Perpetual Upgrades - My Head's Exploding!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This probably won't be a popular response but really, you don't have to buy the updates, or if you want to you can slowly do so.

When you purchased the software I'll assume you did so because you liked it. If so then chances are you got your money's worth. I'm interested in Kontakt 2 as I use it frequently, but compared to Steinberg they are only getting to 2.0 whereas Halion had 2 upgrades before Native Instruments announced Kontakt.

The way I see it, if I use the plugin and enjoy playing it time from time, it's a winner. I used to look at making music as 'if a song isn't made with the synth then the synth was not worth it' but I recently have found several synths I just love playing, getting my chops back on and feeling some enjoyment.

Put a price on it. I can't. Nor can I afford every upgrade out there, even if some look tasty.

So I'd say, give is serious consideration, decide if you are happy with the synth? If so, consider how long you've had it. Unlike hardware software depreciates quicker. We can afford, on avaerage 5 to 10 plugins to one $1500 synth. Just think of the upgrade prices of synths. When EMU was in the US. The modules they made had a $300 upgrade. You often got double the storage and lots of new samples, but still, $300 is a really go soft synth or with some judicious work, a couple of good software synths.

TO me, I'm still used to hardware and get giddy when I see a incredible synth for $80 as an upgrade, or for that matter, brand new synth.
Reviews http://www.musicfaq.net
Selected tracks from new album TRAUMA :
http://netnewmusic.ning.com/profile/BSatinover

Well, until I'm working with edits that don't set my CPU meter off, there will still be a desirability to upgrading.

I always buy trailing edge technology so that it's dirt cheap. Now, I realize there is freeze and render to take care of CPU problems, so I agree that almost anything we do CAN be done with our current systems; however, it's ultimately more flexible and powerful to not NEED freeze. When that day comes, then my computer will be powerful enough. ;)

Regarding lost photos and songs-- I think there are many people (obviously not all) that don't bother throwing out their crap digital pictures, either, because storage is cheap. We have burned copies to disc, and sometimes have redundant copies on different hard drives. It's feasible that somebody will discover a CD full of images the same way they'd discover a set of negatives.

Greg

x_bruce wrote:This probably won't be a popular response but really, you don't have to buy the updates, or if you want to you can slowly do so.

When you purchased the software I'll assume you did so because you liked it. If so then chances are you got your money's worth. I'm interested in Kontakt 2 as I use it frequently, but compared to Steinberg they are only getting to 2.0 whereas Halion had 2 upgrades before Native Instruments announced Kontakt.

The way I see it, if I use the plugin and enjoy playing it time from time, it's a winner. I used to look at making music as 'if a song isn't made with the synth then the synth was not worth it' but I recently have found several synths I just love playing, getting my chops back on and feeling some enjoyment.

Put a price on it. I can't. Nor can I afford every upgrade out there, even if some look tasty.

So I'd say, give is serious consideration, decide if you are happy with the synth? If so, consider how long you've had it. Unlike hardware software depreciates quicker. We can afford, on avaerage 5 to 10 plugins to one $1500 synth. Just think of the upgrade prices of synths. When EMU was in the US. The modules they made had a $300 upgrade. You often got double the storage and lots of new samples, but still, $300 is a really go soft synth or with some judicious work, a couple of good software synths.

TO me, I'm still used to hardware and get giddy when I see a incredible synth for $80 as an upgrade, or for that matter, brand new synth.
I'm siding with you on this one x_bruce.

A choice does exist: buy or dont buy the upgrade. Buying or not buying the upgrade, does not change the version that you've already bought. And I'm assuming you've bought a particular version of the software because it met your needs.

On some software, I refuse to buy an upgrade, on others, I'll buy an upgrade more to support the developers that created a plugin I truly use & enjoy.

serge

Return to “Instruments”