What types of synths am I missing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

and yes - Kubik is indeed wonderful and V2 will be even much better and easier to program (not that V1 is too hard to program) :-D 8)

b.t.w.: I think Kubik is rather light on the cpu for what it does... :)

omalley wrote:crystal

and it's free!!! :D If you don't already have it.
b.t.w.: Crystal does wave-sequencing (the successor to vector-synthesis) as well! :shock: :-D

ouroboros wrote: danke für die hilfe
(hope I got that right) :)
völlig richtig! (absolutely correct):D

I do have Crystal, yup.. ( I really like that new skin!!! ). I haven't messed with Crystal yet but have been wanting to for a long time. I know it is very well respected and one of the top freeware synths. just haven't gotten to it yet.. i wish I had more time to play....
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:
I am a preset whore...I just don't have the knowledge/skills involved..
Yes you do. try a different approach.

I sucked at it until I realized that I can take a stab (note, not a hoover stab :hihi: ) at patch creation from my own angle, and it'd be completely valid.

My approach:

Start from a preset I like, but that doesn't fit the song or my current mood. Preferably one that makes me just want to play the patch.

Twist knobs. Purposefully or randomly, depending on my mood. Until I hear something that makes me play something that fits with where I'm trying to go with the song.

Voila!

I guess most people call that a preset tweaker, but I like to think of it as standing on the shoulders of giants. And besides, 7 times out of 10, my result sounds nothing like the original patch. So maybe preset twister/destroyer would be the more approrpiate term.

And note, for me, this process is deeply intertwined with songwriting. So I'll probably never earn a buck being a patch programmer...

Hi,

yes, I do tweak, but I haven't made a patch yet that I am satisfied with, starting from scratch. I have tried a few times and the sounds sound really bad. I don't even know what I am doing.. but I do love to tweak presets.. :)
Play it by ear

reFX - PlastiCZ

pheeleep wrote:Hi,

yes, I do tweak, but I haven't made a patch yet that I am satisfied with, starting from scratch. I have tried a few times and the sounds sound really bad.
Same here. But I've learned not to give a flying farkle. that was the point of my post.
I don't even know what I am doing..
You know what you want/like to hear. Get there by any means necessary. Surprise yourself. Redefine what you like by accidentally happening upon it. The knowledge comes along the way.
but I do love to tweak presets.. :)
then take it a step further. its completely valid sound design, IMO. Standing on the shoulders of giants.

the way I see it, most synths tend to provide presets that run along the same lines. Basses in one folder, leads in one folder, pads in one folder, etc. In other words, they limit themselves based on perceived customer expectation. So whatever synth you buy, you're gonna get another 'hoover stab' and a few Moog basses. There is only one way to remove that limitation. There are a multitude of techniques available to you to carry out that 'way', however, and one of them may just fit you.

I think Absynth, Tera, or Reaktor Sessions will get you the most mileage as far as new and unique sounds go.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

jens wrote:Yes!!! If you still get the Waldorf bundle cheap somewhere (I've got mine for 50€) then do yourself a favour and buy it! :-D

However Kubik is a bit of a different beast than the Waldorf PPG (which is great as well) and until V2 is out you get it for 40€ :shock:

(in reply to luCIPHer)
yeah, attack is much more than a drumsynth, it's architecture is a synth actually, but with some unique features, great for a lot of things.

IF you can still find it, get it (got mine for 50€ as well)

and jens, i've heard that ;)
cofx guis are still putting me off, but maybe i have to try them anyway :oops:

luCiPHer wrote:
and jens, i've heard that ;)
cofx guis are still putting me off, but maybe i have to try them anyway :oops:
Kubik2 has got a new gui, precisely for that reason. :wink: :D

that's a bit of an older screenshot though - it still has advanced since then...

I have been eye balling Absynth for a while.. now, is it just me, or does the version 3 GUI look a lot less cool than the version 2 GUI ? I always thought the version 2 one looked really really cool. Disapointed in that change ( well not that much since I don't own the synth yet ).. oh well, maybe they will bring the old GUi colors back in version 4...
Play it by ear

yes but the fact of not having to mess around with multiple pages is an advantage, I think.

ooooh, a good looking cofx gui :love:
yup, i'll definately think about it 8)

about absynth 3...

the gui just works, and, i know that sounds silly, it actually looks good when you start using it :D

Hey guys, I tried the demo of Wusikstation and I am simply blown away by how cool it sounds. I am entering the group buy for it. I can tell it will get used a lot in my music. It sounds different than anything else I have. It will be a very nice addition to my synth collection :)
Play it by ear

Return to “Instruments”