Chromaphone 3 - pitch bend and CPU spikes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Held wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:44 pm If you email them, it might be better to ask them to fix the pitch bend rather than asking for multi-core support. It would suck if the pitch bend still didn't work properly after they've added multicore support.
This. I ran 2 instances and the cpu load was relatively even (probably my daw balancing the other plugins). The pitch bend is what really needs help here imo.

I also have the Ultra Analog VA-3, so I tested the pitch bend on that synth. So far haven't been able to reproduce the pitch bend issue in VA-3. But since I haven't auditioned all of the presets yet, haven't arrived at a conclusion. Not all of the Chromaphone 3 presets showed an issue either...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:58 amJust out of curiosity, do you have any examples of synths that do use multicore processor functionality?
Just thought of another good one. Dune 3 is in my opinion the best example of a powerful synth that uses shockingly little CPU even with many layers/voices - and it has multicore support ("multithreading") enabled by default. If I turn it off during the first Pad-preset for example, CPU jumps significantly.

And looking at your signature, I'm fairly certain PluginGuru (Unify) also uses multiple cores and is also very efficient with layering multiple synths.

gondii wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:43 pm
zzz00m wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:58 amJust out of curiosity, do you have any examples of synths that do use multicore processor functionality?
Just thought of another good one. Dune 3 is in my opinion the best example of a powerful synth that uses shockingly little CPU even with many layers/voices - and it has multicore support ("multithreading") enabled by default. If I turn it off during the first Pad-preset for example, CPU jumps significantly.

And looking at your signature, I'm fairly certain PluginGuru (Unify) also uses multiple cores and is also very efficient with layering multiple synths.
Yes, thank you. I satisfied my curiosity with u-he Repro, as I had forgotten that it had multicore, and I couldn't think of any others at the time. I also have Unify, but have never needed to look into multicore for that one, as it seems very efficient.

I think that PM devs, such as A|A|S, probably should look into multicore optimization.

I think Unify is efficient, because it utilizes multiple cores. That's what I meant.

gondii wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:44 pm I think Unify is efficient, because it utilizes multiple cores. That's what I meant.
Yep, I got that. Just didn't elaborate on that point.

They should fix the pitch bend at any cost really. This is a serious shortcoming especially that it is configurable.

Now that I think of it it's the main reason I bought it coming from Prism which only had fixed bend range.

Having a variable pitch bend range in Chromaphone was why I went for it.

Is anyone capable of actually using pitch bend for most of the time (i.e. does anyone have a powerful enough computer)?

I found that by lowering the voice count I was able to use the pitch bend. YMMV.

Have you guys not been seeing improvements after the pitch bend fix? I haven't tried it extensively, but from I could tell, it did seem to be a lot better. I think now the only issue is the overall CPU usage.

gondii wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:40 am Have you guys not been seeing improvements after the pitch bend fix? I haven't tried it extensively, but from I could tell, it did seem to be a lot better. I think now the only issue is the overall CPU usage.
Massive improvements - Wasn't able to get it to glitch out at all with this new version when going crazy with the pitch wheel

It's still not really working for me. Some patches work great while others, like Supernova Kalimba glitch out immediately. My CPU shows only about 70% to 95% percent usage on a single core, though.

Held wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 am It's still not really working for me. Some patches work great while others, like Supernova Kalimba glitch out immediately.
Apologies, yeah you're right - I should've tested more patches. Supernova Kalimba still glitches out here too when adjusting the pitch-wheel. Reaper reporting only about 7-10% CPU usage during these glitches on my machine, but maybe the spikes are so quick it's not showing it accurately.

It's completely unusable for me. Neither Pitchbend nor the other macros can be used without it exploding, the "fix" did nothing for me. :shrug:
I can directly modulate some other parameters in Bitwig Studio without it going bonkers, but the most important ones are just broken.
I've fallen back to older versions and have basically given up on AAS, they just don't seem to be technically competent anymore - the next version will probably have 4 layers without any changes to the underlying algorithms.... :dog:
Spreading layers over cores should be the obvious thing to do in Chromaphone 3 - voices of course would be even better, but I no longer expect anything of the like from them.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

gondii wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:40 am Have you guys not been seeing improvements after the pitch bend fix? I haven't tried it extensively, but from I could tell, it did seem to be a lot better. I think now the only issue is the overall CPU usage.
Yes it is much better but not in all cases.

I'm having more problems with sluggish knob movements when playing but AAS are on it

gondii wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:40 am Have you guys not been seeing improvements after the pitch bend fix?
What fix?

Return to “Instruments”