Moog intros Animoog Z with macOS AUv3 & VST3 support

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Moog has just introduced Animoog Z, a massive further development of the Animoog Synthesizer for iOS. The new version adds many new features but also for the first time macOS support. It also includes a VST3 and AUv3 plugin version.

It's a free download. You have to buy a $9.99 USD in-app purchase to unlock the full engine and it unlocks all three versions (iPhone, iPad, and macOS).
Screenshot 2021-11-23 at 18.19.09.jpg

The plugin version is a bit wobbly at the moment and needs a bit of maintenance as the main focus was to finish the iOS version for the launch.

I made sound demos of the three expansions which each priced $5.99 USD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRjNvfa ... =emb_title

I wrote an in-depth first look :)
https://www.synthanatomy.com/2021/11/an ... macos.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

There was an update to the iOS app the other day with a changelog of "What about Z?" Was wondering if something was up.

I've had Animoog on an iPad for a long time, before I even knew how subtractive synthesis worked, let alone the wackadoodle wavetable-ish thing Animoog does. This will give me an excuse to go through it again and see if I pick it up a little better. Thanks for the heads up.

Amazing - always loved Animoog, now to have this on Mac too is a dream come true. More presets from Suzanne Ciani too!!

SO MANY YEARS wanting Animoog as a VST. Thanks Moog.

Shame there is no PC version but happy to have this on my new M1 iPad :-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Managed to import all my Animoog presets easily enough on my iPad but can't see a way to do the same with the desktop app. File system is weird and placing old Animoog presets in the iCloud and internal user locations doesn't work, they are just ignored.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:25 pm Managed to import all my Animoog presets easily enough on my iPad but can't see a way to do the same with the desktop app. File system is weird and placing old Animoog presets in the iCloud and internal user locations doesn't work, they are just ignored.
Take the same Zip file (of the Animoog v1 folder) you created to import on the iPad, place that Zip file on your Mac and the right click on that Zip file. Select "Open With" Animoog Z. It will start the app which will then ask if you want to import (just like the iPad). This process worked fine here on my MacBook Pro.

emasters wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:50 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:25 pm Managed to import all my Animoog presets easily enough on my iPad but can't see a way to do the same with the desktop app. File system is weird and placing old Animoog presets in the iCloud and internal user locations doesn't work, they are just ignored.
Take the same Zip file (of the Animoog v1 folder) you created to import on the iPad, place that Zip file on your Mac and the right click on that Zip file. Select "Open With" Animoog Z. It will start the app which will then ask if you want to import (just like the iPad). This process worked fine here on my MacBook Pro.
Thankyou that worked - I have so many great presets for Animoog 1 and so far not so keen on the new banks.

Dope. Always liked Animoog a lot and wished they would release it as a plugin. So far it's only available as an AUv3 plugin, which (on the Mac) means Logic-only. I imagine they'll eventually release a VST wrapper for it like they did with Model 15.

For me the plugin is working without any issues in Logic. Standalone works too. Haven't tried it on iOS yet.

The interface kinda reminds me of Fallout.
Stormchild

Funky fresh.
Yo Leroy!

MillerSam wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:20 pm You have to buy a $9.99 USD in-app purchase to unlock the full engine and it unlocks all three versions (iPhone, iPad, and macOS).
Looks like that price is an introductory sale too.
Yo Leroy!

Arashi wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:09 am Dope. Always liked Animoog a lot and wished they would release it as a plugin. So far it's only available as an AUv3 plugin, which (on the Mac) means Logic-only. I imagine they'll eventually release a VST wrapper for it like they did with Model 15.
There’s a wrapper available on Moog‘s website. It’s working ok with Ableton Live 11, although I’ve had a few crashes when I tried to move the Path around.

And same here, I’ve been using Animoog for a long time, such a great synth. But I was always hoping for a desktop and AUv3 plugin - and more LFOs and modulation slots. The new version is a dream come true, indeed. :)

I think it was the first iPad synth I bought and I used it as a continuum like controller before I got a Seaboard

nanostream wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 am There’s a wrapper available on Moog‘s website. It’s working ok with Ableton Live 11, although I’ve had a few crashes when I tried to move the Path around.
Ah excellent, thanks! Turns out I was looking at the news article and not the full product page when I looked for it earlier.

Just did a quick test in Maschine (with the AUv2 wrapper) and it works. Tried dragging the path while playing a few notes; it didn't crash, but the frame rate plummets (which doesn't happen in standalone or AUv3), so I suppose there are still some kinks to be worked out with the wrapper.
Stormchild

I guess I need Animoog Z on my iPad if I want to export my old presets? Trouble is my iPad is too old to run Z but my desktop can. Does anyone have a zip file (with even the basic presets) so I can figure out how to make a zip file that Z can import? Or even just a description of the folder structure.
I was able to import my old presets easily enough. I don't think it's too particular.

Preset navigation is not great with the Mac version. You can't grab and drag the scrollbar to scrub faster through the list. Which is painful when you've imported hundreds of presets from Animoog.

Feels a little janky right now, so I hope Moog are as dedicated to the Mac versions as the iOS ones. I already bought Animoog twice on iOS so I'm on the fence about buying it a third time to have it on the desktop, but then I did get Model 15 for free when they gave away their stuff for Bob Moog's birthday.

I'll play around with it a little more and see.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Instruments”