Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10542 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 am

Do we have any graphical representation when choosing the algorithm? Or do we have to refer to some sort of external document to check which one we want?

Right now, I only saw a knob to choose the algorithms, and it only displays a number. Even the DX7 had the algorithms displayed in the top of the panel.

Also, I see no way to deal with the envelopes graphically, we can't copy envelopes from one operator to other envelopes... I used sys-ex editors with better GUIs (sorry if this sounds harsh).
Last edited by fmr on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10542 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:53 am

DELETED
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
KVRian
954 posts since 27 Mar, 2013

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:58 am

nothing to see... thanks
I grew up on a junkyard, where I started to feed from hubcaps and bumpers

KVRian

Topic Starter

894 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 am

Plogue is not great for intuitive, user-friendly UI's.

KVRist
120 posts since 27 Nov, 2018

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:09 am

This was a no hesitation purchase for me. I am a bit of an FM Fan boy, and this synth has really nailed the DX7. I felt like I had enough fm synths, but then I noticed MTS-ESP and Scala file support and I could not click "Buy" fast enough!

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10542 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:15 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 am
Plogue is not great for intuitive, user-friendly UI's.
Yes, I can live with "not so user friendly" GUIs, but this is a request to David - please take some time to improve the GUI. There's a lot to be done in that chapter, IMO. This is a criticism made in good faith.

For example - the keyboard response (keyboard level scaling), that is very important aspect of the DX7 sound - I am still trying to understand where do I edit that. True, I didn't read the manual, but I shouldn't have to, since I know pretty well the behavior of FM synths, including the DX series.

EDIT: I found it in the square reserved to each EG. A couple of knobs and three text boxes.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

KVRist
120 posts since 27 Nov, 2018

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:23 am

fmr wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:15 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 am
Plogue is not great for intuitive, user-friendly UI's.

For example - the keyboard response (keyboard level scaling), that is very important aspect of the DX7 sound - I am still trying to understand where do I edit that. True, I didn't read the manual, but I shouldn't have to, since I know pretty well the behavior of FM synths, including the DX series.
It's in the upper right of the operator patch , where it says "breakpoint".

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10542 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 am

DrEntropy wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:23 am
fmr wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:15 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 am
Plogue is not great for intuitive, user-friendly UI's.

For example - the keyboard response (keyboard level scaling), that is very important aspect of the DX7 sound - I am still trying to understand where do I edit that. True, I didn't read the manual, but I shouldn't have to, since I know pretty well the behavior of FM synths, including the DX series.
It's in the upper right of the operator patch , where it says "breakpoint".
Yes, I found it. Thanks...
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
KVRAF
4633 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:28 am

fmr wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 am
Do we have any graphical representation when choosing the algorithm? Or do we have to refer to some sort of external document to check which one we want?

Right now, I only saw a knob to choose the algorithms, and it only displays a number. Even the DX7 had the algorithms displayed in the top of the panel.

Also, I see no way to deal with the envelopes graphically, we can't copy envelopes from one operator to other envelopes... I used sys-ex editors with better GUIs (sorry if this sounds harsh).
A few pages back you wrote that you bought it !
If you did , you would know that the operator stuctures are shown and cop- paste between op's is already possible
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10542 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:43 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:28 am
fmr wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 am
Do we have any graphical representation when choosing the algorithm? Or do we have to refer to some sort of external document to check which one we want?

Right now, I only saw a knob to choose the algorithms, and it only displays a number. Even the DX7 had the algorithms displayed in the top of the panel.

Also, I see no way to deal with the envelopes graphically, we can't copy envelopes from one operator to other envelopes... I used sys-ex editors with better GUIs (sorry if this sounds harsh).
A few pages back you wrote that you bought it !
If you did , you would know that the operator stuctures are shown and cop- paste between op's is already possible
I bought it, but it seems your reading capacity is not very good. :roll:

Once an algorithm chosen, its structure is shown, that's true. But if I want to choose ANOTHER algorithm, how do I choose it? Do you happen to know by memory all the 32? Even the DX7 had the pictures shown in the panel. Or your advice is to go through all of them until I find the one I want?

I also said nothing about copying the Operator. I mentioned the Envelopes. Why should I copy an entire Operator, if I only want the Envelope? Actually, I think I rarely wanted to copy an entire operator. But the envelopes... ALL THE TIME.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
KVRAF
21938 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:43 am

It might be a good idea to add algorithm layout pictures on right-click of the Algorithm knob, true.

KVRian

Topic Starter

894 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:48 am

What's the most intuitive fm synth UI? The newest Reason one?

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10542 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:50 am

And it seems the emulation is not so "faithful" after all :hihi:

Actually, I'm glad it isn't. Besides having effects, we also have an Extend button. When active, it allows us to choose other waveforms besides the sine for the operator, add feedback, noise, and vibrato and also pan the operator. Nice additions to the model, that I have to check.
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10542 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:50 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:48 am
What's the most intuitive fm synth UI? The newest Reason one?
How many do you know? Not many, apparently.
Fernando (FMR)

KVRist
120 posts since 27 Nov, 2018

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:59 am

fmr wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 am
DrEntropy wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:23 am
It's in the upper right of the operator patch , where it says "breakpoint".
Yes, I found it. Thanks...
Could use some more words in the UI at that spot ... if you don't know dx7's you would not know what 'breakpoint' and the two knobs below it do. I mean you could read the manual, but who has time for that?
But i also sort of love the techy minimal UI.

Return to “Instruments”