Your fav expansion for Toontrack Studio Drummer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since you can not demo Toontrack expansions, I would like to know what
expansion(s) you like and why.

DECADES. Probably my all round favouite, it's so versatile and huge it's almost and 2nd core library, and it can range from old brush kits to contemporary stuff. Tonally it's excellent.

THE PROGRESSIVE FOUNDRY. I've found this really useful - I'm hardly a prog kinda guy, but this works just great in other contexts with some killer kit pieces.

INDIEPENDENT. This, by contrast, feels a bit more niche. Great for when you want a real sounding contemporary kit, not over-produced or hyped. Can work great for softer stuff too.

NEW YORK SERIES. I had SD2 which is now vol 1, and also vol 2. Both very strong, vol 2 has one or two kits in particular I love.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

You said "Studio Drummer" which isn't a product, do you mean Superior Drummer or EZ Drummer?

For Superior Drummer (sdx): Fields of Rock, Rooms of Hansa, Indiependent (if you like indie rock or vintage drums), Decades

For EZ Drummer (ezx): Big Rock, Alt-Rock, UK Pop, Into the Dark, Indie Folk

They all sound good, it just depends on what style you like. Just listen to the demos, what you hear is what you get.

Words of caution/advice!!!:

(1) Superior Drummer expansions are called sdx. EzDrummer expansions are called ezx. You can play sdx's AND ezx's inside of Superior Drummer. You can only play ezx's inside of EZDrummer.

(2) Some of the Superior Drummer expansions have corresponding EZDrummer expansions. For instance, the larger sdx Fields of Rock has a very paired down ezx version called Into The Dark. If you bought the Fields of Rock there would be little to no need to get the corresponding ezx Into The Dark, as its content is already included in the sdx. Some ezx expansions have no corresponding sdx though, like Big Rock Drums and Alt-Rock, so they would be safe to buy without worrying about getting a smaller or "paired down" version, since only the ezx exists.

More info here.

(3) If you're doing the Superior Drummer deal right now where you get a free sdx with purchase, I'd recommend Fields of Rock. It's phenomenal, but also huge in size. Afterwards I'd snag the New York vol. 3 right now while it's only $48 dollars. That's a crazy price you probably won't see again. Big Rock ezx for only $27 right is very good too, if you have the spare cash.

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:50 pm You said "Studio Drummer" which isn't a product, do you mean Superior Drummer or EZ Drummer?

I am sorry, I mean Toontrack Superior drummer.
Many thanks for your great informations.

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:50 pm You said "Studio Drummer" which isn't a product, do you mean Superior Drummer or EZ Drummer?

For Superior Drummer (sdx): Fields of Rock, Rooms of Hansa, Indiependent (if you like indie rock or vintage drums), Decades

For EZ Drummer (ezx): Big Rock, Alt-Rock, UK Pop, Into the Dark, Indie Folk

They all sound good, it just depends on what style you like. Just listen to the demos, what you hear is what you get.

Words of caution/advice!!!:

(1) Superior Drummer expansions are called sdx. EzDrummer expansions are called ezx. You can play sdx's AND ezx's inside of Superior Drummer. You can only play ezx's inside of EZDrummer.

(2) Some of the Superior Drummer expansions have corresponding EZDrummer expansions. For instance, the larger sdx Fields of Rock has a very paired down ezx version called Into The Dark. If you bought the Fields of Rock there would be little to no need to get the corresponding ezx Into The Dark, as its content is already included in the sdx. Some ezx expansions have no corresponding sdx though, like Big Rock Drums and Alt-Rock, so they would be safe to buy without worrying about getting a smaller or "paired down" version, since only the ezx exists.

More info here.

(3) If you're doing the Superior Drummer deal right now where you get a free sdx with purchase, I'd recommend Fields of Rock. It's phenomenal, but also huge in size. Afterwards I'd snag the New York vol. 3 right now while it's only $48 dollars. That's a crazy price you probably won't see again. Big Rock ezx for only $27 right is very good too, if you have the spare cash.
Can you have the expansions on different drives? Is it possible? Maybe one on internal and another on external ssd.

Plugintester wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:31 pmCan you have the expansions on different drives? Is it possible? Maybe one on internal and another on external ssd.
Yes, you can set this up in Toontrack's Product Manager.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I already have Superior drummer. Fields of Rock sounds awesome, but size is too large and regarding the sales price I think I ll grab New York Vol 3, it's also dope.
Thanks

Return to “Instruments”