One Synth Challenge #152: WhispAir by Full Bucket Music (Aiynzahev Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
WhispAir

] Peter:H [ wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:42 am For me a VST synth is a piece of technology.
As this thread is derailing a bit, I moved my reply to the general discussion of OSC:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=301957&p=8232040#p8232040
We should leave this topic to Whispair…

and now for something completely different:

i noticed a quirk with how whispair handles .scl files. if i load a file with more than 12 steps, it reads the first 12 and then skips to the next octave. (so for example instead of 22ed2 i'd get steps 1, 2, ... 12, 23, 24, ...)

the mts-esp implementation does not have this issue so that works fine as a workaround, just thought i should mention it.

L-EctroBit wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:23 am
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:46 pm ”Ladies and Gentlemen”

My entry for KVR's One-Synth-Challenge using Full Bucket Music's WhispAir.

43 instances of WhispAir in Cubase 11 DAW.

Effects: Cymatics Origin, Initial Reverse, Expanse 3D, Brauer Motion, Litbit, Replika, TR5 CSR Plate, BureauJuice, Quadravox, Raum, VST Bass Amp, TB Reelbus V4, Grand Finale, MaxxBass.
It's uncommon to see someone use these two plugins here at OSC: Initial Reverse and Quadravox. Depending on how they were used may be they are outside of what the rules allow. Maybe Litbit too (depending of light or heavy use of it).

Edit:

I think one of the risks of allowing the use of commercial plugins is that someone may think that the rules about use of fx plugins do not apply to them as well.
Hey, so sorry, I'm a new member here and I obviously didn't read the rules properly. :dog:
I already know that I am disqualified ;)
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:07 pm I already know that I am disqualified ;)
Are you kidding?) Less than a third of a month has passed, there is still a wagon of time, some participants (including me) haven't even started yet - just replace these effects with allowed ones, even commercial ones are allowed this month! :tu: You have a cool track, don't give up the challenge so easily! :clap:
However, that's your business... :wink: :lol:

IV! wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:28 pm
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:07 pm I already know that I am disqualified ;)
Are you kidding?) Less than a third of a month has passed, there is still a wagon of time, some participants (including me) haven't even started yet - just replace these effects with allowed ones, even commercial ones are allowed this month! :tu: You have a cool track, don't give up the challenge so easily! :clap:
However, that's your business... :wink: :lol:
Many thanks for the encouragement! :tu: I think I might just start with a whole new track and also read the rules properly(!), we'll see what happens :)
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

IV! wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:28 pm
+1 :tu:

I moved my reply to the general discussion thread so that it doesn't take the focus out of the actual topic of Whispair.

This discussion is tiresome. The rules are pretty simple to understand unless you're intentionally trying to bend them.

No one is stopping anyone from experimenting and using a synth in any way they please outside of the contest. Constantly trying to bend the rules is childish.

I asked how folks here would feel about the suggestion that 'Simply any import of wavetables could be banned' and the discussion has been on the whole constructive, and I think helped to clarify the current restriction.
It seems there is little support for the additional restriction suggested, and a fair understanding of what the current rules are about.
Thanks to all who made constructive comments :tu: :hug: :hug:

Is there still an issue about this? It seems to me that as long as the synth has importing wave tables as a feature, and there are about a zillion free wave-tables available, why would there even be a question? Obviously, It should be allowed, and as we're in a paid plug in month if you want to use a WT from a paid synth that should be fair game (although I really can't see that being a game-changer).

This track is called Tāvatiṃsa and was made in Cubase Pro 11.

64 instances of WhispAir.

Since I didn't read the rules properly regarding effects when making the first track (Ladies and Gentlemen) I thought I'd try to make a whole new track using only WhispAir - this time not even using a single effect. ;)

There are no effects on any of the instances of WhispAir - 100% WhispAir.

Only the three following effects are used in the entire project, all three of them on the master bus, just to beef up things. ;)

Commercial plugins: Klevgrand's Grand Finale & Tone Empire's Optored.
Free plugin: Tokyo Dawn's Kotelnikov. That is all.

If I had read the rules in the first place I would never have made this song, Tāvatiṃsa, at all - in any shape or form. Spontaneous composition! :D
I'm really diggin' this song on so many different levels.
I had a very good time making this track - many cool feelings! :party: :o :ud: :love:

The disqualified track Ladies and Gentlemen was in 13/4 + 12/4, so this time we are keeping it real simple: - 120 BPM 4/4… ;)

https://soundcloud.com/user-414219875/tavatimsa

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:08 pm There are no effects on any of the instances of WhispAir - 100% WhispAir.
:phones: :tu:
A lot of people (including me) once chose this path for their first submission! :lol: Whether it's good or bad - only the author can conceive it.

Firstly - it's great that you didn't give up, and moreover, you made a new track! :clap: I take off my hat.

Secondly - the track is very cool, with the feeling of some unearthly holiday, as if incomprehensible dances of faraway Gods!

Thirdly - I would still advise you to work a little on the track with an equalizer; for all the charm of this piece, the upper frequencies are a little uncomfortable for ears. Subjectively)

IV! wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:40 pm
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:08 pm There are no effects on any of the instances of WhispAir - 100% WhispAir.
:phones: :tu:
A lot of people (including me) once chose this path for their first submission! :lol: Whether it's good or bad - only the author can conceive it.

Firstly - it's great that you didn't give up, and moreover, you made a new track! :clap: I take off my hat.

Secondly - the track is very cool, with the feeling of some unearthly holiday, as if incomprehensible dances of faraway Gods!

Thirdly - I would still advise you to work a little on the track with an equalizer; for all the charm of this piece, the upper frequencies are a little uncomfortable for ears. Subjectively)
Wow! Thanks!!! :D

I'm so used to not working with effects and in a extremely limited way since I have this little sequencer from 1993 called Boss DR-5: one drum track, 3 instruments and the cheesiest midi sounds ever! :party: The most underrated piece of gear - in my opinon.

Really love the Boss DR-5 but I haven't done stuff with it in ages.

Yet this track, Tāvatiṃsa, somehow has that Boss DR-5 feel to it and reminds me of the tracks I used to do with DR-5… Nostalgia. :)

For the next November OSC #153 I might just do everything with the Boss DR-5 and see where it takes me... 8)
It is those very nasty, harsh sounding hi-hats isn't it? ;)
I tried to tame them the best I could but will take your advice and really fix them properly! :)
:tu:

IV! wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:40 pm
- the track is very cool, with the feeling of some unearthly holiday, as if incomprehensible dances of faraway Gods!
Heaven of the Thirty-Three Gods = Tāvatiṃsa :party:

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:22 am For the next November OSC #153 I might just do everything with the Boss DR-5 and see where it takes me... 8)
I do not know in what context this can be done, since according to the rules probably you may be able to use it as a 3-track DAW, but you will not be able to use the included sounds. With no FX on board, it will... in my opinion, a meaningless restriction, unless you are a biiiiig enthusiast! :lol:
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:22 am It is those very nasty, harsh sounding hi-hats isn't it? ;)
I tried to tame them the best I could but will take your advice and really fix them properly! :)
:tu:
There are a lot of sounds in the high-frequency region, and different cymbals, and this kind of metal pad. Maybe you should wait for a few more opinions. I often find fault with high frequencies where everyone likes everything. (after all, perhaps one of the youngest ears in OSC :hihi: ) By the way, after several auditions, they no longer seem so sharp, addictive... So gather opinions, but do as your soul tells you! :hug:

Return to “Instruments”