Simple bass, yet difficult to achieve [Jerro]

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hola,

For the past month or so, I've been trying to recreate a certain sound using only software, but to no avail. It honestly sounds so simple that I'm almost ashamed to ask here.

It's the analog sounding bass on 2:35, really sounds like a heavily cutoff saw bass with a sine sub (speaking subtractive).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kei-P3q3Zg

As much as I try, it always lacks some oomph, never sounds quite right.
Any tips on creating simple sounding, non-aggressive bass patches?
Or tips on processing to add it more of that warmth without making it sound hash?

Thanks in advance.
V.

As with many "simple" sounds, to get it just right it is often a combination of factors. In terms of subtractive synthesis mainly oscillator shape(s) (and inherent resulting spectrum) and filter characteristics. Generally it becomes easier when less harmonics and less spectral dynamics are involved (as luckily with your example).

I'd say: try different oscillator/filter you have available in your synth(s). In this case probably need at least some saw like shape through a relative steep Low Pass filter (4-pole / 24 dB/oct). Also try different resonance levels on the first few harmonics. Sounds like a relative "clean" filter (no obvious noise, non lineairities, distortion). And it must really Pass the Low. Some LPF will really cut lows at higher resonance levels.

Off course there's also active and passive EQ etc to further shape the sound/spectrum.

Return to “Sound Design”