Very long Reverb Delay

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am testing Spire atm and I like the build in reverb. It has a very long reverb delay which also fades warmt and smooth into the sound. I was trying to make it with my reverb plugins (Ableton reverb, Ultraverb) but they dont have that long delay time like Spires reverb. Is there a way to achieve a longer reverb delay with my plugins or do someone know a plugin which can do it?

Spire's reverb is very clean and bright. UltraReverb in contrast is a very dark reverb, so I would really not recommend using that one for replicating Spire's reverb.

I had good results getting a remotely similar tone out of NI Raum, if you have that. Or, if you want to use the Ableton reverb (I'm not familiar with that one), try to EQ to make it sound more similar. I really think what you describe as not as long decay times is a matter of the brightness of Spire's reverb. UltraReverb allows decay times up to a 100 seconds, for example, which is plenty. I think your issue is to make the tail as bright and clean as in Spire's reverb. Therefor it's best to use a reverb with a clean and bright tail.

In general, I find it very hard to match different reverbs though... I rarely had any luck there. Maybe you're more fortunate.

Hey, thx for your reply. What I mean with the delay time of Spires reverb is the time before the reverb kicks in. You have for example a lead sound and it takes some time before the delay kicks in, which sounds really nice to me. You are right with Ultraverb and its sounding. I will check out NI Raum.

Do you mean the pre-delay?

Yes :)

Alright. :) Then I know exactly what you mean. On some reverbs, when you set some pre-delay, the reverb will fade in as with a slow envelope, while on Spire's reverb (and some others), the reverb fades in rather rapidly/punchy, which makes for a nice effect. And, I totally agree that that is not possible in UltraReverb. Not sure why some reverbs have such a slow/mushy fade in.

You should be able to do that with most concert hall algorithms.

Oril River? 20 seconds reverb and pre up to 200
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

You don't need a built-in pre-delay, just put the reverb on a bus and add a 100% wet delay with 0 feedback before it. Works with any reverb.

To think "outside the box"...

You could delay the signal before in goes into the Reverb....

A free option:

Voxengo - Simple Sound Delay
(delays any incoming signal up to 3 seconds, delay set in time or samples)
https://www.voxengo.com/product/sounddelay/
https://www.voxengo.com/product/sounddelay/features/

Check out the Valhall DSP super massive, recently released and free (they have amazing paid for verbs also) but yeah supermassive is epic and will do huge awesome sounding tails.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/val ... ermassive/

Delays before reverb (or even after reverb) work as well - I always make sure to get some careful EQs in there as well, espcially in a full track context, to make sure the verbs/delays arent muddying things up too much

Return to “Sound Design”