24 Synth Supersaw Comparison

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

e-crooner wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:26 pm They sound all the same to me, except for the max setting, where most are too detuned to sound right. The Toneboosters sounds fine even with max detune :)
Are you listening on a phone in mono??? :lol: They really don't all sound the same at all. There are some big differences.

Ploki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:31 pm At first i didn't want to go in blind, but then i went in blind anyway.
I'll type this as i go, so i can make an ass of myself, then i'll check the results.
#1 okay i guess, not thing special.
#2 instant true 90s sound.
#3 okay.
#4 was just ass
#5 was bad but i liked it subjectively.
#6 beautiful unisono, ass single.
#7 yes please solo line. Unison was ok.
#8 nice solo line, a bit phasey. Nice unisono. i wanna buy this if i don't have it already
#9 phasey solo, shit unisono. no like. will sell if i do have it.
#10 bit thin but ok
#12 gorgeous solo line. gorgeous unison. tie with #2, but maybe #2 is still better
#13 raspy. is this even a saw. Sounds like a sample.
#14 soft. has a special character
#15 dull. Also unisono.
#16 nice solo. meh unisono.
#17 spicey solo, but brighter than others. very fat unisono. I hope this is diva :D
#18 hefy unisono. Is this diva? great unisono.
#19 wtf is this, no.
#20 decent, unisono is shit.
#21 solo line is shit. Unisono is...shit
#22 plasticky as f**k. is this samples
#23 wtf is this lol. decent but so mono..
#24 what garbage is this lol
I'm glad you had fun doing the blind test! :D

Ploki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:36 pm should've stacked diva :(
it sounds like ass but it's mono compared to other clips
I've heard better Saws than this from Zebra - i bought zebra because of a saw preset :D
If I stack diva I can stack Dune, Rapid, etc.. I had to keep it fair. But Diva can be played with to create huge supersaw but that's for a different test. :tu:

LeVzi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 pm No Tone2 synths either.

Incidentally I bought some presets for Hive off Newloops yesterday, they are pretty good too.
Thanks for the support! :love: Hive Double pack I am guessing? Did you see the Hive wavetable pack? https://newloops.com/products/wavetable-hive-presets

hm, these sound cool - tempting

Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:34 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:26 pm They sound all the same to me, except for the max setting, where most are too detuned to sound right. The Toneboosters sounds fine even with max detune :)
Are you listening on a phone in mono??? :lol: They really don't all sound the same at all. There are some big differences.
Hehe, no. stereo phone :hihi: Kidding, stereo desktop speakers, 80 cm apart.

I just tried it on another synth, with 8 waves, the detune limit seems to be more or less 15 cents, beyond that it sounds wrong with most chords.

OK. I freaking love supersaws. The best results I've ever obtained are with :

1/ Avenger
2/ Rapid
3/ Thorn
4/ MPowerSynth (my best supersaw ever)
5/ Navira
6/ Electra2

My personal view is : f*ck blindtests, f*ck easy programming, f*ck fast tweaking. I make supersaws every single week for EDM production and these are the synths I work with.
You don't agree ? OK, cool. Find your own way and make your own best supersaws. I don't care, mine are perfect to me. :shrug:

EDIT : in no way I mean the OP made cheap programming here. I mean I have my way of working, and this just doesn't reflect what I think I'm able to obtain with these synths. There are tweakings you just can't hear here. People may be misleaded into thinking this is the best you can get from them. This is my point : just, NO.
Last edited by DJErmac on Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:42 pm
LeVzi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 pm No Tone2 synths either.

Incidentally I bought some presets for Hive off Newloops yesterday, they are pretty good too.
Thanks for the support! :love: Hive Double pack I am guessing? Did you see the Hive wavetable pack? https://newloops.com/products/wavetable-hive-presets
No I didn't , nice one. And it was the double pack.Really nice presets.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

DJErmac wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:17 pm OK. I freaking love supersaws. The best results I've ever obtained are with :

1/ Avenger
2/ Rapid
3/ Thorn
5/ Navira
6/ Electra2

My personal view is : f*ck blindtests, f*ck easy programming, f*ck fast tweaking. I make supersaws every single week for EDM production and these are the synths I work with.
You don't agree ? OK, cool. Find your own way and make your own best supersaws. I don't care, mine are perfect to me. :shrug:

EDIT : in no way I mean the OP made cheap programming here. I mean I have my way of working, and this just doesn't reflect what I think I'm able to obtain with these synths. There are tweakings you just can't hear here. People may be misleaded into thinking this is the best you can get from them. This is my point : just, NO.
Did you read the page at all? Including the conclusions and observations at the bottom???

e-crooner wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:09 pm

I just tried it on another synth, with 8 waves, the detune limit seems to be more or less 15 cents, beyond that it sounds wrong with most chords.
Btw, I though the toneboosters one sounded surprisingly good at typical detuning. But it does some very strange thing with the detune fully closed - its almost like note stealing. Listen to that audio again. It is higher pitch than any other synth but only with the detune closed - a bug perhaps?? :?

Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:41 pm
DJErmac wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:17 pm OK. I freaking love supersaws. The best results I've ever obtained are with :

1/ Avenger
2/ Rapid
3/ Thorn
5/ Navira
6/ Electra2

Did you read the page at all? Including the conclusions and observations at the bottom???
Yeah, that's why I don't blame YOU in any way.
I just think that supersaw making is not simply selecting a saw and then applying a detune, when synths offer so many options to complexify the sound.
You made that blindtest with your own rules searching for some kind of objectivity and I respect that, I wanted to add that if you break those rules, you can get amazing things from some of those synths.
And some, imho, not.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:45 pm

Btw, I though the toneboosters one sounded surprisingly good at typical detuning. But it does some very strange thing with the detune fully closed - its almost like note stealing. Listen to that audio again. It is higher pitch than any other synth but only with the detune closed - a bug perhaps?? :?
Yes, I had noticed that as well, but didn't think much about it. Maybe some phase thing?

e-crooner wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:24 pm
Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:45 pm

Yes, I had noticed that as well, but didn't think much about it. Maybe some phase thing?
Yeah I'm not sure. Would be good to show the dev.

Same here.

Here's what's throwing this off for me. I'm not comparing apples vs apples. I'm tasting apples, bananas, strawberries, watermelon in that order. Then I'm getting a different apple, a different bannana, a different strawberry, and a different watermelon, and that's being repeated 24 times in total.

Then at the end I'm being asked, "did you prefer strawberry 1 or strawberry 23?" That's just a hard thing to ask. My ears are being reset every time the single note sequence starts up again.

For me, a better test would've been:

1. Single note sequence 24 times in a row
2. Minimum detune 24 times in a row
3. Medium detune 24 times in a row
4. Maximum detune 24 times in a row (all examples using the same order)

That way my ears wouldn't be getting reset by that single note sequence at minimum detune.

...And of them, the only one I'd really be interested in is how the medium detuned ones compare.

And now I've got Strawberry Letter 23 (Brothers Johnson version) stuck in my head. Not a bad thing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0bdLdTJdKI

Brothers Johnson had some great songs :tu:
The famous bass player died a few years ago :?

The order is not so much my problem, but the fact that he selected some medium setting, which introduces a subjective element.
The max setting also makes little sense when it sounds so wrong. That wrong sound may even hide a very nice supersaw sound quality as the hearing focuses so much on the pitch mess.

Return to “Instruments”