noob needs helping making noise

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,

I've just bought an evolution MK461C controller/keyboard and can't get it to make a sound.

I've plugged the USB directly into my pc, my audio interface is an M-Audio 410 and I have a couple of samson resolves. My operating system is xp home.

I can get sound from my guitar and CD's etc but not from this new keyboard.

I'm using Traktion at the moment but can't even make a sound on the freebie software that came with the keyboard (Music Teacher, Sound Studio 2 and Storm)

The programmes I've tried to use all register key depressions but no sound?

Sound and audio devices is telling me that the keyboard is functioning properly?

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks.

As you probably know, this is a midi controller keyboard and doesn't make a sound on it's own. You have to make sure in the application you are using it in that you have a musical instrument (softsynth/sampler) assigned to it.

I also have a USB controller from another manufacturer and when i play in Cubase, i open a VST instrument, let's say CoFX Kubik. Then i click on a midi track and i chose an input, which is USB Audio Device (which is my USB midi keyboard) and for output i chose Kubik. This makes it so that i can play the sounds of Kubik with my USB controller and record etc.

I don't use Tracktion so i'm not familiar how you set up things there. Maybe some Tracktion gurus stumble upon this thread and can help you some more.

You are aware that the Evolution is just a controller and doesn't have any sounds of itself, aren't you? You need to load a softsynth within your host and use the evolution to control that, then you'll get some sounds.

Mr A

[edit] Hellbilly got there first dammit!

Mr Arkadin wrote:[edit] Hellbilly got there first dammit!
:dog:

:hihi:

Is there a Tracktion forum? Tracktion users would probably be able to help you best.

jzero wrote:Is there a Tracktion forum? Tracktion users would probably be able to help you best.
Yes, Raw Material Software

You drag the filter icon to the output section, adn select a vst instrument (if you have any installed, if not, you can do a search on the forum for some excellent free softsynths).
Then you assign the midi in arrow in the input section to that track by dragging it to its left side.
And that's basically it: you hit record and start recording...

regards,

p.

ps one more thing: you need to make sure that your vsti is on the same midi channel as your input device, but most are on channel 1 by default so that shouldn't be a problem...

Return to “Instruments”