Cherry Audio Releases Mercury-4 Compuphonic Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Mercury-4 Polyphonic Synthesizer

Cool, that seems to have done the trick but it wasn't where I expected it to be so I didn't find it last night (not that I looked too hard).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Kudos to Cherry Audio for making such a challenging emulation. Just for comparison purposes, please take a look at those original sounds:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDx ... Qpui-6s9ao

briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:07 pm I like how this sounds. I don't think it sounds the same as other cherry synths but I'm willing to be proven wrong. I'm also conflicted cause I'm not sure if it's sounds close to a Jupiter 4. I'd love another comparison video like they had with the memorymoog. The square wave isn't doing it for me like the hardware, but I havent messed with it that much yet. The square wave sound is what I'm most interested in with a Jupiter 4.
Yes, the square wave of the Jupiter 4 is Heaven on Earth. :love: :love: :love:
Here is a all-square-wave Jupiter demo (maybe 0’0001 sawtooth, as far as I can remember).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhjftx0mp3ew ... .flac?dl=0

Raw unprocessed sound. That’s the real thing.

Friendly Noise wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:04 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:07 pm I like how this sounds. I don't think it sounds the same as other cherry synths but I'm willing to be proven wrong. I'm also conflicted cause I'm not sure if it's sounds close to a Jupiter 4. I'd love another comparison video like they had with the memorymoog. The square wave isn't doing it for me like the hardware, but I havent messed with it that much yet. The square wave sound is what I'm most interested in with a Jupiter 4.
Here is a all-square-wave Jupiter demo (maybe 0’0001 sawtooth, as far as I can remember).

Nice. I'm gonna try to reproduce some of those sounds in the cherry synth and see what I can get.

By the way... for those of you who are in the U.S. you can save $5 if you get Mercury-4 at AudioDeluxe.com. I had some deluxe bucks saved up from previous purchases so I was able to pick it up for about $27. I think JRR shop might also be running a special.

I know $5 isn't perhaps a lot but then again sometimes every bit helps! :)
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Nice!

Can't say if the filter is as juicy as the original but overall performs well for the short time I tried it.

The GUI is way too wide it's a bit challenging for me but the "focus" helps a lot.

Now what is this internet connected plugin on startup? Is VST allowed to go on the web? Not sure I like it.

Sequent wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:57 pm By the way... for those of you who are in the U.S. you can save $5 if you get Mercury-4 at AudioDeluxe.com. I had some deluxe bucks saved up from previous purchases so I was able to pick it up for about $27. I think JRR shop might also be running a special.

I know $5 isn't perhaps a lot but then again sometimes every bit helps! :)
I’m seeing $39 at both, same as Cherry’s website.

Add to cart to see the coupon code applied, then use your audio deluxe bucks (if you have any) during checkout.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:42 pm

Nice. I'm gonna try to reproduce some of those sounds in the cherry synth and see what I can get.
What are your experiences with patch matching here? I feel like I can dial in fairly close, but the real JP4 has these plucky, acoustic envelopes with these absolutely musical decay stages that I am having a difficult time with here.

There'a a guy on the one discord i hang out on who has a JP4, and he gave me a couple of hi res patches to match against - it's a very un-musical test, but there were some fairly big behavioral differences.

This is not to say its a horrible synth; not at all. the fact that is that for $39 for this overall quality blows my mind.

XpanderDude wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:49 am

What are your experiences with patch matching here? I feel like I can dial in fairly close, but the real JP4 has these plucky, acoustic envelopes with these absolutely musical decay stages that I am having a difficult time with here.

There'a a guy on the one discord i hang out on who has a JP4, and he gave me a couple of hi res patches to match against - it's a very un-musical test, but there were some fairly big behavioral differences.

This is not to say its a horrible synth; not at all. the fact that is that for $39 for this overall quality blows my mind.
I haven't tried just yet, but feel free to post the high res patches. Did he post settings or anything?

How do I attach an mp3 file here? I can upload the file with a resonance sweep at two settings on the real JP4

https://voca.ro/11hFjTCdS6IH

Here's the mp3 uploaded. First play is saw wave, full resonance, cutoff at zero, keyboard tracking at max, VCF ENV max, VCF ENV attack max, decay max, sustain 0, release zero.

Second pass is same thing, just with resonance slightly lower on the edge of self oscillation.

pic of setting:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... image0.jpg

To be honest, Cheery Audio deserves a great respect for being the first software brand trying to emulate the Jupiter 4. It’s really a very challenging synthesizer.

What makes the Jupiter 4 unique:
- The sound of the square wave.
- The audio range LFO with leakage into the audio path.
- The beyond beautiful filter response.
- The incredibly fast musical envelopes.
- The massive distortion on the signal path when you crank the VCA slider.

Specially the last one is extremely hard to reproduce in software. Check out that video:
https://youtu.be/osGPDtijKNs
Can the software sound like that?

I can try it and see how close I can get (or you can try the demo version) but I don't know all the settings you used on the hardware. The first part sounds basic, but then some other settings were changed along the way (besides output level on the right and volume on left side) I am not sure about.

SLiC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:10 am Pretty much all of the VST VA synths ever made 'can' pretty much sound the same, there is only so much difference that can be achieved mixing a few basic oscillator shapes and a subtractive filter and minimal modulation (limited by copying old hardware's limitations).

Personally whilst I admire the work in this and 1000's of other bits of software modelling old hardware, the old analogue stuff is the least interesting stuff to model in my opinion.
Your post is like a breath of fresh air in a room full of stale analog smoke. :hihi:

I think the key word is "difference". Yes each synth has its own character and that's why we own more than one but there is only so much real difference between a Saw Bass and a Saw Bass. Yes one synth might be brighter, one darker, one "snappier" as the kids like to say these days but in the end they're all just Saw Basses.

Same with pads, leads etc. Different character but not really different sounds. There's only so much you can do with Saw,Square,Sine, Pulse, and Triangle waveforms.

Having said that I do like the character of the Mercury 4 and the price puts it near no-brainer range so I'll probably pick it up at some point. The problem for me with these kinds of simple synths is I get bored with them so quickly. How many Saw Bass patches can you make before the appeal wears off ?
:shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”