Dear Steinberg.........

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

eyeknow666 wrote:
ozinga wrote:Instead of bashing the copy protection schemes(no good anyway because not one company will say "ok they are right no copy protection")why dont we try to come up with a better solution?then maybe they will start to listen.I have used almost all types pf protection.For me dongle is the best.I dont see any problem there.Better than C/R or popping in the cd every few weeks or whatever.
Oz
Your pathetic.
This is such a serious thing, and you act like "what are you bitching about dude" what the hell is wrong with ya'll?
When this came up at namm, EVERY one was bitching about it. What, now everyones decided you can't live without all the bugs and junk so "screw me and I should just stop whining?"
Great, well I will. This one hurts, I thought this would be the one time that some people would agree, but I am wrong so enjoy your dongles.

A better idea? f**king make shit that works and doesn't cost a fortune like tracktion or wusikstation, or other reasonable products.

Those of you who are against this post should be ashamed of yourselves......SHAME ON YOU! DONGLES ARE A VIOLATION, AND YOU SHOULD NOT SUPPORT THEM!!!!!![/code]
I just politely offered my opinion.I did not say lets stick to dongles.I just said lets find another solution because complaining about dongles does not help.Go get some anger managment you sickhead.
Oz

those centrinos are getting on for being desktop powerfulas well arent they

or do they just make the battery last by strangling the cpu

Could be the next computer is a laptop - cos the portability thing sounds nice

ericj23 wrote:those centrinos are getting on for being desktop powerfulas well arent they

or do they just make the battery last by strangling the cpu

Could be the next computer is a laptop - cos the portability thing sounds nice
No, they really are as powerful, at least for music/audio.

My own laptop is a P4, 2.8 Ghz, 512Mb Ram, 60Gb hard drive, and its two years old.

In the meantime the Centrino's came out. To wear a Centrino sticker, a laptop has to have a "Pentium M" processor as well as WAP, etc. It's the PentiumM processor which has changed the ball-game completely.

PentM chips tend to clock in at much lower raw speeds than P4 chips - usually 1.5 or 1.7 Ghz in models at present. Don't be deceived by the clock speed though... these devils are running much faster than they appear to be. In benchmark tests it's been shown time and again that Cesntrino chips outperform P4 chips running at around twice the clock speed :-o

Martin Walker has written some good stuff explaining this in Sound on Sound, and I think it's now past the 6-month period - meaning you can read/download the full articles from the SOS website.

The laptops the Music Service has for my music courses are all Dells with Centrino chips, and they are stunning. I want one, and will prbably upgrade my own system later this year to a laptop with the Centrino spec.

One word of caution though... if you are into big PC gaming, laptops seem to struggle here. I had to buy my son a desktop because my laptop wouldn't run his games. The problems seem to be with a) the combi CD/DVD/RW drives that ship with laptops and b) optimising graphics accelleration...
...but this has never given me any trouble at all in terms of music software.

But I wouldn't try to run SX3 on a laptop. If you go laptop I strongly suggest you look at the alternatives I listed before, which are generally leaner. I get the impression that Steinberg are increasingly aiming towards studio installations rather than mobile musicians. It will be interesting to see if this changes under Yamaha's watchful eye :wink:

games I can leave on a desktop internet machine but damn I like sx - and none of your alternatives could fit the way i work apart from traktion

and i'm sorry id miss my midi plugs too much

The bottom line is it wont happen before the end of the year anyway :( - but thanks for the window shopping advice :D

Steinberg introduced past year Cubase System 4 and 2. A mobile solution. So, you see, they want us (laptop users) :hihi:

And , by the way, it's wrong to think that a powerful laptop could't handle Cubase. They really can. Believe me I see this every day, and my God it's running fast! :D
No difference from the desktop size :wink:

tumburu wrote:Steinberg introduced past year Cubase System 4 and 2. A mobile solution. So, you see, they want us (laptop users) :hihi:
Good point...

tumburu wrote:And , by the way, it's wrong to think that a powerful laptop could't handle Cubase. They really can. Believe me I see this every day, and my God it's running fast! :D
No difference from the desktop size :wink:
If you go for Cubase on a Laptop -

...and I mean SX3, not the "lite" versions used in System 2 & 4 ...

- then i would definitely recommend having 1gb RAM installed upfront.

I agree :)

I'd really suggest to stop whining about dongles, or Steinberg in particular. Simply don't buy it, and don't waste your time complaining about it.

Every software-protection has advantages and dis-advantages. And I personally have never experienced any problem with my SX3-dongle. It sits there, sometimes flashes, and that's about it.
I can sell it, carry it around and use it on different computers.. seems very friendly to me.

And to know that there's still no crack gives me the feeling that my money is well spend on Cubase AND the dongle.

sincerely,
2-cent-bleeb

:uhuhuh:

do these pentium m things denormal ?

bleebsen wrote:I'd really suggest to stop whining about dongles, or Steinberg in particular. Simply don't buy it, and don't waste your time complaining about it.

Every software-protection has advantages and dis-advantages. And I personally have never experienced any problem with my SX3-dongle. It sits there, sometimes flashes, and that's about it.
I can sell it, carry it around and use it on different computers.. seems very friendly to me.

And to know that there's still no crack gives me the feeling that my money is well spend on Cubase AND the dongle.

sincerely,
2-cent-bleeb
So you would feel cheated that you paid for the software if a crack existed?!?!? bollocks!

I dont give a shit if everyother citizen of the planet uses the crack, I have the peace of mind that I didnt have to steal my software. I like how steinbergs marketing has spun this dongle thing- we made you buy a dongle for your own good. Obviously the lack of a crack still hasnt prevented steinberg from having financial woes, so it sounds to me like a management problem.

Im sure Cubase is a great app and I would probably love it if I owned it. The fact remains, however no matter how you spin it, that Steinberg is punishing the paying customer by forcing them to buy a dongle...

crap, crap, crap :smack:

I'll second that also...I don't give a shit that Steinberg require a dongle. It's never caused me personally any hassle whatsoever. I don't use a laptop, so my view is obviously different to those that do I suppose. And I have read several things pointing to the inability so far to crack recent Steinberg products - I don't know for sure whether that's true...if it is though, then I'm pleased they use a dongle - I don't want my expensive s/w being used by warez thieves - it makes me feel good it's uncracked. I work to earn my money, and I paid it out for SX3. If a dongle benefits me by thwarting the thieves, that's fine in my book.

And.....
Your pathetic.
This is such a serious thing, and you act like "what are you bitching about dude" what the hell is wrong with ya'll?
When this came up at namm, EVERY one was bitching about it. What, now everyones decided you can't live without all the bugs and junk so "screw me and I should just stop whining?"
Great, well I will. This one hurts, I thought this would be the one time that some people would agree, but I am wrong so enjoy your dongles.

A better idea? f**king make shit that works and doesn't cost a fortune like tracktion or wusikstation, or other reasonable products.

Those of you who are against this post should be ashamed of yourselves......SHAME ON YOU! DONGLES ARE A VIOLATION, AND YOU SHOULD NOT SUPPORT THEM!!!!!![/code]
Get a life. It's seious to you, but unfortunately to many many others such as me, it means nothing. It's not a problem in the slightest. Go complain to Steinberg - I wish you luck...that is your right...it's also your right to buy a different host. For me SX3 works extremely well - never noticed any bugs in the way I like to work, and it does most of what I want. And, no, dongles are no violation to me at all and I do not feel in the slightest bit ashamed - why should I?

Everyone is complaining about dongles? I don't think so...I've met many Cubase users to whom it simply is not an issue. Not that it can't be, I suppose. If dongles are so intense an irritant to you, I suggest you're not spending enough time making music rather than playing with technology.

It simply boils down to the fact that Steinberg are still one of the market leaders in music host s/w because they make a product that a majority find user-friendly and productive....and we'd rather have that if it means using a dongle than using something less friendly to us but with less "violating" copy protection scheme (whatever that is).

Return to “Instruments”