Chromaphone 3 - pitch bend and CPU spikes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zzz00m wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:33 pm
gondii wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:40 am Have you guys not been seeing improvements after the pitch bend fix?
What fix?
There was a new build a few days ago - along with an update to Ultra Analog 3 a day or two later

mcbpete wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:36 pm
zzz00m wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:33 pm
gondii wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:40 am Have you guys not been seeing improvements after the pitch bend fix?
What fix?
There was a new build a few days ago - along with an update to Ultra Analog 3 a day or two later
I got an email from AAS about the VA-3, but nothing for Chromaphone 3. :cry:

Thanks!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I see that the latest build of Chromaphone 3 was v3.1.2 on Sept 28, 2021.
Fixed in this update

Home page waveform was disappearing after changing sampling rate.
Fixed pitch bend range.
Fixed crash when changing layer labels in Bitwig Studio and Presonus Studio One.
Fixed VST3 plug-in editor resize in Acoustica Mixcraft.

zzz00m wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:04 pm I see that the latest build of Chromaphone 3 was v3.1.2 on Sept 28, 2021.
Fixed in this update

Home page waveform was disappearing after changing sampling rate.
Fixed pitch bend range.
Fixed crash when changing layer labels in Bitwig Studio and Presonus Studio One.
Fixed VST3 plug-in editor resize in Acoustica Mixcraft.
that's the one...

Is it confirmed to be fixed?

Not for me.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

One more wish for multi-core support here.. Just did a big upgrade to AMD 5950x (not as fast on single core vs Intel's latest, but still plenty fast), and can pretty easily get pops. Just loading up Art Harp Arp patch and moving mouse around keys does it

Also have a Fireface interface so drivers shouldn't be the issue

All that said I like the synth, just wish I could trust it

iowastate89 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:49 pm One more wish for multi-core support here.. Just did a big upgrade to AMD 5950x (not as fast on single core vs Intel's latest, but still plenty fast), and can pretty easily get pops. Just loading up Art Harp Arp patch and moving mouse around keys does it

Also have a Fireface interface so drivers shouldn't be the issue

All that said I like the synth, just wish I could trust it
Yep, that "Art Harp" patch is a hog. It appears to be atypical for most the patches in the factory library. It hits my CPU at about 50%, where most of the others range from 5%-25%.

I played around with the mode and synth tabs in that patch. If you drop the unison voices in each layer A & B from 4 to 2, it eases up on the CPU a bit. Then play around with the Resonator Density A & B in each layer A & B (so there's 4 of them). I got it down to 30% CPU with the lowest settings. When I pushed all 4 resonators up to full I got pops & crackles too. And I'm running my CPU at 4.3 GHz.

it seems, to resurect this thread, that the latest version 3.1.3 (and i am on windows) killed fully the pitch bend (on a very capable system + RME), not even some pitch bend seems possible. or is it me?
didn't try it on my own presets, what you certainly most do.. but... o well...

EDIT:

tried my own presets no probs.....

perhaps i, by accident, used some factory presets that couldn't take it. what is the difference? well i will investegate...

EDIT:

i don't think much has changed. or perhaps nothing. it was me! it was me!,,,

WasteLand wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:05 am it seems, to resurect this thread, that the latest version 3.1.3 (and i am on windows) killed fully the pitch bend (on a very capable system + RME), not even some pitch bend seems possible. or is it me?
didn't try it on my own presets, what you certainly most do.. but... o well...
Pitch bend still working here on 3.1.3.

But unfortunately still getting pitch bend induced CPU spikes with certain presets. Seemed to be able to narrow it down to use of certain Resonators. The Beam, Marimba, and Tubes seem to be OK, but not the others...
Last edited by zzz00m on Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sounds like a pretty sad situation. I'd love to see aas do some heavy updates to their algorithms and even if they just initialize each voice at runtime so that it uses a constant CPU amount (like many "modular" style synths) it would make their stuff more usable. Do they support MPE yet? I never went passed V2. Pitch bend issues would be extra crappy in MPE mode.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Instruments”