I can't seem to find a great drum module!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've tried LM4, Battery 2, DR-008, DFH2, BFD, Artist Drums, but the only one that I really like is the sounds from the Artist drums with Simon Phillips kit. It is really amazing but not usable because of the natural ambience that the kit was recorded with that cannot be removed.

LM4: doesn't have anything appealing.

Battery 2: has pads but really crappy hi-hats and cymbals.

DR-008: Forget about it.

DFH2: this is workable but no cigar. I can't stand the bleeding of the snare into the bass mike or visa versa. Why would they do that. Every engineer that I speak to says that there's a challenge trying to remove that bleeding of sound from one pad to another and DFH puts it in despite. I don't get it.

BFD: I can't find a happy medium with the different sounds. Plus you can't expand to get more toms or double bass etc.... Also, there's no really great toms, or really great bass drum sounds. The rest seems to be okay.

What is everyone else using? I don't have more money to throw away.

Style of music, Rock, Jazz fusion.
Please and thank you.

SAB wrote:I've tried LM4, Battery 2, DR-008, DFH2, BFD, Artist Drums

What is everyone else using? I don't have more money to throw away.

Style of music, Rock, Jazz fusion.
Please and thank you.
RMIV from Linplug.

Is it good all around, hats, cymbols, toms, snare, bass?

Thanks.

blah
Last edited by splattabreakz on Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galaxy rayyys! powerful.

SAB, re: BFD - the 1.5 update due soon is supposed to double the number of kit "slots" so you can have double kicks, etc. And there is an XFL expansion pack that has more kit pieces if you didn't know.

Also, fxpansion has free programs to allow you to use Scarbee Imperial Drums and Drumkit From Hell Superior samples from within BFD if you own those libraries.
Regards, Mike

mn,

Thanks for the tip. I new there was a 1.5 coming out soon but can't wait that long.
I hope everything that I read about this 1.5 will be all that and then some.

mn,

Thanks for the tip. I new there was a 1.5 coming out soon but can't wait that long.
I hope everything that I read about this 1.5 will be all that and then some.

SAB wrote:DFH2: this is workable but no cigar. I can't stand the bleeding of the snare into the bass mike or visa versa. Why would they do that. Every engineer that I speak to says that there's a challenge trying to remove that bleeding of sound from one pad to another and DFH puts it in despite. I don't get it.
As I understand it they have room miking put on a few places around a full kit. When hitting snare there might be vibrations on kick as well, but I don't think they used the kick mike.

I only have DFH1, but even these have a separate drumkit set with only room miking, making it possible to mix amount of room to your liking.

Can't you adjust room amount in DFH2?

I made a experiment mix where I in realtime increased room miking along the mix:

http://www.frndsw.com/privat/Jam1.mp3

It's dry until first crash cymbals then increases room.(done i Vsampler).

Have you rolled off all room miking and still get a disturbing bleed?

I would be surprised if you cannot do that. Otherwise I'm not sure which samples are used for DFH2. If it's DFH1 just put in Kompakt sample player or a completely different sample set.

SAB wrote:DFH2: this is workable but no cigar. I can't stand the bleeding of the snare into the bass mike or visa versa. Why would they do that. Every engineer that I speak to says that there's a challenge trying to remove that bleeding of sound from one pad to another and DFH puts it in despite. I don't get it.
Some people seem to prefer the more 'natural' sound
Of the mics bleeding into each other. I mean when do you actually hear a real live kick drum without some snare rattling in real life?

I'm not being a smartass. I don't actually care one way or the other , because I don't use samplers for drums. But I know that I have heard many people talk about this.

Return to “Instruments”