Shlohmo - Just Us Synth?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, does someone can help me with how to make chord synths, that shlohmo uses in his track "Just Us" at around 1:02?
To me it sounds like some combination of square wave and saw wave added a lot of reverb, but i'm not quite sure

Thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTv7Z5eLoNo

Not sure what you mean: But the sound starting at 1:02 sounds more like a acoustic guitar that's very muffled (lowpass/bandpass filtered). First a single note, then several (a chord) in a row. Like a finger going over individual snares.

Yes, that could sound like guitar, but im now quite sure youre entirely right. The sound sounds more like a synth, or guitar with a lot more effects than bandpass filtered and reverbed.

TimeToProduce wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:12 pm Yes, that could sound like guitar, but im now quite sure youre entirely right. The sound sounds more like a synth, or guitar with a lot more effects than bandpass filtered and reverbed.
That "hollow" space vibe is probably just EQ with a peak in the midrange. I don't think it's much more complicated then that.

TimeToProduce wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:12 pm Yes, that could sound like guitar, but im now quite sure youre entirely right. The sound sounds more like a synth, or guitar with a lot more effects than bandpass filtered and reverbed.
BTW guitarsounds can off course be synthesized too. FM synthesis is quite capable in emulating a convincing guitar. Or PWM for that matter. And each individual note could be sequenced. But Ockham's Razor says the simplest hypothesis/theory/explanation is often the correct one...

I think you're right.

Wouldn't you say then, that it is a guitar sound with short decay, 100% wet reverb, then bandpass EQ and then reverb again with long decay and big size? (please don't blame me for using incorrect terms for the effects)

First of all, no need to apologize for your "incorrect" terms. As long as it gets your message across....

Secondly, you seem pretty intruiged by this specific sound. Considering it is all just vibrating air particles. Isn't it intruiging what this can do to your emotions?

But yes, basically you're on to the recipe. Might be that what you perceive as a decay on the guitar is actually only a decay on the reverb. A "dry" attack, followed by a short pause before the early reflections and reverbtail kicks in. In any case it's not a delay with feedback (echo's fading out). And I guess it's not only EQ on the guitar. The reverb is also EQ-ed. The first is sort of mufled (by attenuation both high an low frequencies), the second is made to sound like an bit of an unnatural room (by emphasizing the midrange).

Return to “Sound Design”