Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

He actually managed to own some of the IP of his work at Roland, can't say for certain if the recorded attack samples in D-50 (which is why no one can illegally use the ROM) are part of those, but a few of those D-50 'samples' are now in Omnisphere.

You are also aware I assume that Roland has (re-)released their own D-50 hardware and software versions.

But yeah f IP, give it all away free.
Free to the Masses!!
smh
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:43 pm You are also aware I assume that Roland has (re-)released their own D-50 hardware and software versions.
Yes. At the point the D-50 emulation came out (BTW, I don't even know the name of it, it went up and got taken down so fast I didn't even SEE it, I just heard about it a few days later), there was no such thing.

...And part of me does wonder if Persing's fuss about it then was BECAUSE he knew Roland was making their own clone "soon" and that he would be getting kickbacks on it, so the competition wasn't good. But that's my inner CT, and I hope I'm wrong. Plus, I digress. Again.
zvenx wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:43 pm But yeah f IP, give it all away free.
Free to the Masses!!
Well, again: I don't mean to derail the thread, but, briefly: I do actually believe in IP. In my ideal world, it would last 10 years. I could maybe have my arm twisted in to believing 20 would be "better," but it would take some serious convincing to get me there. 30 years is f**king absurd. And "life of the creator plus 30 with an option to renew" or whatever the law currently is, frankly, disgusting. ...Shit. I said I would be brief! Someone hit my button. :) Sorry. Calming down, now.

But why is that a bad thing if he knew Roland or Spectrasonics were going to do something with the IP and therefore blocked the illegal use of the IP. (I assume you know recordings (Audio samples) are protected).

If you want the D-50 sounds they are options (a used D-50, Omnisphere (to a much much lesser extent), D-05 and Roland Cloud's D-50), if you want a free version well that is a different story.

rsp
sound sculptist

OrionAlpha101 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:44 am Will there be a Yamaha TG-77 ?
This !
I already have a tg77 but a plogue emulation would be the bees knees , but also a titan's task
All the yamaha rom cards can be found on sector z who makes the data and waveblade cards for the tg-sy range
https://www.sector101.co.uk/waveblade.html
It's pretty crazy when you think about it , Yamaha must be aware that their Rom set is freely available yet they take no legal action , imagine if it would be Roland :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Is there any way to use the Bin files from those Roms in existing plugins for now? I am guessing that would be a No, as they were made for the TG-77.

Introspective wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:25 pm OrionAlpha101 might look into F'em, which (I don't own, but) I think has both FM and ROMpler-like abilities, so you might be able to program similar sounds.
Don't want to derail it either, but yes, F.'em has 2 sample based operators for each of the 4 layers.
Last edited by Examigan on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bartizanier wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:21 am
peterdh wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:41 pm
yul wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:39 pm...Thanks for this amazing plugin!
tons of sounds on the net
Hey I a a pretty new OPS7 user, would you care to elaborate on where I might find stuff like this, if its allowed here, thanks!
BlackWinny made a wonderful cleaned up compilation of all tose (tens-of-) thousands of sysex
for the dexed plugin...
...should be working with the ops7...

https://www.audiobombs.com/items/1038/dexed-cart-1.0

maybe here's a more direct link ;-) :
http://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

I'd like to buy this synth, but the 4 minute demo is embarrassing.
I have known all fm synth in the market, used almost all, sold some, uninstalled some, currently use Dexed. I don't need fancy modern features found in fm8 or DX7 V, that's why OPS7 is just what I need!
I really like the classic fm sounds, and have many sysex too. Like this Dual layer architecture (however I layer things in Unify, so rather plan to do my layering in that plugin).
But back to the main thing I'd like to say: the 4 minute demo is a wrong decision, this is an obstacle for the user. I can't really compare the sound with the Dexed plugin, because bammm 4 minute over.
This is ridiculous!
And that's why I keep using dexed, and that's why I will check OPS7 again when the next black friday comes, because half price I could buy many things : )

dune_rave wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:36 pm I'd like to buy this synth, but the 4 minute demo is embarrassing.
I have known all fm synth in the market, used almost all, sold some, uninstalled some, currently use Dexed. I don't need fancy modern features found in fm8 or DX7 V, that's why OPS7 is just what I need!
I really like the classic fm sounds, and have many sysex too. Like this Dual layer architecture (however I layer things in Unify, so rather plan to do my layering in that plugin).
But back to the main thing I'd like to say: the 4 minute demo is a wrong decision, this is an obstacle for the user. I can't really compare the sound with the Dexed plugin, because bammm 4 minute over.
This is ridiculous!
And that's why I keep using dexed, and that's why I will check OPS7 again when the next black friday comes, because half price I could buy many things : )
So you continue to use Dexed.

4 minutes was just fine for me to purchase OPS7. I don't need 1 hour, 7 days or whatever to hear sheer quality of it.

YMMW as it seems

and the new bleass omega has an even shorter demo period (3min something...)

dune_rave wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:36 pm I'd like to buy this synth, but the 4 minute demo is embarrassing.
This is ridiculous!
Plogue is the #1 hardware emulation game in town. Whatever he does is ultra accurate and one of a small handful of responsive developers you can comfortably buy blind. The only thing you want to test is when it comes to Plogue whether the VST runs on your particular system.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

muki wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:46 pm and the new bleass omega has an even shorter demo period (3min something...)
dammit, the end of the world is near !
:)

As someone who has faced FM editing on the DX7 and crawled away in defeat...I look for any trick to bypass the hard way.

My question is, has anybody here used OPS7 to send Sysex to a DX7, maybe more specifically an early generation DX7, maybe with a grey matter card. Just curious about the workflow, etc? (I know how to move sysex back and forth in general...just looking for specific issues with OPS7)

Realtime patch editing (via software through sysex) would be nice, but apparently my older DX7 does not have that capability.

BTW it takes tons of time to create audio patches, and time is money, so I understand when folks/companies don't want to give everything away for free.

(full disclosure, I use MIDI-OX for just about everything...except patch editing)

youbecha wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:22 pm My question is, has anybody here used OPS7 to send Sysex to a DX7, maybe more specifically an early generation DX7, maybe with a grey matter card. Just curious about the workflow, etc? (I know how to move sysex back and forth in general...just looking for specific issues with OPS7)
I made an unscripted video where I use the SYSEX editor of OPS7 to demonstrate its accuracy with a Model1 - no grey matter/!E card though. We do not have that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDlqXe0M2as
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

It would be nice to have an E! card emulation in the OPS7, though! I had one in my DX7 (now gone) and it made a world of difference, I remember.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Instruments”