One Synth Challenge #153: K1v by Nils Schneider (Vovaman wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The new note devices are pretty amazing in the 4.1 beta as is all the note-based improvements throughout. I'd hold out buying until 4.1 is released to get the max 12 months out of all the new features.

I'm hoping it goes on discount tomorrow I can snag it before Xmas. Already been playing with chance but yeah a lot of the generative bits are missing in 16 track

Here is my submission https://soundcloud.com/thefrozen-sea/st ... 1a8b76b16f

I didn't like this idea at first but I really warmed up to it. A strange little adventure in a way but still in 4/4 and my standard key of D minor (the saddest of all keys). Ironically I don't use any modulation FX when I finally get the chance. It didn't fit with the vibe, which I guess can be described as "locking five players used to the upright bass, vibraphone and woodwinds in a chamber with five Kawai K1 synthesizers".

For this song I have decided to depart from my recent minimalistic "don't fix what's not broken" mixing philosophy and step back into "you can't get enough saturation and colour". This is much more fun, I suck at mixing with detail, I just want to slap a Pultec EQ on there and turn knobs until I like what I hear. Feeling over precision. That philosophy applies to the performance as well, everything is performed, nothing quantized. I should have practiced more I guess but I think it sounds decent at least :)

Plugins used: Five instances of K1, Harp bass, Vibes and three woodwinds.
EQ:s
4x Ignite Amps PTEq-X
2x Elysia Niveau filter
1x TDR VOS SlickEQ
Compressors:
4x Klanghelm DC1A2
3x Klanghelm MJUCjr
Saturation:
3x Klanghelm IVGI
Reverb:
1x Michael Willis Dragonfly Hall Reverb
Limiter:
1x Sonic Anomaly Unlimited
Analysis:
1x Youlean Loudness Meter 2

Gonna hunt for more free analog emulation plugins to be prepared for the next challenge :) PTEq-X is awesome, but I'm getting a little tired of some of the others tbh.

Hi there! Here is my submission for this OSC:
https://soundcloud.com/peter-macmurchy/ ... 5f6796baa1

After several years of feeling that I just couldn't DAW it anymore, I suddenly found myself watching a certain salty local producer's master class and, so inspired, shat out this track. I shall now return to my pandemic bunker made out of hoarded arduino clones.

Made in Studio One 3.5.6 using 20 instances of K1v.

DAW FX:
Analog Delay x2
Beat Delay x3
Compressor x8
Limiter x2
Multi Instrument x3
Pro EQ x20
Spectrum Meter x1

3rd Party FX:
AXP SoftAmp PSA x1
FuzzPlus3 x3
Limiter6 x1
LoudMax x1
MJUCJr x1
RoughRider x1
Sanford Reverb x1
Saturation Knob x6
Stereo Touch x9

No idea what happened here: I finished my track 10 days before the deadline??!!!

https://soundcloud.com/alienxxx/alienxx ... 3-kiv-jazz

Entry for the KVRAudio OCS#153 competition.

To be honest, although we were allowed all sorts of effects (including granular) and to go to 11... I I think I kept it very reasonable.
The reason for that being simply that the sounds on offer did not seem to require that kind of heavy processing and would probably work better in something with a realistic vintage vibe. - My opinion at least...

The track is made in Reason 11.

17 instances of K1v

Effects used:
- Reason stock reverb and delay effects
- Reason mixer EQ
- Reason Master compressor
- Reason Master Suite (Compressor, EQ, Stereo Widener, Maximizer)
- Reason envelope controlled filter
- Reason Scream4 Distortion
- Blue Depth reverb (Reason Rack Extension)
- Filter by KiloHeartz (Reason Rack Extension)
- Ring Modulator by Kiloheartz (Reason Rack Extension) - 2 instances of K1v modulating each other.
- Softube Saturation Knob (Reason Rack Extension)
- Rob Papen Distort (Reason Rack Extension)
- Synapse GQ-7 Graphic Equlizer (Reason Rack Extension)
- Multicabined (VST by Audiffex)
- Amplitube 4 (VST, drive pedals, bass chorus, amp and cabinet)
- AXP Softamp PSA (VST)
- IK Multimedia Tascam Porta One (tape emulation VST)
- IK Multimedia TR5 Mic Room
- IK Multimedia TR5 One
- BIAS FX (VST, pedals: compressor, tape echo, chorus, drive/distortion, amp, cabinet, EQ)
- Waves PuigTec EQP1A (VST)

AlienXXX wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:37 am No idea what happened here: I finished my track 10 days before the deadline??!!!

To be honest, although we were allowed all sorts of effects (including granular) and to go to 11... I I think I kept it very reasonable.
The reason for that being simply that the sounds on offer did not seem to require that kind of heavy processing and would probably work better in something with a realistic vintage vibe. - My opinion at least...

17 instances of K1v

Effects used:
- Reason mixer EQ
- Reason Master compressor
- Blue Depth reverb (Reason Rack Extension)
- Filter by KiloHeartz (Reason Rack Extension)
- Ring Modulator by Kiloheartz (Reason Rack Extension) - 2 instances of K1v modulating each other.
- Softube Saturation Knob (Reason Rack Extension)
- Rob Papen Distort (Reason Rack Extension)
- Synapse GQ-7 Graphic Equlizer (Reason Rack Extension)
- Multicabined (VST by Audiffex)
- Amplitube 4 (VST, drive pedals, bass chorus, amp and cabinet)
- AXP Softamp PSA (VST)
- IK Multimedia Tascam Porta One (tape emulation VST)
- IK Multimedia TR5 Mic Room
- IK Multimedia TR5 One
- BIAS FX (VST, pedals: compressor, tape echo, chorus, drive/distortion, amp, cabinet, EQ)
- Waves PuigTec EQP1A (VST)
If I understand the rules correctly for this month, modulation fx are allowed but all fx still need to be freeware or native to a DAW. So stuff like Waves Puigtec shouldn't be allowed. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

TheFrozenSea wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:30 am
AlienXXX wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:37 am
If I understand the rules correctly for this month, modulation fx are allowed but all fx still need to be freeware or native to a DAW. So stuff like Waves Puigtec shouldn't be allowed. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)
Oh well, looks like I didn’t read the rules for this month, I’ve used a freebie I got, Arturia Plate 140, only minimally, but I cannot re do
So, good luck to all you OsCers :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

TheFrozenSea wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:30 am If I understand the rules correctly for this month, modulation fx are allowed but all fx still need to be freeware or native to a DAW. So stuff like Waves Puigtec shouldn't be allowed. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)
Usually they just need to be available (paid FX allowed).
But you are right, that is changed for this month.
I am probably out - unless I can re-work it and re-submit with only free/native FX.

Eauson wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:51 am
Oh well, looks like I didn’t read the rules for this month, I’ve used a freebie I got, Arturia Plate 140, only minimally, but I cannot re do
For a bit of extra reverb I would not disqualify your entry,
but I'm not the ruler, <wink>

liqih wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:30 pm
Eauson wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:51 am
For a bit of extra reverb I would not disqualify your entry,
but I'm not the ruler, <wink>
Thx Liqih, I guess I just made an error, different months different rules I guess got me :)
I will dsq myself anyway :tu:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

To be honest, although we were allowed all sorts of effects (including granular) and to go to 11... I I kept it very reasonable.

NOTE: I had to re-submit my track since it used some commercial effects and the rules only allow for DAW built-in effects and free plugin effects. The track has been updated in Soundcloud.

Still using 17 instances of K1v

Effects used:
- Reason mixer EQ
- Reason Master compressor and channel compressor
- Reason Quartet Chorus Ensemble
- Reason Softube Amp and Bass amp (part of the built-in effects in Reason)
- Reason Thor synth. No oscillators used, just used it as an "effects" unit, as it can be routed to receive external audio signals, so I used it to have 2 instances of K1v modulating each other.
- Multicabined (free VST by Audiffex)
- Amplitube 4 (VST, only used the pedals, amps and effects that are available in the free version)

Replacing the commercial effects used with similar effects built from Reason's stock devices and free VSTs was easier than I though. Quite interesting how easy it is to replace one EQ with another, a reverb with a different one, and a (mild) distortion/saturation plugin with another (maybe adding a pre or post EQ). - Something to thing about next time I am considering buying a new expensive VST or rack effect...
Additionally to that, I was struggling with CPU before. Now I am barely going over 1/3...
Last edited by AlienXXX on Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(sorry. deleting a double post)

... deleted ... see new thread on page 7 ... re-enjoy ...
Last edited by doctorbob on Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Im intested in hearing what Aiyn Zahevs entry will sound like with this synth choice

https://soundcloud.com/bblunt-music/bbl ... 1v-contest

KVR OSC Nils K1v

Title: Ease Out
Synth: Nils K1v(x29)

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

Stock Plugins:
Sonitus Comp
BREVERB 2

THIRD-PARTY Plugins:
ToneBoosters Compressor
ToneBoosters Equalizer
BPB Saturator