One Synth Challenge #152: WhispAir by Full Bucket Music (Aiynzahev Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
WhispAir

I clearly understand that in WhispAir I really lack curve types on all ADSR, especially when I'm trying to emulate something acoustic, which wavetables are very good at! :(

It would also be useful to be able to modulate the noise generator, I think)

Also a retrig on MG)
Last edited by IV! on Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I present you:
3d screenshot.png
64 sounds for Whispair.

I still got a lot of terrain to explore in this synth during the month, but managed to make a preset bank before the 15th. :D

Only build-in wavetables used.

Download link here.

Enjoy :hyper: .

pd: I'm not creative enough with preset naming :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

J.Ruegg wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:47 am 64 sounds for Whispair.
Cool, Good stuff, Thanks! :tu: :hyper:

J.Ruegg wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:47 am
64 sounds for Whispair.
Nice bank and your naming may not be that creative but it makes sense and that matters more (I love the put OTT on it comment on a certain drum patch :D).

Plus I am totally using some of the drum presets as a starting point for this month’s OSC if you don’t mind (because I just hate designing drums, they keep stubbornly almost always end up as basses or leads :lol:)!

I may "lend" a certain slap bass too :oops:.

Now as I remember, we are to avoid any effects with modulation? Such as chorus, right? My delay that I use adds a fair amount of chorus effect though because it modulates the pitch of the delay lines a bit. Reverb also modulates the tails.

So how strict is this? - Edit, never mind I just read the rules again, it's clear.

Also I know we can use commercial plugins, I ended up really liking Waves Pusher on the drums, is this allowed? I'm using just a bit of processing on it, but it's a wild plugin with all kinds of phase split & compression going on inside.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Thank you, J.Ruegg, a very generous gift! I liked "Spoke the wind", as well as the acoustical cymbals! :tu:

I noticed one interesting effect: when Linear FM knob is set to 0, I assign its modulation to EG, turn the modulation knob to the left (that is, to the area of negative values) and, in fact, no FM modulation should occur, but... something is happening, and it is different in sound from positive FM modulation! :o It's so funny! :D It looks like an Easter egg function, although I probably just didn't understand some technical point. :ud:

P.S. This effect is irregular, by the way, but FM modulation is minus conducted, although sometimes it is analogous to positive.

Thanks much.
J.Ruegg wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:47 am I present you:
3d screenshot.png

64 sounds for Whispair.

I still got a lot of terrain to explore in this synth during the month, but managed to make a preset bank before the 15th. :D

Only build-in wavetables used.

Download link here.

Enjoy :hyper: .

pd: I'm not creative enough with preset naming :?

I'll ask a question that has been asked probably a billion times around here, please ignore it if you feel that's the case...

Is there anyway to read/convert .fxp (.fxb) files to something that Logic can use (like .aupreset, maybe .vstpreset or .pst)?
(say, to enjoy the most likely excellent presets from J.Ruegg :wink: )

I am far from understanding what exactly goes in those different file formats...

Hey ! After almost a year I finally get enough time and peace of mind to participate to OSC again. I'm excited ! So I've started to fiddle with WhispAir and I think it's awesome. I noticed something that bothers me a bit though : moduling the scanner of the wavetables (the knob positioned at the right of "Shape") with an LFO (MG1 or MG2) seems to not function correctly (I might be completely mistaken though).
I guess the problem comes from the fact that the MGs are bipolar (can be negative) and that the Shape knob range is unipolar (only positive), which results in the shape of the oscilator not changing half of the period of the MGs (my 2 cents is that it doesn't change while the MGs yield negative values).

So my question is : is there a way to make the MGs unipolar or a trick to avoid this ? If no, I think it'd be a great addition to the synth to add the possibility to switch the MGs in unipolar.

@Full Bucket, thanks so much for this synth, I love it !

[EDIT] As always, I speak a bit too fast, placing the shape knob at 12 o'clock does the job :dog: , it's so obvious I don't know why I spent so much time on it. Anyway, I still think switching to unipolar would be a great feature, I have to admit I'm so used to have the possibility that I even forgot how to deal without hahahaha.

[EDIT 2] Well ... The feature is (not even) hidden in plain sight, I'm super happy cauz it's super fun and I'll be careful to not try to do anything clever when it's too late :wink:
Last edited by diaseis on Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

diaseis wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:58 pm ...
So my question is : is there a way to make the MGs unipolar or a trick to avoid this ? If no, I think it'd be a great addition to the synth to add the possibility to switch the MGs in unipolar.
Both MGs are available in the modulation source list as unipolar. Look for MG 1, MG 2 ( positive.)

ELEX wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:04 pm Both MGs are available in the modulation source list as unipolar. Look for MG 1, MG 2 ( positive.)
Oh my god thanks so much. Well I guess the synth is perfect. And I guess I should go to bed :hihi:

I've spent the last hour trying to create some pads with a slow attacking filter, but I just cannot work out why the filter is hanging open on individual notes when chords share the same note? I've just used the Init patch and adjusted the filters attack, nothing else, hoping it might help shine some light, but the same issue?
Why is the filter stuck open on notes just because it's the same note repeated? I don't get it? The filter works as expected and doesn't hang on a note when two chords don't share the same note. I notice the issue in many of the patches when there's an attacking filter applied. Any ideas? Bug, or just Whispair isn't recognising the note off/on so treats it has a held note?

https://youtu.be/79w196U3t8M

Ok, well I just ran the same midi clip with another synth in init mode (Bitwig's Polysynth), opened up the EG to 100% and slowed the filter attack in the same fashion and it works as expected without the stuck filter on the same note between chords, so either I don't understand the Filter EG of Whispair or it's a bug. I can work around it in Whispair by shortening each note by 0.0.0.3 in length to create more of a break in the midi note on/off, then Whispair's EG filter responds correctly.

Well I thought I finished an entry, and I'm really digging it, but when I rendered it and checked, it's almost 9 minutes long... Um... I'm thinking I should maybe edit my arrangement? yeah. maybe so. I mean will y'all want to listen to 9 minutes of somewhat generative (yes I'm still in VCV land) mayhem? hmmm... I'm glad there's two weeks left.

I would never make artistic compromises. The challenge has enough technical constraints. If the piece demands 9 minutes, go for it. I wouldn‘t hesitate to post a 20 minutes piece… Or 1 minute if thats it… The win is never the position you come in…

Return to “Instruments”