Newbie question: Can I run VST's in Logic Express?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or do I need AUs? Also, are there any free or cheaply priced multitrackers that can hold up to Logic Express/Logic Pro?

I just wanted to ask before I went ahead and installed it and couldn't run my collection of VST's.

Unfortunately, you need to use AUs, although you can use a converter such as FXpansion's VST to AU wrapper to run VST plugins as well. Alternately, you can use Plogue Bidule to run VSTs and other stuff through Logic via Rewire, although this can be somewhat tricky to set up correctly.

If you're looking for a tracker, do you mean something like Renoise? Other than that, there's Tracktion, which does handle VSTs, and used to be available for free via a special offer - not sure if that's still happening, with the impending release of Tracktion 2...

Psycle is a great free tracker with VST support and modules.

ztrauq wrote:Unfortunately, you need to use AUs, although you can use a converter such as FXpansion's VST to AU wrapper to run VST plugins as well. Alternately, you can use Plogue Bidule to run VSTs and other stuff through Logic via Rewire, although this can be somewhat tricky to set up correctly.

If you're looking for a tracker, do you mean something like Renoise? Other than that, there's Tracktion, which does handle VSTs, and used to be available for free via a special offer - not sure if that's still happening, with the impending release of Tracktion 2...
Yeah, I'm looking for something more in the way of Tracktion (a multitracker, not in the modular sense). Seems to me that there are more free multitrackers for Linux (Muse, which looks great, and Rosegarden).

I have access to Logic Express, but I'm afraid that it might just end up being a beefed up version of Garage Band (which looks kiddy to me and not too professional).

I think I do have a version of that free Tracktion around here somewhere. Have to look.

Any opinions on Logic Express?

I use Logic Express as my main digital workstation. It basically has the same interface as the Pro version, but with less features and included instruments (at least as far as I can tell). It's certainly more capable than Garageband, and I actually find it a bit easier to use. I'd love to get my hands on Logic Pro, but unless you need access to really high-end features (or the built-in plugs), Logic Express works fine, and it has been more than adequate for me. However, I'm not a professional musician, so YMMV.

YMMV?

Will U JCTFSO?

Too many acronyms, not enough patience to decipher them.
Um....

Remedial wrote:
ztrauq wrote:Unfortunately, you need to use AUs, although you can use a converter such as FXpansion's VST to AU wrapper to run VST plugins as well. Alternately, you can use Plogue Bidule to run VSTs and other stuff through Logic via Rewire, although this can be somewhat tricky to set up correctly.

Yeah, I'm looking for something more in the way of Tracktion (a multitracker, not in the modular sense). Seems to me that there are more free multitrackers for Linux (Muse, which looks great, and Rosegarden).

I have access to Logic Express, but I'm afraid that it might just end up being a beefed up version of Garage Band (which looks kiddy to me and not too professional).

I think I do have a version of that free Tracktion around here somewhere. Have to look.

Any opinions on Logic Express?
For me, Tracktion is by far a better host than Logic Express, which for me seem a tad on the illogical....

I have LE7 and it's great, the Garageband instruments and the Logic instruments should take away most of your complaints about lacking VSTs. I tried the VST to AU wrapper but think it's more trouble than it's worth. Get a couple AU plugs, they should be available for any Mac VSTs you own.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:I have LE7 and it's great, the Garageband instruments and the Logic instruments should take away most of your complaints about lacking VSTs. I tried the VST to AU wrapper but think it's more trouble than it's worth. Get a couple AU plugs, they should be available for any Mac VSTs you own.
Funny, I adore my FXpansion wrapper, and it hasn't failed me so far. I agree about your main point, though: Most plugins worth having are already out as Logic7-validated AU:s.

teetow wrote:
braj wrote:I have LE7 and it's great, the Garageband instruments and the Logic instruments should take away most of your complaints about lacking VSTs. I tried the VST to AU wrapper but think it's more trouble than it's worth. Get a couple AU plugs, they should be available for any Mac VSTs you own.
Funny, I adore my FXpansion wrapper, and it hasn't failed me so far. I agree about your main point, though: Most plugins worth having are already out as Logic7-validated AU:s.
It's not that it doesn't work, just that it's a bit funky.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

teetow wrote:
100 dollars is a grip, but I might have to bust it out for the option to use my collection of VST's.

I think I saw an FXpansion VST-AU wrapper on audiomidi for $80 or so...

Return to “Instruments”