I know most of you are aware, but Triangle II is wow!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have begun the journey into synthesis, and there is no turning back! I do not know how to use Trianlge II (because I am beginniner) but the presets are incredible!!! It's amazing what you can get for free these days. :hihi:

Anyhow, I wanted to know if anyone is aware of any good tutorials to really explain the basics on it all. One thing I would love tolearn the most is how most of these synth patches sort of evolve. I think it has something to do with the oscillators? It just brings so much life to music! I must learn!!!

Thanks again!

Welcome, howdy, and hiya. Wonderful stuff, innit? Rene's very kind giving this great-sounding little fella away. Of course, after hearing it you're supposed to want to buy Square or Pentagon or maybe z3ta+. ;-) I eventually got z3ta+ and have been happy with it too.

Triangle II emulates an analog subtractive synthesizer. If you google for subtractive synthesis tutorial you'll get lots of links, some quite good. You might have to adapt what they say to what's in the Triangle, but you'll get the basic idea.

And I suspect someone will be along shortly with lists of favorite tutorials.

Meffy

P.S.: When you first dig in, it's going to look intimidating. Don't let it scare you. Bristle your fur, ball up your fists, and wade in. Try simple stuff first, then work your way up. It looks complicated but when you tackle it a piece at a time, you'll be amazed how soon it all seems familiar.

Best of luck!

I understand it might take some time to learn. But I am more than willing to learn it all, regardless of the work. I have been doing music for like the past 6 years now, but have NEVER bothered making my own sounds. I have been stuck in limbo for the past 6 years! Now I really want to get down to it all. Synthesis, building soundfonts and all, Sampling, and even though I sort of play piano (by ear) I wanna learn it so I plan to take some classes come summer time. Also, if anyyyyone could refer to me any literature whatsoever on it all (synthesis)whether it be books, pamhplets, or online tutorials I would be deeply deeply appreciative!

The first link that came up when I googled was Yala Abdullah's page, which covers all the basics very briefly, with simple illustrations. You don't have to memorize all this, but it's nice to be able to remember some time in the future "ah, I recall hearing something about a 'harmonic series'... so that's related to 'additive synthesis,' eh?" A lot of what's on that page will become second nature as you play with your synth(s) and learn what tweaking each knob does.

Here's Computer Music magazine's tutorial, somewhat slicker but covering much the same material. There are lots more -- give these two a look, then google for yourself and see what suits your need for depth/detail or brevity.

Meffy

Thanks! I'll check them out!

Last edited by M'Snah on Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J_A_Starner wrote:the presets are incredible!!! It's amazing what you can get for free these days. :hihi:

http://kriminal.presetbank.com/VST/Krim ... angle2.rar

:wink:

I read the Computer Music Magazine tutorial. Very helpful indeed. And I must say, I have not a clue how a modular synth works, but seeing that, it made me want one! :hihi:

Thanks!

Modulars are what I learned on. Fun fun, lots of work. If, after you've got a handle on things, you want to try that experience without all the hardware, and have some cash to burn, there's Arturia's Moog Modular V; I love mine to bits. You can do a lot with NINE oscillators -- including bring your CPU to its knees. =^_^=

But back to the freebie: Krim's patches will show you what kind of havoc a mastermind can wreak using a free synth.

Meffy

Go check the Computer Music tutorial mentioned above, although I believe one of the pictures said it was a sawtooth wave and it was actually a triangle wave.

Also grab the free patches for T2 here and on PatchArena.

When you've mastered Triangle 2, Synth 1, and FreeAlpha, you can make a lot of music - for free.

Doug
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

after reading that Computer Music manual...

a very useful advice (that's the method I used when I started learning about synthesis:

Open an instance of the synth you like (Triangle II) for example and choose a preset you like a lot.

Now open another instance of the same synth and reset it, I mean, put a blank preset or a very simple one.

NOW compare both and try to reach the sound of preset 1 from the blank preset of the second instance. move the parameters so that you'll see how the blank preset evolves slowly towards the sound you are trying to emulate.

That's how I learned (I used Synth 1) and it helps a lot in understanding how everything works.

A really good series of articles can be found in the Sound On Sound technique articles section under "Synth Secrets". Start at Part 1 and work your way up from there. It starts from the fundamentals of synthesis and progresses through synthesizing particular types of sounds. Also poke around the rest of their articles section as there are many great tutorials on every facet of production.

Return to “Instruments”