your go-to plugin for bass?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good stuff Jezz. You must takes note when exploring this - I just tear my hair out muttering this sounds like s%^t.

I think I am in general not that fond of effects when overused so when I apply them I get thrown off very easily.

The limiter is definitely overblown esp on drums which really bugs me. The crusher i don't get at all - sounds like my grandmoms old transistor radio - why? why? why would anyone use this?
The envelope confuses me because there is no display of the envelope.
The cabinets are the most useful effect in ST2/SS2 that I have tried - subtle and sometimes pretty tasty.

goto symptohm do not pass go unless its to minimonsta 8)

Symptohm eh - I plan to attack to tutorial again this evening - i got as far as saving my own metapatch last time :hyper: :smack:

Beardedone wrote:Good stuff Jezz. You must takes note when exploring this
Not quite. I just understand this stuff really well.

Beardedone wrote:The limiter is definitely overblown esp on drums which really bugs me.
Like I said, it's much gentler if you back off the drive and overload controls, and increase the release. Try it.

Beardedone wrote:The crusher i don't get at all - sounds like my grandmoms old transistor radio - why? why? why would anyone use this?
The crusher is one of those effects - if you don't understand why anyone would want to use it, it's probably not for you. :wink: I love it for lofi crunchy hard distorted sounds. :love:

Beardedone wrote:The envelope confuses me because there is no display of the envelope.
If you know how to use it, you don't need an envelope display. If you turn the frequency down, and the depth up, you should be able to hear it working.

Forever,

Kim.

what kinda bass are we talking about? sub bass? synth bass?

subs = hydra

synth bass = virus b

Beardedone wrote:
Good stuff Jezz. You must takes note when exploring this

Not quite. I just understand this stuff really well.
Right but where did you learn it - from using hardware?

If you know how to use it, you don't need an envelope display. If you turn the frequency down, and the depth up, you should be able to hear it working.
One more question. What kind of soumds are the envelope filter most useful, pads and long sustain and release patches?

Beardedone wrote:Right but where did you learn it - from using hardware?
No, I'm too young for hardware (only 22!) - and hardware is way too expensive here in Australia anyway...

... anyway, I've been programming computers most of my life, including four years programming in Max/MSP. Machines fix themselves in my presence. I am One with The Technology.

The only downside is that I've got no-one to share it with. I'm on the same level (technically, not musically :o ) as the composition and technology lecturer at my Uni (in fact, I've had several projects where he's paid me to develop software for him). I'm lucky if I find someone here (in meatspace) who uses software (or any sort of programmable digital gear) for music. :( It's a lonely, lonely world... Maybe I should teach myself filter maths...

:wink:

Forever,

Kim.

Wow 22. About half my age (I'm 51). I'm an old guitar player/jazzer. Different worlds eh?- I still struggle with using computers which after many years are still foreign to me in many ways. If they weren't so helpful with music and at work, I would go nowhere near them. But they are amazing most of the except when I have to learn someting new in a short period of time.

Beardedone wrote:
One more question. What kind of soumds are the envelope filter most useful, pads and long sustain and release patches?
No, it's best for rhythmic sounds. Try it on drums to get a feel for how it sounds, although you'd probably like it better on funky guitar or bass.

Forever,

Kim.

Subtractor, Malstrom, and NNXT.
-="I beat the Internet...the end guy is hard"=-

bass= vaz2010
bells and whistles bass= tera (1)
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

Jeez wrote:No, I'm too young for hardware (only 22!) - and hardware is way too expensive here in Australia anyway...
2nd hand hardware is cheap as chips. I got a pristine CS1x for less than $400 and I sold my Trinity for an obscenely low sum. Then there's ebay, I just got a practically new Edirol PCR-1 for just over $200 delivered and I have an Alesis Micron on the way for half its local RRP. Expensive my arse!

In fact, when it all arrives I will have more synths than I have had at one time in more than 15 years [when I got my M1 and sold off a few other things] and the total cost is about what I paid for a second-hand 01R/W in the mid-90's. Software seems to be driving hardware prices way down. Just for the record:- K-Station [$630], Micron [$500], CS1x [$400], PCR-1 [doesn't really count but it cost $200].
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

But consider that for those prices I can get top-shelf software. :?

Forever,

Kim.

As long as you already have a PC powerful enough to run it all. It seems to me that something like Micron is a viable alternative to a grunty DAW, if that's the only reason to have a powerful PC. I've been working some of this stuff out in my head but its probably worth starting another topic on so I'll do that instead.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”