Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

With all due respect ... that sounds a lot like complaining that other people aren't doing work for you. (?)

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

sqigls wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:59 am I can't program FM to save myself, but like everyone else - i have a ton of DX patches.
I'd like to just load a bank - save single presets to a folder with no f**king around, then when i have 32 basses, or 32 stabs or whatever, just make a bunch of banks i can load quickly in future.
At present, it's just not straight forward enough for me bother doing this.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is what I do to curate DX7 banks in OPS7. I just open banks on the SYX page and drag patches from banks to where I want them to be in a new bank then I save it.

That seems easier to me than opening individual patches and saving them somewhere if you're specifically making your own DX7 banks.

I don't think this is possible with patches that have extended features. Extended patches have to be saved singly, afaik.

yul wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:51 am If you do save it in the A/B colum, the patch name stays however you still lose the initial reference to the original DX bank (not great).

Basically you cannot import a DX7 bank, you need to import programs and create a new bank. Weird but at least I have a workaround.

Anyone else having these situations? I mean it's a really great plugin are people using it the way I do?
By design, the left hand side "FILE" is just a handy dialog box and its highlighted selection is not recalled.

You can however import a whole bank if you drag the .syx file from the FILE tab over to A/B. These get fully stored and recalled. Yes you loose where they come from but we assumed people would make custom A/B banks from a variety of different 32-patch syx files, which you can resave as your "best off" inside another syx, export to HW, etc.

For the unrelated other drag replace bug, we have just reproduced it and will need a fix.
(It actually works if you copy from a higher slot to a lower numbered slot), but not the other way around. Should be an easy fix.
Thank you.
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

Wow very good thanks for your answer David! I get it now. The left portion is just a browser. I will follow your recommendations no problem.

Thanks for this amazing plugin!

yul wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:39 pm...Thanks for this amazing plugin!
+1. Lots of character, nice extra features, tons of sounds on the net, that sound good when loaded and last, but not least...very cheap :D Thanks David! :)

nominil wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:35 pm
Examigan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:16 pm I guess I'm a little confused. When I dragged a preset within SysEx screen to another spot in the same bank (A), it cleared out the preset that was there. Is that normal behaviour?
I thought it would place the preset I was dragging to that new spot in the bank, but it clears it out. It works fine if you drag a preset from bank A to B.
Just tested. Yeah, that's a weird one. Please email Plogue. :)
They emailed me today and said it will be fixed in the update they are working on. :tu:

peterdh wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:41 pm
tons of sounds on the net
Hey I a a pretty new OPS7 user, would you care to elaborate on where I might find stuff like this, if its allowed here, thanks!

Bartizanier wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:21 am
peterdh wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:41 pm
tons of sounds on the net
Hey I a a pretty new OPS7 user, would you care to elaborate on where I might find stuff like this, if its allowed here, thanks!
This site a bunch of patches, haven't tried them yet though.

http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/dx7_patches.html

Bartizanier wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:21 am Hey I a a pretty new OPS7 user, would you care to elaborate on where I might find stuff like this, if its allowed here, thanks!
Just google "DX7 banks SYX" you will find plenty. It is freely available for all just need to find the good folks running websites to keep them alive. Enjoy. Cheers.

Will there be a Yamaha TG-77 ?

I think there are legal complications when it comes to emulating ROMplers. ...I mean, just look at what happened to that that D-50 emulation that came out a few years ago.

...I'm still pretty pissed about how the developers were treated in that case, to be honest. ...but I am pretty stalwartly in the "Everything is a Remix" camp that thinks copyright laws are WHU-HHHHHAY too liberally in favor of corporations. ...but don't get me started! :D

TBH, I lost a lot of respect for Persing that day. :( ...but that's just me.

Yes he really should have forfeited the right to defend his IP.

Smh..
rsp
sound sculptist

Yeah if the shoe was on the other foot I would protect it myself also.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the conversation. Of course he's going to get a lot of support, he's Eric-f**king-Persing. A god among synth enthusiasts. The fact that his "IP" was created at a company he no longer works for, on a thirty year old project that is no longer in production shouldn't matter at all. Who cares a whit about works going into the public domain anymore, anyway! Sure, we're delighted to wait the age of the universe less one year to gain the rights to these works. Let's blissfully ignore the fact that there have already been an uncountable number of derivative works. But, hey! It's Eric Persing. We'll cut him some slack. We'll immediately take down the synth that half of the community has been clamoring for since soft synths were a thing, and yet no corporations have ever actually bothered to pursue it. Sure. Sounds fair.

But, no, really: I am sorry for bringing it up. Not the right place, not the right time. My point was only: don't expect Chipsound to gain the rights to the SY-77/TG-77 anytime soon. That's all.

...Having said that, OrionAlpha101 might look into F'em, which (I don't own, but) I think has both FM and ROMpler-like abilities, so you might be able to program similar sounds. ...Of course, no hope of patch compatibility.
Last edited by Introspective on Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”