Power metal synth sound?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I know there has been a similar thread to this but the thread starter wanted to do a parody of power metal. What I am trying to do is the polar opposite. I plan to do power metal for real.

I'm trying to create a similar sound to the intro of this video right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keXfiffBzFw

Is this possible on FM8 and if so, what should I do to get that sound and if not, are there any free VSTs that I can use to get that sound? I absolutely have to use a 64-bit instrument and a bridge app is not an option in my circumstances (I did purchase jBridge but it has been unreliable).

Also, what other sounds should I know about when trying to make power metal besides the above sound and the keyboard lead sound that I already found the tutorial for? I also have Massive if it's any helpful information.

Thanks,
Joonho

Sounds like your basic rompler strings patch. Get a rompler and it should have something similar.

I don't think it's that simple. Honestly I'm hearing a little bit of loud reverby brass stuff going along with it as well as some strings and a supersaw. I ended up reinstalling JBridge and I started to use some of the free 32-bit plugins again, and I found one synth in particular that has some good brass sounds that could use a little bit of tweaking, maybe?

I'm not really sure if that's a rompler though. It sounds a bit too synthetic to be a rompler.

Thanks,
Joonho

j_. wrote: It sounds a bit too synthetic to be a rompler.
Does not compute ... :ud:
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I dunno, I know for a fact that Sabaton uses actual keyboards so I don't know if it's any likely that they may have used a rompler. Unless there's some rompler technology in some of these keyboards that I don't know about. I've been looking at synth cover videos of Sabaton's songs, and I know most of them use a Korg or a Yamaha, but not a DX7.

One uploader in particular uses a Motif 6, but I'll have to recheck how accurate his patch is. EDIT: Yea, it really sounds on-point. On the intro anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=949AWDUIqD8

Another good patch I found (again, intro)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UtmyvzgqV0

This one's a Korg Triton LE.

Thanks,
Joonho

Most modern keyboards (Yamaha Motif etc) are just that: a rompler.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

P
BertKoor wrote:Most modern keyboards (Yamaha Motif etc) are just that: a rompler.
Beat me too it ... Yamaha & Korg make a ton of romplers, altho the DX7 is not one of them (its FM).

BertKoor wrote:Most modern keyboards (Yamaha Motif etc) are just that: a rompler.
Hi BertKoor

Wow, I didn't really know that. I thought they were synthesizers as well...

So it appears I won't be able to get such sounds with a synth plugin instead of the samples that have such sounds, then?

Thanks,
Joonho

Well, they can be both: loads of waveforms to load from ROM, add to that a VCF / VCA and you can do the same as old-fashionned synths! Best of both worlds...

If you kindly list the synth plugins you own, someone might be able to direct you to the right patch.

NB if you ask me the difference between a parody and the real stuff is just the intention, not the used instruments or patches.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Hi BertKoor

FM8
Massive
Firebird 2
Nightlife
ProtoPlasm-TS Pro

The problem with using a rompler is that I have no clue if I have the right samples that can actually do the job, so I plan to stick to the synth route. However, I do have the default sounds for Presence XT, which is one of the instruments that come with StudioOne 3 Professional by default.

And yes, I know that it's just the intention that is the difference, but that's the thing. It's because I take power metal seriously I actually wish to dive deep into the realm of power metal sound design (but I have a limited budget).

That being said, there is a chance of me purchasing PreSonus Symphonic Orchestra at the end of this month, so I'm not crossing off the rompler route just yet. It will depend on what I'm going to have available by then.

I will try to get Sytrus or Serum if I absolutely have to, but I am not certain if I can.

Thanks,
Joonho

Okay, I'm going to chime in again because there are some things that I really should've gotten across from the beginning.

I already know that several people in the other forums have suggested default Logic instruments. I mean, I don't disagree that I should try them, but at the same time, having to go back and forth between my Macbook's Logic and my ASUS's StudioOne is going to be very time-consuming and difficult because it will be really hard to imagine what the final track would sound like if I can't come up with both the guitars/basses/drums and the synths/keys all in the same DAW because having to go back and forth would mean that I would have to try and come up with all of the other instruments without being able to tell whether the synths/keys will actually work in the mix or not.

Most at this point would tell me to move all of the files to Logic, and to that I must say that Logic has its own problems when it comes to things like note inputting (the process feels really clunky compared to StudioOne), and there is also the VST vs AU problem because almost everything I use is VST except for, like, what, Thermionik?

I can already hear some folks telling me to just install StudioOne on my Macbook, and that has its own problems as well because most of the plugins I bought have DRM so I can't even install them on my Macbook at all.

Long story short, PC only please.

Oh, and another update. I could consider Mixcraft (and there was that other app that people mentioned which is an emulation of another old system) but the problem is that I don't need another DAW. I just need the synth instruments/patches to get the sounds I need in StudioOne. That's why I mentioned FM8 specifically because if I can get the necessary sounds through FM8 then I might as well do that but...

Thanks,
Joonho

In the first youtube video I hear something that I would describe as a rompler choir patch or choir samples. In the other examples I hear synth sounds with a lot of saw waves: synth strings or high played synth brass sounds. I agree that some kind of rompler would be the quickest road to success here.

Although I don't have personal experience with the synths you list, imho FM8 would be the least suited for this kind of sounds, being an FM synth. The others will probably do, Massive for sure.

Hi JorgV

I wouldn't knock FM8 just yet. In all of the videos I do hear there being at least one supersaw layer, and when it comes to supersaws, FM8 is definitely the best for the job, or that's how I find it anyway because of the way supersaws are originally structured. People know FM8 as an FM synth but they don't seem to understand that FM8 is just as viable as an additive synth. In fact, I use FM8 more often for additive synthesis than I do for FM.

I have thought of using Massive for the brass layer for a while but I didn't get around to doing so because I couldn't find a brass tutorial that would fit what I'm going for. I have found a good brass tutorial, but they're designed for the lows, and I need a layer that can fill the highs. I found satisfactory results with FireBird 2, but I feel there is more to the sound. I feel there should be a strings layer as well as a stab layer.

Again, I will not rule out the use of romplers completely but the problem is I have no clue where to begin with the path of using a rompler, so I will definitely need help with figuring out where to go. Do I find the samples of the patches from the said keyboards or something?

I can see where one can come from when one says that FM8 is not a good fit for the job because it's based off of FM7, which is supposed to emulate the Yamaha DX7, and I don't know if any power metal bands ever used the DX7 anyway.

Thanks,
Joonho

j_ahn3 wrote:Is this possible on FM8
Yes, of course.

https://youtu.be/XX8jDSbFidQ

Patch available on request. I think it's one of the 10 million DX7 patches from the web which I tweaked a bit.

Return to “Sound Design”