Chromaphone 3 - pitch bend and CPU spikes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

Looking into this fabulous synth. As an existing Prism owner, I am looking to expand my palette.

For Chromaphone 3, CPU is very high but I think this was to be expected.

My main issue is when doing pitchbends, the CPU spikes and sound drops.
Not all sounds do it but most have the issue.

Anyone else with this? Any workarounds?

Thanks!

Yes I have it and wrote support about it and basically they said "it is what it is". I think the Chromaphone 3 CPU usage is unacceptable, but it's still a really nice sounding and unique instrument that I wouldn't want to miss. I usually just bounce out anything I make with it pretty quickly.

Thanks, that's too bad! I will have to think about this.

CPU I could manage with disabling effects and poly etc.

But the pitch bend hmmm.. I might not use it so much (there is a pitch env. ) so maybe that'll fly.

On the fence here.

Cheers

Yikes, that Pitch Bend definitely kills the CPU huh.... was maxing out around 2% CPU no mater how many notes I chucked at it until I clicked and dragged that Pitch wheel rapidly up and down - Instant crackles (and this is on a i9-10900k!)

Wondering if this is an unreported bug ?

I reported it and I'm sure many others did too.
I never got an answer from them, which is atypical for AAS in my experience until Chromaphone 3.
So I assume that they were swamped with these reports and stopped responding.

It's really sad that they seem unable to develop anything new and only slap new GUIs, presets and layers on the same old thing over and over, without at the same time also improving performance/multithreading (the layers really shout for it) or the underlying algorithms.
I can't really use Chromaphone 3 on my rather beefy, but older machine.

Extremely sad, since I love physical modelling...
I stopped buying from them.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I tried again and it's not that bad considering how much some patches have going on in the background,

A patch can have dual layer and each layer have 2 models with many effects at same time so that's a lot really if I look at an close equivalent like Prism.

Pitchbend works fine on a simple patch actually. Using mono is another option (hopefull they can add legato too eventually). L

I still think they should address the pitchbend but it looks like the engine is being really taxed here when doing this. PM is not the same as VA computally speaking I am sure.

Using pitch enveloppes and LFO is the way to go here imo but even this can drop out a patch sometimes.

I wouldn't be too hard on them but it's still a bit of bummer.

mcbpete wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:49 pm Wondering if this is an unreported bug ?
They said no, pitch bend just uses a lot of CPU in comparison to other modulation, since it affects every parameter at once. I could have a look at the exact wording later.

I wish they would just add multi core support or something, but I doubt they will. It's still a very nice instrument though..

Yeah.. Chromaphone 3 is CPU hog.

I'm happy with layering two Chromaphone 2's instead of using Chromaphone 3.

Sadly, they have not been able to improve the CPU usage via an Update.

Now would you look at that, they fixed it. Pleasantly surprised.

Fixes
* Fixed crash when changing layer labels in Bitwig Studio and Presonus Studio One.
* Fixed pitch bend range.
* Fixed VST3 plug-in editor resize in Acoustica Mixcraft.
* Home page waveform was disappearing after changing sampling rate.

Pitchbends do seem smoother but I'm still finding the knobs tend to become unresponsive while you are playing. Still end up mostly using Chromaphone 2 for actual sound design just because it's easier to edit sounds with, then bringing into C3 just for layering and performance.

So all is pretty manageable in the end if you are conservative and pay attention.

Great synth, really! Sounds very bright, crisp with plenty of everything.

Physical Modeling is my way to go to make up for large sample libraries I am trying to stay away from.

I just pulled the trigger and bought it.

I turned down the number of Voices in Chromaphone 3 to Four Voices in the Settings, this helped in reducing CPU load a bit, I wonder if it supports using multiple cores ? Some VSTs have a multicore support that can be enabled to offer better CPU performance, Chromaphone 3 doesn't have this in the settings.

Muziksculp wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:50 pm I turned down the number of Voices in Chromaphone 3 to Four Voices in the Settings, this helped in reducing CPU load a bit, I wonder if it supports using multiple cores ? Some VSTs have a multicore support that can be enabled to offer better CPU performance, Chromaphone 3 doesn't have this in the settings.
I'm not sure if it has multicore for sounds that use both layers (which would make the most sense) but I have found if I duplicate a layer it doesn't appear to increase the CPU hit noticeably so maybe it does?

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:55 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:50 pm I turned down the number of Voices in Chromaphone 3 to Four Voices in the Settings, this helped in reducing CPU load a bit, I wonder if it supports using multiple cores ? Some VSTs have a multicore support that can be enabled to offer better CPU performance, Chromaphone 3 doesn't have this in the settings.
I'm not sure if it has multicore for sounds that use both layers (which would make the most sense) but I have found if I duplicate a layer it doesn't appear to increase the CPU hit noticeably so maybe it does?
It's not something I can deduct if it does or doesn't use Multicore.

Maybe emailing AAS Support would be the best way to find out if it actually does. I personally doubt it does, but not sure.

I also suggested multi core support (when it was released) and they just said that they don't comment on development.

Return to “Instruments”