What's your technique for loudness of different sub notes on sub lines

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dangayle wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:39 am I was just listening to the Tron Legacy soundtrack. Those guys mastered the art of combining digital + orchestral in a seamless manner. You might try finding information on how that was produced.
Dude...that is epic. I just now checked this thread because I've been looking for something and haven't returned to read the comments lately. That soundtrack is awesome! That's one of my new reference tracks.

I've actually done quite a bit of experimenting with different metering and yea...to REALLY nail that lush low end, I have to rely on my sub and reference at the end of the day. The loudness metering can get you in the ballpark if you have a busy track and you already have a sub note to gauge the apparent loudness for the rest of the notes. That is where the Youlean comes in the most handy. I still have to use my trusty bx_meter to make sure I've got the sub balanced with the rest of the track.

Like you guys have said...ears. Though I just can't do it without a sub and a pair of DT880 Pro's. Lol. Those are actually my go-to headphones for getting sub levels in check. It seems nothing else, in that price category comes close.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:41 am Check out FAW Sublab and their x-sub osc - it is excellent for sub bass. Then go read the sublab forums if you don’t want to buy sublab.
I have that plugin. It's fun to use. I agree the X-sub is like a basic bx_subsynth and RennBass built into the plugin.

I've gotten better results with bx_subsynth and MaxxBass after Kick2. Though, for a quick and dirty kick, Sublab is really decent sounding. It still needs work. The developer at first was all over updates and just like that...poof. Gone. Or, at least, he's not as active updating the plugin as he was when it first came out. I haven't gotten any news on updates in a while. I guess he needs time to count and spend the money he made before taking care of the feature requests.

I'm actually trying to find tips on how to manage sub lines in busy mixes, particularly orchestration. Going back to my last comment, it's almost like I have to anchor down the highest and lowest pitch sub sound to get the rest right. Hmmm.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

not checked yet, just sharing >> https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Produ ... d-Sub-Bass
Product Overview
Adam Pollard presents Low End and Sub-Bass tutorials! Learn how to produce and engineer proper low end and sub-bass for your tracks and productions, creating impact and power. These sub bass production videos are designed to help you create a great bottom end for your songs, giving them a fat, tight sound.

Adam welcomes you and first talks about the differences between Low End and Sub-Bass, then how to properly monitor the bass and make adjustments, helpful info on Pitch, Frequencies, and Harmonics, why layering bass isn't always a good idea, making bass a mono signal, adding reverb to bass and other topics related to the low end.

Next, Adam gets into tons of cool techniques like High Pass Filtering and ways to use it effectively but not destructively, creative ways to remove clicks from your tracks, using Sine Waves for bass, splitting your chords up and playing the lowest notes in unison for a higher sound, and much, much more.

To know what each low end sub-bass tutorial shows you and how they will assist you to mix your bass better, see the individual low end sub bass tutorial descriptions on this page. If your low end is suffering, this series of low end sub bass videos will get your bass right and tight... Watch “Producing & Engineering Low End/Sub-Bass” today.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

"Poof. Gone. Or, at least, he's not as active updating the plugin as he was when it first came out"

We're quietly working away on the update Mathematics and we've added a new developer to the team to help us get the bigger feature request completed. Way we work is that having gathered the requests, we then go into the development cycle of the features. If you've signed up for the beta keep an eye on your inbox :)

Return to “Sound Design”