Synthesis sound design learning program

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a learning program / course on sound design with a synthesizer?
I already have learned technical aspects of this topic and I can create basic types of sounds(basses, leads, plucks etc.), but I'm still far from understanding and hearing the "components" of each sound and ability to recreate them. Is there any course on this topic?

Thanks

Ive never heard of a course but apart from practice, practice, practice youtube is FULL of tutorials. And in this thread there's tons of stuff.

can you elaborate on "components" of each sound?
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

I saw a professional at work, he was able to select an appropriate synth, synthesis type, enable/tune the relevant modules in the synth, that is what I call "components". In a matter of few minutes he was able to recreate the exact sound.
Of course I can just randomly choose a tutorial and follow it to create some sound, but I'm trying to find a more organized way to learn this topic.

you need to learn the physics of instruments in relation to sound design.
such as harmonics and wave shape being the basis for a given sound.
(typically a square will give a pipe like sound, suitable for flute, for example).

not sure of any specific courses, i did it as a unit in a full music and tech course.

Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

You could just use a combination of Wikipedia and YouTube. Follow the links that Wiki provides and you'll soon find plenty to research.

Synth manuals should also be a big help to understanding specifics as well as the basics.

if there's a specific area of synthesis you would like to focus on first, mention it here, maybe even start a new thread and I'm sure a lot of folks here will chime in
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

CHOOS wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:58 am if there's a specific area of synthesis you would like to focus on first, mention it here, maybe even start a new thread and I'm sure a lot of folks here will chime in
Best and most logical idea.

Then others can learn with you.

It was a long Way from J M Jarre to Squarepusher and Aphex Twin. I fear that it really twisted our Reception of Sound in the End. So ... welcome to the World of Sound Design. Some People even synthesize Farts!°

Looking for a more "organized" Way will lead you back to the Beginning and the simple Question what your Targets are.
The more excact your Definition is, the higher is the Chance to find relevant Informations. You are maybe not the first one to ask himself how the "Streets of Philadelphia" Pad was made or why the "The greatest Love of all" E-Piano is so hard to find.

I assume that many People also don´t want to tell their Tricks and Methods, while the ones who write have nothing better to do.?

But anyway: there is lots of Literature on the technical Aspects. SOS e. g. has some nice Tuts https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets

And at the End of the Day we´ll all have to face, that nobody can really Explain the World!

Part of what you seem to be asking for is ear training - understanding how a sound is made with regards to a synth's features and controls. Whether you are creating sounds or watching tutorials, you need to build up a knowledge base for yourself that can then be used to create or recreate sounds that you hear.
Can you identify a sine wave played at E4 (or near E4)? How about a triangle wave, saw or square? What makes them different?
What happens if you add more notes? Keep at it until you really know the basics waves.
Then move on to envelopes and what they do to each basic sound. Learn the fundamentals of ADSR.
Filtering is commonly used to shape the sound, so that would probably be another place to focus on. Learn the types and uses and how movement affects them.
These are all basic ideas that are understood in Subtractive Synthesis and many synths use that type of synthesis, so it would be easy to practice.
Once you train your ears to identify those basic ideas, you can apply the techniques to other kinds of synthesis, modulation, effects, etc. It is a never ending journey. Keep at it and good luck.

I guess in order to find some tutorials, you need to know the name of what you're searching for.

Some ideas:
Acid, hoover, squelch, stab, wobble, thrill, drone, texture, shimmer, string, trancegate, tube bass. This just from a top of my head.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

mladi wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:19 pm https://www.syntorial.com/

Syntorial maybe?
^ This

Syntorial is a fantastic way to develop your ear and build a foundation when it comes to synthesis and patch creation. The fact that it's hands-on and touches on all the common properties of subtractive synths would definitely help you out a bunch.

Syntorial looks great. Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “Sound Design”