Cheapest SoftSampler that'd read Kontakt and/or Halion forma

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I'm looking for a softsampler that would read Kontakt and Halion formats.

The thing is: I'm going to buy a Scarbee Fingered Bass (dl version) but have no sampler.

Is there a dl version of Kompakt or some kind of Halion Player?

I won't do much tweaking in there, I just need a player (with possibly good filters).

Thanks

k

Kontakt is the only thing that can read Kontakt as far as I'm aware. Of course, Kompakt can too since it runs on the same engine, but it's not that much cheaper, and you lose out on some functionality.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Unless you want to get Kompakt, I don't think there's another option at this point. $165 US isn't too bad for a sampler, and the library kicks ass, I hear.

What about >V-Sampler<? Check out www.vsampler3.com, if i remember rite, he is able to read kontakt files, but i am not sure..

frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

soulata wrote:Hi

I'm looking for a softsampler that would read Kontakt and Halion formats.

The thing is: I'm going to buy a Scarbee Fingered Bass (dl version) but have no sampler.

Is there a dl version of Kompakt or some kind of Halion Player?

I won't do much tweaking in there, I just need a player (with possibly good filters).

Thanks

k
If you have a library that uses Kompakt (like DKFH 2 or GPO etc.) you can get Kompakt for $129.00

jeffn1
To Hear Original Instrumental "Progtronic Rock" Music, go to:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0rPidJwBYGmKZFUV4joAKN

That's a great price!

From VSampler's website:
...Additionally to it's own format, VSampler 3 loads samples (WAV, AIF) and drumkits (LM4™) as well as the industry standard formats SF2™, Gigasampler™, HALion™, AKAI™ S1000/S3000 CD and AKAI™ S5000/S6000 .AKP files.

soulata wrote: Is there a dl version of Kompakt or some kind of Halion Player?
There is a HALion player, $99.99 from AudioMidi:

www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?pid=6256

It will play back instruments created for HALion 3.

/Yoss

bduffy wrote:That's a great price!

From VSampler's website:
...Additionally to it's own format, VSampler 3 loads samples (WAV, AIF) and drumkits (LM4™) as well as the industry standard formats SF2™, Gigasampler™, HALion™, AKAI™ S1000/S3000 CD and AKAI™ S5000/S6000 .AKP files.
That's not complete (their fault - they need to update it). Since that writeup, these have been added:
Kontakt (NKI, NKM)
Battery (KIT)
ReCycle (RCY, REX, RX2), independent change of tempo and pitch
Acid (WAV), independent change of tempo and pitch
E-MU CD (E-MU III and EMU IV CD)

I haven't personally tried anything but soundfonts, but I seem to remember reading about one user who was really impressed by the Halion and kontakt conversion ability.

That said, unless the original poster needs both, I'd recommend going with Kompakt.

JD

Of course once you have a good sampler, you could use Extreme Sample Converter to convert from/to each of the major formats, including even SF2 and sfz.

I've used Vsampler to import both sf2, giga (even 3.0), Kontakt and Halion sample sets, fast and easy. The only problem would be if the original sample set use filters and such that is unique for the "original sampler". Usually no problems with sample sets of "real" instruments.

The demo is unrestricted for 30 days. Worth checking out!

Extreme sample converter is excellent. It's also the best loop editor I've ever used (for setting the loop points on samples; you can set them earlier to shrink a huge sample set down to a more reasonable size). It's well worth the small price ($50, IIRC, or maybe that was 50 Euro).

For a good converter that will convert the first preset in any given file for free, try CDExtract.

If you convert to sf2 or sfz format, you can use the free sfz soundfont player (standalone or VSTi plugin) to play them. That's what I use, although disk streaming doesn't work on my laptop, so I can't use huge sample sets.

isn't Kompakt limited to it's own library, then ?

scuzzphut wrote:isn't Kompakt limited to it's own library, then ?
Kompakt Players that come with third party libraries (e.g., DKFH 2, GPO, etc.) are limited to their own libraries.

Kompakt (1) can play Kontakt (1) libraries (but does not offer as much in the way of sample manipulation).

In addition, Kompakt (1) cannot play or manipulate the third-party libraries which include the Kompakt (1) Player, but Kontakt can.

jeffn1

In addition, Kompakt (1) cannot play or manipulate the third-party libraries which include the Kompakt (1) Player, but Kontakt can.
This isn't the first time I've seen someone say this. I have five Kompakt Instruments (third-party) and all of the libraries will play in Kompakt. (v1.0.3.0016)The instruments won't load with double click but they will with drag and drop from the browser. I use Kontakt anyway but they will load and play in Kompakt.
Ben N. Moore

bnmoore wrote:
This isn't the first time I've seen someone say this. I have five Kompakt Instruments (third-party) and all of the libraries will play in Kompakt. (v1.0.3.0016)The instruments won't load with double click but they will with drag and drop from the browser. I use Kontakt anyway but they will load and play in Kompakt.
Oh, thanks for the clarification (and sorry about the misinformation).

I suppose most of the time there is not a good reason to use the files in Kompakt because it doesn't give you any functionality beyond that provided by the Kompakt Player provided with the library. (But I could be wrong about his as well).

jeffn1

Return to “Instruments”