IDM programs...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

well, I was just wondering what progranms would be useful for creating IDM/DnB beats...ya know, like the beats in Autechre tracks

I know that some people use trackers, but what would you people recommend? From what I know it's pretty much possible to get DnB beats in just about any good program like Fruity Loops (although I personally can't stand that program)

I know about the em411 forums but I just thought I'd ask you folks over here as well. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks.

- Sean
wir sind nicht ewig

max/msp and pluggo( www.cycling74.com both) would be best or smart electonix stuff( www.smartelectronix.com ). or you could use any other software and try to break the boundaries(it works). ;)

greetZ ANdreas

You could try Reaktor or Reaktor Session. Some of the ensembles sound like a drummer falling down the stairs so should be okay for your needs. Personally I can't stand that crap but it's there if you need it. :)

IDM = Intelligent Dance Music?? :shock: Get real, this is even worse terminology than EBM.

Anyway, the basis seems to be to avoid samples and to experiment with electronic sounds (e.g. vintage analog synths.) So be free and experiment!

CypherOne wrote:You could try Reaktor or Reaktor Session. Some of the ensembles sound like a drummer falling down the stairs so should be okay for your needs. Personally I can't stand that crap but it's there if you need it. :)
how can i forget that :hihi:

greetZ ANdreas

C00kie wrote:IDM = Intelligent Dance Music??
It's only called that because your average idiot can't follow along.

It's basically just another way of saying Experimental, but people like to have a genre to classify their music.

et voila
IDM = Intelligent Dance Music??
I've spearheaded the push to rename it to binky-bonk for ages now. It's onomatopoeically correct at least.

Oh, and keep your eyes open for a KvR member called Chris Ochre. He's our resident binky-bonk champion :)

cron wrote:Image

et voila
tsss...
all you need is

There's no such thing as an IDM program, however some programs allow you to dig deeper than others. Basically, you can make IDM(ish) stuff in most programs.
Autechre seem particularly fond of building patches in Max/MSP but they use every sequencer out there so a lot of post-render editing goes on.
Many just use Logic with Pluggo (Plaid, for example). Venetian Snares does his stuff with a $30 tracker program (although his latest stuff seems to heavily processed to be just tracker-stuf). The Lomechanik guys use Fruity Loops. And so on.

Other interesting programs/environments:
AudioMulch (my favourite), see cron's example-patch
EnergyXT
Pure Data (like Max/MSP, only deeper with a sparser interface)
Sonar with SmEx plugins and a bunch of interesting CAL-scripts

Groet, Erik

//edit: Sonar added
Pop music delenda est.

farlukar wrote:

et voila
tsss...
all you need is
:lol: :lol: :lol:

what genre is this anyway?

Markus

farlukar wrote:
et voila
tsss...
all you need is
or even ...

slainte 8) rob

pHz wrote:Image

slainte 8) rob
Cool!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:hihi:

donkey tugger wrote:

slainte 8) rob
Cool!

donkey tugger wrote:
OMG!!!
Now THAT saved my day!
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Return to “Instruments”