IK Syntronik 2 is out (looks like 'MAX' version required to get new synths)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
167 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:20 pm

seagate2019 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:41 pm
Scotty wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Syntronik 2 loads up Syntronik 1 presets as does Sampletank 4. It took them less then 24 hours to respond to the issue. Peter provided the simple steps for those that had issues a few posts back.
And earlier rather cryptic posts implied that v1 instruments wouldn't work if they where obtained in the group buy. Anyway, I've moved on...
I got it as freebie in the group buy, works fine. You also get the same upgrade path as everyone else, there is an automatic coupon applied if you put it into the cart. I thought that freebies don’t get upgrade prices, but they do. So overall I think that’s all pretty fair.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

8263 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:16 pm

Having finally got CS to authorise and had a good play last night I think it’s a pretty good update. Once the full (max) version is included in Total Studio I will get it :tu: it’s a pity it want included in TS3.5, I would have upgraded now, but I can wait for 4.
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

User avatar
KVRAF
3888 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:32 pm
No idea, but thread bumps are thread bumps and people can make their own decisions regardless of whether someone with a beef with a company likes to roll through threads with opinions about products they never intend to even try and certainly don't intend to buy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think you have your work cut out for you, what with the arguably mediocre upgrade prices given to existing users of Syntronic and various Max versions, but the often forgotten Gear Credits and Jam Points that can drive that down a bit, and all the confusion all of it causes people. I tried to get people on another forum excited about the 25 for the price of one sale, but some people are so put off by the upgrade system IK uses they just don't buy your products and talk about it like it's rocket science. It's weird, but it is what it is.
I have relayed to the team that T-RackS and AmpliTube are the most sought-after for M1 native support, though I'm pretty sure they know that is the case. Doesn't hurt to reinforce it.
I'm rooting for Amplitube, but I'm pretty much in love with Mixbox, so if that's an easy port, which it very well might be, being newer GUI code etc. then by all means! :) T-Racks as well, but I get why that may take some time.

I don't think it hurts ARC at all to run in Rosetta, but I've gotten in the habit of running it in Rogue Amebas Audio Hijack thereby eliminating the need to remember to turn it off when making a final mix, so that native as well would be great.

KVRian
1492 posts since 11 Nov, 2009 from Northern CA

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:30 pm

I have the full original Syntronik and the full Sampletank 4. Since upgrading to ST4, I believe IKM has a new download manager available for the sample/instrument content (ST4 was a real challenge that way, given that I had unknowingly skipped a key download file and spent hours trying to figure out what the problem was).

So my questions are: How friendly is the new download manager in this regard? Does it figure out (correctly) where the old content is and use that location? Does it at least let you tell it where you want the content to go after uncompressing it? Does it let you specify what drive to use as the download/work-space area? Any other tips for those of us who are about to try this?

KVRer
5 posts since 22 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 am

flori89 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:20 pm
seagate2019 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:41 pm
Scotty wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Syntronik 2 loads up Syntronik 1 presets as does Sampletank 4. It took them less then 24 hours to respond to the issue. Peter provided the simple steps for those that had issues a few posts back.
And earlier rather cryptic posts implied that v1 instruments wouldn't work if they where obtained in the group buy. Anyway, I've moved on...
I got it as freebie in the group buy, works fine. You also get the same upgrade path as everyone else, there is an automatic coupon applied if you put it into the cart. I thought that freebies don’t get upgrade prices, but they do. So overall I think that’s all pretty fair.
how did you get the automatic coupon???
i only get the normal price!
thx

KVRist
167 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:32 am

mauro05 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 am
flori89 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:20 pm
seagate2019 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:41 pm
Scotty wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Syntronik 2 loads up Syntronik 1 presets as does Sampletank 4. It took them less then 24 hours to respond to the issue. Peter provided the simple steps for those that had issues a few posts back.
And earlier rather cryptic posts implied that v1 instruments wouldn't work if they where obtained in the group buy. Anyway, I've moved on...
I got it as freebie in the group buy, works fine. You also get the same upgrade path as everyone else, there is an automatic coupon applied if you put it into the cart. I thought that freebies don’t get upgrade prices, but they do. So overall I think that’s all pretty fair.
how did you get the automatic coupon???
i only get the normal price!
thx
Make sure you are logged in, and when I put it into the cart and then go to the cart, the coupon is magically added. Checked right now, works like a charm :)

KVRAF
10011 posts since 2 Sep, 2003 from Surrey, UK

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:32 am

dmbaer wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:30 pm
So my questions are: How friendly is the new download manager in this regard? Does it figure out (correctly) where the old content is and use that location? Does it at least let you tell it where you want the content to go after uncompressing it? Does it let you specify what drive to use as the download/work-space area? Any other tips for those of us who are about to try this?
A1: it is better in some respects, but is missing some features
A2: for Syntronik 2 ("Syn2"?) , there is no "old" content. All the Syntronik 2 library will be installed (including duplicates of the Syntronik (1) instruments.
A3 BEFORE you use the new download manager, the "IK Product Manager" ("IKPM"), set its downloads folder to somewhere with plenty of space. AND, before you install any Sounds Libraries, set the destination folder (click ".. More Options" in the IKPM. Details are in the IKPM User Manual.
A4 Yes, see A3

Tip1: the downloads folder is NOT automatically emptied after successful installation, to give you a chance to back up the downloads and avoid the Downloads Reactivation fee after 180 days.

Tip2: The IKPM will download and install the complete sounds library, hence the need to (2 lots of) plenty of space. The only time I have ever had 2 x 200GB disk space free was when I bought the system :)

Tip3: You might like to use the IKPM to install the software then download the individual Sounds Library files from your User Area/My Products and run the desired installers individually (Download them all so you can back them up).
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

KVRist
167 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:52 am

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:34 pm
Double Tap wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:30 pm
Is there host automation or midi learn in the new version?
Both MIDI learn and host automation are available in Syntronik 2. Sorry probably should have shouted that from the rooftops here.
Yes you should have, it's great :). Do good things and talk about them, you know. ;)

I have another question: In the promo video it looks like you can only choose waveforms from the same synth in the edit panel. Is that true, and if yes why? Wouldn't it be cool to mix two different synths together? That would expand the possibilities of S2 quite a lot!

KVRer
5 posts since 22 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:57 am

flori89 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:32 am
mauro05 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 am
flori89 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:20 pm
seagate2019 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:41 pm
Scotty wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Syntronik 2 loads up Syntronik 1 presets as does Sampletank 4. It took them less then 24 hours to respond to the issue. Peter provided the simple steps for those that had issues a few posts back.
And earlier rather cryptic posts implied that v1 instruments wouldn't work if they where obtained in the group buy. Anyway, I've moved on...
I got it as freebie in the group buy, works fine. You also get the same upgrade path as everyone else, there is an automatic coupon applied if you put it into the cart. I thought that freebies don’t get upgrade prices, but they do. So overall I think that’s all pretty fair.
how did you get the automatic coupon???
i only get the normal price!
thx
Make sure you are logged in, and when I put it into the cart and then go to the cart, the coupon is magically added. Checked right now, works like a charm :)
well...no magic for me :(
i opened a ticket with IK support, let's see

User avatar
KVRian
1151 posts since 18 Nov, 2004 from The Liberated People's Republic of Straya

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:59 am

I dunno, I finally decided to wipe EVERYTHING I have ever purchased from IKM from my hard drive and it left me with the same sense of well-being that you get when the doctor tells you that you are finally free from a persistent dose of the clap....Arturia doesn't cause the same burning itch that makes you want to chop your junk off.

User avatar
KVRAF
7542 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:32 am

seagate2019 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:41 pm
Scotty wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Syntronik 2 loads up Syntronik 1 presets as does Sampletank 4. It took them less then 24 hours to respond to the issue. Peter provided the simple steps for those that had issues a few posts back.
And earlier rather cryptic posts implied that v1 instruments wouldn't work if they where obtained in the group buy. Anyway, I've moved on...
They work and Syntronik and Syntronik Deluxe even chosen as a free choice in the group buy qualifies for the Syntronik 2 MAX upgrade.
EXPOSED (this used to say... oops can't do that, but just know I do want to avoid violating vurt's moral code and stay out of his grey areas)
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

KVRist
139 posts since 12 Nov, 2020

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:56 am

Meester Smeeeth wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:22 pm
I’m not too bothered about syntronik, I don’t really use it much myself but I can’t understand why anybody could be angry about it. There are plenty of modelled alternatives there’s literally no point complaining. Just buy what you like and ignore what you don’t.
Yes, I wonder who is "angry" about it. And we mustn't post anything negative about any products at all, ever, otherwise somebody might end up not buying them, which would be awful.
Who would buy Syntronik 2, and why? I posted up examples of the feeble number of presets you get, for a shedload of money, and a lot of hard drive space, and none of it sounds any better than any number of actual synth VSTis out there, which you can also do much more with (i.e. edit the presets much more than Syntronik 2 could ever allow you to.)

So far, nobody has rebutted anything I said, but apparently I'm wrong about it all. That's how KVR work. Each new VST gets its own fanboys who can't face any criticism of it, as if it's there sister or something...

KVRAF

Topic Starter

8263 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:11 am

Strangely, I don't think I have seen any actual reviews yet about the product! V2 is definitely better than V1, if the update is worth 100-150E is up to the individual.

Much of the anger seems to have been about the new synths not been included in the update and having to pay extra for them (the marketing/reporting was misleading on many sites that said the new synths were 'included' in V2....)

For me personally the issue was that they didn't include the MAX Version in the Total Studio MAX as they have included the MAX versions of everything else. 1st world problem, it will be included or given away in a sale soon enough, you just have top wait with IK and a deal or bundle will come along that temps you eventually (like 25 products free!)
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

KVRian
1492 posts since 11 Nov, 2009 from Northern CA

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:54 pm

DarkStar wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:32 am
A2: for Syntronik 2 ("Syn2"?) , there is no "old" content. All the Syntronik 2 library will be installed (including duplicates of the Syntronik (1) instruments.
Thanks for the comprehensive answers, DarkStar -*very* helpful!

This one point above concerns me a bit. I would assume there's a great deal of S2 content that duplicates S1 content, and as we're talking about sample libraries, we're talking about a hefty amount of disk space. Certainly, I can't be the only one concerned about the amount of needless duplication involved here. My monthly full disk backups take long enough as is.

Does IKM have a recommendation on this?

EDIT: Never mind ... I think have it sorted. Solution (in theory, anyway), leave the old stuff in place. Put the new stuff in a logical place (where ST4 will see it if that's relevant). Configure S2 to point to both the S1 sound locations and S2 sound locations. That's all perfectly logical ... now, let's just hope it really words that way.
Last edited by dmbaer on Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRian
991 posts since 3 Oct, 2011 from Christchurch, New Zealand

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:15 pm

dmbaer wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:54 pm
This one point above concerns me a bit. I would assume there's a great deal of S2 content that duplicates S1 content, and as we're talking about sample libraries, we're talking about a hefty amount of disk space. Certainly, I can't be the only one concerned about the amount of needless duplication involved here. My monthly full disk backups take long enough as is.
I binary compared the sample contents - the syntronik1 data included in syntronik2 ( so folders starting 53_syntronik in the instruments folders ) is identical to the same named folders syntronik 1 originally installed under the sampletank3 folder

Removing them from the sampletank3 folder renders syntronik1 un-usable ( can't find sample data ) - as you'd expect

It'd be really nice if IKM did an update for syntronik2 with an option to 'search legacy folder' so we could have JUST the syn2 sample data under the syntronik2 folder and syn2 would seach it AND the 'legacy' folder when loading ( that would keep syn1 usable for legacy projects, and save about 75gb of disk space)

Otherwise you could create symlinks from the sampletank3/instruments folder to the syntronik2/instruments folder for each of those folders ( all 22 of them ) - should work, but a bit messy

Return to “Instruments”