Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRer
7 posts since 23 Oct, 2006

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:57 pm

Hi, has anyone looked at the MIDI mapping implementation in OPS7 yet?
I've got PortaFM and been trying to figure out how to apply default MIDI mapping to factory presets, or even to a factory preset saved as user preset, but it doesn't seem possible. Also just received a reply from the developer that MIDI mapping in the default preset will be overwritten when selecting another preset, so it seems to confirm that MIDI mapping has to be done individually for each preset, which is a massive pain in the neck :dog: :x Does anyone know a workaround for this? :help:

More importantly (and back on-topic), is the MIDI mapping implementation (or lack thereof) similar on the OPS7? As there is no demo it's not possible to check it out before buying, as this would be a make or break deal for me. I have FM8 fully mapped across 8 parts of a Novation SLMkiii + Launch Control so switching to an OPS7 with no default mapping and no MIDI learn seems pretty dumb :clown: :hyper:

I honestly can't see why this is not one of the highest priorities in plugin design in this era, second only to in-depth modelling :?: :?: :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF
4625 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:25 am

Suggestion ,changes to operator gain and envelopes do not require a new gate on message to be executed.
It's one of the features that imho should not have been modelled .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

fmr
KVRAF
10536 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:32 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:25 am
Suggestion ,changes to operator gain and envelopes do not require a new gate on message to be executed.
:lol:
Fernando (FMR)

KVRist
134 posts since 12 Nov, 2020

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:06 am

crickey13 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:03 am
BenfordLaw wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:59 am
Yes, that sounds like a really good idea, instead of writing music, I'll spend hours and hours of my time trying to come up with a decent preset in OPS7... Does it ever occur to you that the vast majority of people who use synths don't create presets?

I was hoping to see a video showing loads of great presets from OPS7, so far I haven't seen one, maybe there is one in this thread that I missed? If it doesn't have loads of good presets, are potential customers just supposed to believe that THEY can make good presets with it, when no evidence has been provided that it will be anything other than more of the same old, boring FM sounds?
Why won't you get Nexus or Avenger then? Seriously, if you don't intend to use softsynths to synthesize sounds of your own, why not just get a ROMpler? I bet they offer a lot of digital sounding patches, which will fit your needs.

I really don't understand you.

So in other words, you don't like the way the original DX7 sounds, don't like the way FM sounds, don't like creating sounds from scratch and you're planning on buying a softsynth, let alone an FM softsynth, which is a clear-cut emulation of the DX7? :clap:
"if you don't intend to use softsynths to synthesize sounds of your own, why not just get a ROMpler?"

So nobody who uses non-ROMpler synths wants to use presets? So there isn't a huge market for presets for non-ROMpler synths? WTF? What planet are you on.
" I bet they offer a lot of digital sounding patches, which will fit your needs."

Who said I wanted "digital sounding patches"? Isn't the DX7 a digital synth?
Is there a video somewhere in this thread that shows the OPS7 sounds, and actually shows some GOOD sounds, as good as the DX7 preset video which somebody kindly posted for me? Or is this too much to ask about a new synth that the developers are trying to sell? How stupid of me!

KVRist

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:08 am

olepro wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:46 am
Or you could listen to this album with Howard Jones
There is DX7 all over it, and a great way to judge the sounds in a musical context
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TFB0brlav9
This isn't the OPS7. Is it impossible to show me a video of a load of good presets from the OPS7? What sort of person sends a video of an ALBUM in order to allegedly let me hear what a softsynth, that isn't even used on it, sounds like? I want to hear individual presets, or songs made ENTIRELY with the OPS7. Apparently that is heresy around here...

KVRist

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:11 am

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:49 am
BenfordLaw wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:52 am
BenfordLaw wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:25 am
gaggle of hermits wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:06 am
i'm not sure something based on a dx7 is what you're after.

"here's bit-exact dx7 clone"

"does it make sounds that don't sound like they come from a dx7?"

"er..." <insert gif of nation fillion in castle attempting to explain something here>
I'm asking if there is a video that shows decent DX7 patches, apart from the factory sounds. Like LOTS of decent presets that aren't all variations on the very (in my opinion) limited number of different presets that the DX7 has.
If you don't know how to program fm synths , this synth is not for you , simple as that .
Fm is capable of amazing basses and pads etc ,ops7 even expands on this by providing feedback per operator which is beyond what the tg77 can offer ( only 3 feedback loops )
Maybe just start learning the principles of operator ratios , 2-1 for square etc.. , subhertz operators inbetween for chorus like effects etc...instead of wading through 40 year old pathces .
Yes, that sounds like a really good idea, instead of writing music, I'll spend hours and hours of my time trying to come up with a decent preset in OPS7... Does it ever occur to you that the vast majority of people who use synths don't create presets?

I was hoping to see a video showing loads of great presets from OPS7, so far I haven't seen one, maybe there is one in this thread that I missed? If it doesn't have loads of good presets, are potential customers just supposed to believe that THEY can make good presets with it, when no evidence has been provided that it will be anything other than more of the same old, boring FM sounds?
Some of uss have decades of experience under their belt and designing sounds is an integral part of the composition , and it's just a lot of fun when your coping with writer'ss block :tu:
Fm have been used in pop , techno ,industrial etc.
It's a complex but verry rewarding synthesis method and awesome for bass,-->detroit techno<-- ,pads , and cheesy bells and woodblocks :lol:
If you can't even bring it up to do some basic googling about FM in general , then don't expect to be spoonfed .
Information is literally at your fingertips and all is takes is a little bit of effort , but no :roll:
Short answer : no the dx is not for you
WTF? Where did I ask anybody what FM synthesis was, or claimed that I didn't know what it was? "Information is literally at your fingertips". Sure. But nobody can post a simple video with a load of decent presets that come with the OPS7.

By the way, I've got Dexed, it's FREE, it sounds fantastic to me, and I have all the DX7 presets I could want - what does OPS7 offer - SOUNDwise, that makes it worth actually buying? I was hoping it would have a load of NEW presets that sound fantastic. Apparently we aren't supposed to talk about that. So I have no interest in buying it.

The way some of you here a) spend ALL of your time here, 'policing' every thread and making sure nobody disagrees with you, and b) jump on a new VST and act like the police, and go to any length to defend it (a piece of software!) against any questions or criticism, is frankly, sad...

KVRist

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:14 am

I've just listened to the first video - again. MOST of those presets, to be frank, sound pretty crappy. I think some of you are hearing what you WANT to hear.

KVRian
807 posts since 3 Aug, 2001 from Montreal

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:50 am

mofufu wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:57 pm
I honestly can't see why this is not one of the highest priorities in plugin design in this era, second only to in-depth modelling :?: :?: :?:
Your MIDI settings will not be replaced if you just load DX7 sysex presets (the same is true in PortaFM/SFC/MD if you "rip" or use 'single' sound presets). Only the top main recall presets, which contain {nearly} everything.

I know custom MIDI mapping is important to many, but certain MIDI maps also can be used creatively in sound design, say CC1 to TL of a modulator. We know its not perfect, and are thinking about solutions.

Another option many people use is Komplete Kontrol/Maschine (NKS) controllers. Where everything is pre mapped always. Its not like we dont care.
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:04 am

fmr wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:32 am
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:25 am
I 'm sure the only who's impressed by your remarks is you :tu:
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

KVRist
294 posts since 18 Jul, 2021

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:15 am

BenfordLaw wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:11 am
WTF? Where did I ask anybody what FM synthesis was, or claimed that I didn't know what it was? "Information is literally at your fingertips". Sure. But nobody can post a simple video with a load of decent presets that come with the OPS7.

By the way, I've got Dexed, it's FREE, it sounds fantastic to me, and I have all the DX7 presets I could want - what does OPS7 offer - SOUNDwise, that makes it worth actually buying? I was hoping it would have a load of NEW presets that sound fantastic. Apparently we aren't supposed to talk about that. So I have no interest in buying it.
your memory really is bad isn't it?
BenfordLaw wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:25 am
I'm asking if there is a video that shows decent DX7 patches, apart from the factory sounds. Like LOTS of decent presets that aren't all variations on the very (in my opinion) limited number of different presets that the DX7 has.
i'd say give up the trolling game, you're no good at it. but you'd forget by tomorrow.
Last edited by gaggle of hermits on Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:15 am

BenfordLaw wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:06 am
crickey13 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:03 am
BenfordLaw wrote:

Why won't you get Nexus or Avenger then? Seriously, if you don't intend to use softsynths to synthesize sounds of your own, why not just get a ROMpler? I bet they offer a lot of digital sounding patches, which will fit your needs.

I really don't understand you.

So in other words, you don't like the way the original DX7 sounds, don't like the way FM sounds, don't like creating sounds from scratch and you're planning on buying a softsynth, let alone an FM softsynth, which is a clear-cut emulation of the DX7? :clap:
"if you don't intend to use softsynths to synthesize sounds of your own, why not just get a ROMpler?"

So nobody who uses non-ROMpler synths wants to use presets? So there isn't a huge market for presets for non-ROMpler synths? WTF? What planet are you on.
" I bet they offer a lot of digital sounding patches, which will fit your needs."

Who said I wanted "digital sounding patches"? Isn't the DX7 a digital synth?
Is there a video somewhere in this thread that shows the OPS7 sounds, and actually shows some GOOD sounds, as good as the DX7 preset video which somebody kindly posted for me? Or is this too much to ask about a new synth that the developers are trying to sell? How stupid of me!
No , the ops7 sounds like a melted sausage ( or two if you desire )
If you value your aural capabilities and don't want your ears to fall off , then do not , I repeat : Do NOT install ops7 !!
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

KVRAF
5934 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:37 am

BenfordLaw wrote:
I have all the DX7 presets I could want
BenfordLaw wrote:
I was hoping it would have a load of NEW presets that sound fantastic.
:?: :dog:
BenfordLaw wrote:
what does OPS7 offer - SOUNDwise, that makes it worth actually buying?
Look at the thread title. Hint: it doesn't say "Plogue OPS7 (loads of NEW presets!)"

KVRer
24 posts since 3 Aug, 2021

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:43 am

Another boring DX7 plugin!
Why nobody makes the FS1r or even the SY99?
This is the same with the Junos and Jupiter8.

:help:

fmr
KVRAF
10536 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:56 am

OrionAlpha101 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:43 am
Another boring DX7 plugin!
Why nobody makes the FS1r or even the SY99?
Although I see some potential in this (if David is willing to take some extra steps and make a DX5/DX1, or even the DX7II, and polish the GUI and other aspects that are pulling the synth down) I am with you in that I would rather prefer a SY99 (IMO one of the best synths EVER made - I own it) and/or the FS1R. :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

KVRAF
16427 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:19 am

Has there been any mention of a demo release date? Still interested in giving it a go.

I agree an FS1R would be much preferred although finding a unit to emulate could be somewhat difficult and expensive. But I've seen enough people ask for an FS1R emulation over the years that one could possibly be a financial success. (The SY99 being at least partially sample based may cause legal issues if emulated?)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”