Creamware SCOPE - how does it stack up vs uad/poco?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i was browsing the creamware site and came upon this. How powerfull is it..how good are the plugins...how many instances of what can you run?

i've got one & in my opinion the included effects are weak when compared to the uad ones - I prefer to use some freeware ones rather than the scope ones. The synths r allright - but u really have to pay xtra to get the good ones - & using in xtc mode is fiddly still doesn't work right (re: remembering asio latency settings)

i sold my UAd-1 just coz CW is just as good. besides, i get mucho stuff way cheaper in the world of CW. as well as MARVELOUS synths. best synths i've ever heard, including hardware. i dont use anything else for synths now. just for the sake of getting creamware modular+flexor, getting a scope card is worth it. if u havent checked out the mp3 demos of flexor yet, do so! www.adern.com
XTC isnt something i would recomend, tho i have gotten it to work prefectly fine here, its not what creamware is about.
cw is about routing, modulation etc etc.. its just like working in a real studio where u have to drag the cables wherever u want/need them to be. and u can sidechain it all. :D also, u get no latency at all when working in SFP mode. (the opposite of XTC mode..) AND, u can build your modular stuff in realtime in modular+flexor during the song. (u cant do that in XTC mode..) oh man..there are so many positive things to say about the creamware card.. i could go on all day.
i'll round things up tho,
no DSP card is even close to what creamware is doing yet, the efx/synths sound way better than any of the competitors..(ok, uad sound damn great, but thats just efx.)
things are way cheaper and there arent really any limits when using the modular world of creamware. :)

cheers

I have both: 1 Creamware Pulsar II + 2 Creamware Luna II and a UAD-1.
Creamware is for Synth emulation and for XTC use (only modulation, rev and precision eq because i think the compressors are without character) and UAD is mainly for vintage compressors, rev and vintage eq.
My sistem is well tuned and complete. For the main tracks as el.guitar, voice, bass and main drum track, I prefer UAD plugs; for the other as digital pads, back.voices, guitars, digital sounds, etc. Creamware XTC works, in any case, better than any native VST plugin.
I use a PIII 1000 512Mb ram and I can build about 14 stereo tracks project without problem ;o)
(eq, compr, 4 every track and a lot of send FX) plus 3-4 soft synths as Minimax, Juno60, Modular, ect.
:wink:

erminardi wrote:I have both: 1 Creamware Pulsar II + 2 Creamware Luna II and a UAD-1.
Creamware is for Synth emulation and for XTC use (only modulation, rev and precision eq because i think the compressors are without character) and UAD is mainly for vintage compressors, rev and vintage eq.
My sistem is well tuned and complete. For the main tracks as el.guitar, voice, bass and main drum track, I prefer UAD plugs; for the other as digital pads, back.voices, guitars, digital sounds, etc. Creamware XTC works, in any case, better than any native VST plugin.
I use a PIII 1000 512Mb ram and I can build about 14 stereo tracks project without problem ;o)
(eq, compr, 4 every track and a lot of send FX) plus 3-4 soft synths as Minimax, Juno60, Modular, ect.
:wink:

great setup!
have u tried Vinco? i find that compressor to have lots of character. but of course, the uad-1 1176 is a little bit more precise in emulating the real thing. even tho it doesnt. :hihi:
where did u get the Juno60 btw? dont u mean UKnow 007? wich is a vague version of a Juno 106.

looks like im still leaning towards the uad-1

diverdee wrote:i've got one & in my opinion the included effects are weak when compared to the uad ones - I prefer to use some freeware ones rather than the scope ones. The synths r allright - but u really have to pay xtra to get the good ones - & using in xtc mode is fiddly still doesn't work right (re: remembering asio latency settings)
I don't own a uad, so I can't compare effects, but the CWA synths are absolutely top notch. Like steffensen said, you're not going to find better sounding (digital) synths even in hardware. The Modular III / Flexor combination is pretty incredible. As far as having to pay for 'the good ones', CWA now includes the Synths and Sampler pack with the 6 dsp card. That contains Minimax and Modular III, plus a bunch of other stuff. Modular III alone is enough to keep anyone busy for years.

Like everyone else said, the Modular III/Flexor combination is pretty amazing. John Bowen's synths are also great, as is the Minimax and Vectron. Unfortunately, on a 6DSP card (Pulsar II / SCOPE Project), you can't get many quality synths running at once. A couple of Minimaxs and its full. The modulation and reverb effects are stunning. Check out some of the delays/echos by Celmo, and the P100/A100/I100/CD100 devices from reLab/STW. Those are some of the nicest reverbs and chorus fx available in software form, period. The SCOPE platform has unparalleled routing, and the mixers sound great.

UAD-1 definately takes the cake when it comes to EQs and compressors, and for the P.Limiter, although the Vinco and DaDev compressors are pretty good for SCOPE. The EMT 140 reverb is great too. You could get 2xUAD-1 cards for roughly the price of a 6DSP Creamware card. With 2 UADs the most resource-hungry plugins like the EMT,Fairchild, and PultecPro take only about 8-10% of the DSP. The LA-2A sounds awesome and only takes something silly like 3-5%.

Never used CW but I am a
very happy user of UAD-1.
Yes the EQ and compressors are great but the Plate reverb is the one that gets used the most.
It's simply priceless for instrumental music.
Very interesting things to come out this year from UA as well.
Most plugs are top notch leaving you to believe you control hardware.

The way the Scope system allows you to integrate outboard hardware into its routing/mixing environment is very, very powerful. I can not imagine working without this flexibility. I'm still very much an analog kind of bloke...I don't want to be without that hardware element, but at the same time digital has so many obvious advantages I would not want to be without either. Creamware's Scope platform does a superb job of bringing the two together in a wonderfully effective way.

I do not really see the UAD cards in competition with Scope DSP systems. The UAD-1 is a just a DSP plugin solution, albiet a good one. The Scope platform is an extremely capable routing matrix, one that just happens to have some decent soft synths and Fx to bring to the party. Which you choose would depend on what it is you need most. In my case, I have alot of outboard hardware and plenty of hardware synths that I like, and am familiar with. Being able to integrate these into one digital evironment is what sold me on the system. It stands alone in this regard.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders - Lao Tzu

creamware card is the best for routing and versatile audio functions. it is also top for synths. plus there are hundreds of free devices.

uad seems better for its effects, but is very narrow compared with creamware's range of goodies.

also beware using uad with sonar there are monay reported problems with this combo on the sonar forum.

Return to “Instruments”