Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

Asuyuka wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:35 pm unexciting compared to analogs of yore
That's just it I find the analogs of yore totally unexciting.

Back in the late 80's early 90's no one around here cared one bit about analog

I don't remember anyone walking in to the shop and asking for an analog synth in those days. Everybody wanted the M1, D-50, DX7, ESQ-1, Mirage, U20, FS1R or.....

Finally we could get our hands on the new digital and hybrid synths and move beyond buzzy saw waves. :hyper:

A whole new world of sound was opened up to the average musician much like a whole new world has opened up with the advent of the VSTi. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:23 am
Etienne1973 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:16 pm
davidv@plogue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:23 pmWe actually have an FS1R and most other mainline Yamaha units of the 80s and 90s. Only thing missing is a FVX-1 (we accept donations). Not sure about the financial success part though.
Yamaha FS1R as software plug that offers an elegant user interface would be an instant buy here. :tu:
I think that quite a few, emphasis on few, people would be interested by that. I think that many more would be just as uninterested as they were in the original, which is, of course, one of the reasons the prices are so high now.

Personally, I'm not into emulations, per se, but I would like to see more efforts in serious synthesizers that are conceptually similar to the SY99. IMO there's no need to negotiate a license for the samples, but I know the emulation purists don't agree.

I'm curious though, as much attention as emulations get, what consumer attributes drive the market? With analog emulations I think that it can be as simple as nostalgia and that nostalgia is born out by just making the synth sound good. You see this expressed here often. It doesn't matter how good really the emulation was, at point of release there are plenty of followers who express content at having the synth back in their studio again. I seem to recall posts like this about the Pro-53.

With FM synths though, there is a disconnect such that it's hard for someone not into somewhat serious sound design to make it sound good. Hence, they are much more dependent on patch libraries. You can see some of that perspective in this thread, or almost any other thread on FM for that matter.

I think that the DX7 is a relatively safe bet because of the vast numbers, but I imagine that only a small fraction of people who would buy "the most accurate DX7 emulation to date" even know about the FS1R, let alone lust over it.

Finally, there's actually an issue with the purists vs the non-purists with the FS1R and SY99 that doesn't exist with the DX7. Namely, they have filters that don't sound good. The Purists will want them to sound like the original, warts and all, whereas others will want a modern approach.

Bottom line for me, the book is unfinished on the definitive FM synth, but I don't think chasing nostalgia is going to deliver the winner.
This is the tg 77 filter in serial mode ( 4 pole ) with healthy amount of resonance , filtering a saw romwave
Sounds pretty good me considering it's from 1990
the only thing I don't like about the tg 77 is the lfo at high speeds , it can easily break up
https://gearspace.com/board/attachments ... -4pole.wav
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I don't know what a TG7 might cost today – 100+ bucks at Fleabay?

Anyway, currently there's a crazy Frog that wants 3,500€ for his FS1R! Two other guys are offering theirs for 1,600€ and 1,800€ respectively.

A software FS1R is looking more and more attractive…
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:08 pm This is the tg 77 filter in serial mode ( 4 pole ) with healthy amount of resonance , filtering a saw romwave
Sounds pretty good me considering it's from 1990
the only thing I don't like about the tg 77 is the lfo at high speeds , it can easily break up
https://gearspace.com/board/attachments ... -4pole.wav
I have an SY77, a TG500, and the RS7000. I'm pretty familiar with the sound of the later model Yamaha filters. I thought the RS7000 usable enough for some time, with limits, but they still do not compare to filters of today.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:36 pm Knowing the pedigree of plogue , it's will be the bees knees
Having fun watching the in depth videos
Thanks for posting the link to that first video. Although my training is in device physics, I was advised to take a course in microprocessors long ago, and I'm really glad I did. Although I was skeptical in the beginning, I began to realize that this may be the future, and soon enough, it was.

The video took me back to doing comparatively small design projects, reading data sheets, etc. --- quite different in most ways than what I was used to doing, but nevertheless similar in that you feel that you are learning "secrets" that not many people know. In device physics, they are "secrets" of nature whereas in this digital stuff, it's "secrets" of human design.

Of course, these are open secrets, but there is still something intriguing and mysterious about such work, no matter how many people there may actually be involved in it. It is this feeling that motivates some of us to plough through stuff that most people would probably find too painful to make their way through.

I'm glad he discussed IDA. That's really painful work, as some of you may know. I'd hate to have to be responsible for creating a spec from assembly code.

"How many of you are still here?"

Spitfire31 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:45 pm I don't know what a TG7 might cost today – 100+ bucks at Fleabay?

Anyway, currently there's a crazy Frog that wants 3,500€ for his FS1R! Two other guys are offering theirs for 1,600€ and 1,800€ respectively.

A software FS1R is looking more and more attractive…
If you find a tg77 for 300-350€ , consider yourself lucky .
Prices are rising
Eyeball exchanging

Question for developer
I am on windows , and besides the regular Chipsynth.ops7.ddl in my vst 64 plugins folder , there is also a -PlogueOPs7EMU.dll
-PLogueChorus.dll
-Plogue reverb.dll
-PLoguearpergiator.dll
All of these are located in the the program files/plogue/fermata folder (not the vst folder )
It seems that these are all the individual modules that are used by the vst plugin .
Why note include them all in the vst.dll ?
So I dropped these individual effects dll's into my vst folder , hoping to have these as separate effects , but no dice :lol:
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:31 pm Why note include them all in the vst.dll ?
Because we don't like duplicating the same binary code in 6 synths times 4 plugin APIs (5 on macOs)
The Arp, Chorus, Verb, etc are shared among most chipsynths products. We've developed our own modular framework for plugin development and have been using it for 15 years, and has worked great for us. Allow lots of design flexibility and rapid builds (only rebuilding things that need fixes). Etc.
Its no less CPU efficient compared to "all in the same DLLs".

Cheers
[EDIT] Fermata/Aria internal plugins are _not_ VST, VST3 or anything like that. They are custom.
Last edited by davidv@plogue on Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

Btw, the MTS-ESP also don't recognise new tunings while activated, i need to turn it off and on again to update the tuning after changing it in MTS-ESP Mini.

cantaloupe wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:44 pm Btw, the MTS-ESP also don't recognise new tunings while activated, i need to turn it off and on again to update the tuning after changing it in MTS-ESP Mini.
MTS-ESP is still very new. I'll investigate. Thanks.

davidv@plogue wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:46 pm
cantaloupe wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:44 pm Btw, the MTS-ESP also don't recognise new tunings while activated, i need to turn it off and on again to update the tuning after changing it in MTS-ESP Mini.
MTS-ESP is still very new. I'll investigate. Thanks.
Perfect. Your inclusion of MTS-ESP in Porta and OPS is greatly appreciated.

I see also that my post is poorly written, so to avoid any confusion: I need to disable and enable the MTS-ESP in OPS-7 settings after switching the tuning in MTS-ESP Mini, as it doesn't seem to refresh.

Is there anyway to expose the DAC error to host automation? I would like to automate in Bitwig.

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:47 pm Is there anyway to expose the DAC error to host automation? I would like to automate in Bitwig.
Hmm its part of the setting params, they can't be automated. I guess I'll add that to chipcrusher and raise its range too.
Last edited by davidv@plogue on Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantaloupe wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:44 pm so to avoid any confusion: I need to disable and enable the MTS-ESP in OPS-7 settings after switching the tuning in MTS-ESP Mini, as it doesn't seem to refresh.
Nah it was clear (to me at least). Makes sense that this skipped through my testing.

davidv@plogue wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:57 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:47 pm Is there anyway to expose the DAC error to host automation? I would like to automate in Bitwig.
Hmm its part of the setting params, they can't be automated. I guess I'll add that to chipcrusher and raise its range too.
Thank you! Loving OPS7. Thank you!

Return to “Instruments”