow, now I've got enough new toys to keep me occupied for a while :D

KVRAF
7611 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:42 pm

itanever wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm
Anyhow, now I've got enough new toys to keep me occupied for a while :D
For a looooong time!! ;)

I regret somehow selling my VC7 but I didn't need all the VC collection, anyhow, as you reached this conclusion, it doesn't make sense to buy what I like individually (they start from the latest going down with time passed!), so mostly I will buy the collection again, maybe VC9 with a discounted price :phones:

Pick Me Pick me!
9028 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from a state of confusion

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:45 pm

codec_spurt: I take it you strongly detest this instrument. :hihi:

KVRer
12 posts since 6 Mar, 2005

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 pm

olepro wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:45 am
Teksonik wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:05 am
olepro wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:20 pm
I have the hardware Ensoniq SQ80 to compare with
I am in contact/dialog with Arturia about these problems and they know there is problems.
I think the Arturia synth is awsome, but I also think it is sad if it is not faithful to the original.
Are you the Ole mentioned in the readme for SQ8L ?

Like I said earlier this is the initial release of SQ80V. As long as Arturia is aware of the issues and is willing to work on them I imagine they will get fixed. I assumed they had a hardware SQ80 at hand while creating the project but perhaps not.

I see there are SQ80V threads at the Arturia forums so we can all report there and help with testing. Seems like only a single beta tester is involved at this point but if he's getting the message to the developers then that's a start.

Import issues aside it's still a great sounding synth that's fun to program so until (if) the issues are fixed it can still be enjoyed. :tu:
Yes, it's me in the readme.
I had dialog and testing with Siegfried Kuhlmann after the very first SQ8L release.
And you are right about SQ80-V
It is a great synth, and that's why i so much want the emulation part to be as good as possible.
Interesting. Can you confirm that Siegfried KuLLmann has passed away? I already had this assumption a few years ago. And there was an answer, among other things, that the man should have had a profile on Facebook. But why should someone who has developed an interesting synth and wanted to develop it further, stop uttering a sound overnight if he was supposedly still alive?
Last edited by MartyK on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
11392 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 pm

So, I have a question about the Transwaves. The only Transwave synth I ever owned was the TS-10, and when you went though the positions you got a totally different deal. I feel like the SQ-80 V is just doing something like a width modulation and not really modeling the behavior of Transwaves. That said, I don’t know what the VFX was like.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KVRAF
4304 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:47 pm

itanever wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm
Anyhow, now I've got enough new toys to keep me occupied for a while :D
That's what we feel after getting new toys :tu: until a new(er) toy is out. :(

KVRAF
1652 posts since 19 Apr, 2003 from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:34 am

MartyK wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 pm
olepro wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:45 am
Teksonik wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:05 am
olepro wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:20 pm
I have the hardware Ensoniq SQ80 to compare with
I am in contact/dialog with Arturia about these problems and they know there is problems.
I think the Arturia synth is awsome, but I also think it is sad if it is not faithful to the original.
Are you the Ole mentioned in the readme for SQ8L ?

Like I said earlier this is the initial release of SQ80V. As long as Arturia is aware of the issues and is willing to work on them I imagine they will get fixed. I assumed they had a hardware SQ80 at hand while creating the project but perhaps not.

I see there are SQ80V threads at the Arturia forums so we can all report there and help with testing. Seems like only a single beta tester is involved at this point but if he's getting the message to the developers then that's a start.

Import issues aside it's still a great sounding synth that's fun to program so until (if) the issues are fixed it can still be enjoyed. :tu:
Yes, it's me in the readme.
I had dialog and testing with Siegfried Kuhlmann after the very first SQ8L release.
And you are right about SQ80-V
It is a great synth, and that's why i so much want the emulation part to be as good as possible.
Interesting. Can you confirm that Siegfried KuLLmann has passed away? I already had this assumption a few years ago. And there was an answer, among other things, that the man should have had a profile on Facebook. But why should someone who has developed an interesting synth and wanted to develop it further, stop uttering a sound overnight if he was supposedly still alive?
No I cannot confirm anything lille this, that he passed away.
But i have had another thouht, but it is free fantasy.
Around that time another musician passed away. "Pete D Namlook" a great synth guro
His artist name Namlook was his last name Kuhlmann as it sound saying it backwards.
His real name was Peter Kuhlmann
I have been wandering if they were brothers, and it could have been this that stopped Siegfried Kuhlmann developing?
But again, this utter speculation
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

KVRAF
30020 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:38 am

Yes, it is. ;) Apart from that, IIRC, development on SQ8L stopped WAY earlier.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRAF
1586 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:04 am

100 points to the first person who can tell me what on earth Velocity-Exp ???!!!

The video's skip over it, the manual has no explanation of it. I can't see much difference from velocity apart from a slightly different amount shown on the GUI. Does it just have a different range?

Any idea?

KVRAF
6151 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:32 am

I guess exponential or expression... (?)

KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:43 am

Examigan wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:32 am
I guess exponential or expression... (?)
I though expression too and hoped it was combined with pressure. I think exponential is more likely as it reacts that way. Never seen it before.

KVRian
964 posts since 25 Jan, 2017

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:49 am

Yeah it seems like it lets you choose between a linear and an exponential velocity curve, as separate modulation sources.

I don't know if that's a thing from the hardware. It could be.

The two separate kinds of keyboard tracking are in some way a "similar" thing.

KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:01 am

Niowiad wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:49 am
Yeah it seems like it lets you choose between a linear and an exponential velocity curve, as separate modulation sources.

I don't know if that's a thing from the hardware. It could be.

The two separate kinds of keyboard tracking are in some way a "similar" thing.
Yeah I was just about to comment on that. The Key-tracking is uni-polar (1) and bi-polar (2). :D

These simple features allow advanced sound design techniques are are really great features. It's a shame they've been overlooked in the manual and tutorials.

Return to “Instruments”