Binary Finary - 1998 breathing pluck sound?

How to make that sound...
KVRAF
2060 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Sat May 08, 2021 10:01 am

9b0 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:26 pm
juno987654321 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:21 am
9b0 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:17 am
It's an 'Ah' sample basically with some filtering + reverb.

If you want to reach something similar with synths, you'll need a formant filter + white noise + several oscillators.
Yes, want to reach something similar with synths.
Let's make it a 100% synth based, then!
It'd be great if you could help me improve this patch I just made. You seem to know something about it. How do I get the formant filter to stay more constant in its quality on each note? I already applied key tracking but it doesn't seem enough... That's the most urgent thing that still cries for some more fine tuning here, I guess. :tu:
I don't know what synth you're using, the file is just a .fxp file, but my guess would be that I don't have that plugin anyways. :D (EDIT: I see now, you're using Serum... my guess was right, I'm not a Serum user)

I'm really more into modular stuff, and I can't imagine a fixed architecture that would suit this sound well, but something that gets close to this sound should be doable, even if sampling is the most efficient for these sounds.

I was trying to build something similar quickly, here's what the patch looks like and sounds like (sorry I'm not the greatest keyboard player of all time, but this shows the idea):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jdvc6hmwjqfm ... k.mp4?dl=1

The main oscillator is a triangle, and I mix a saw to it, and also some noise (with a 4p hi-pass filter on it to remove low frequencies). These signals get mixed together and go into 3 parallel keyboard-tracked State Variable bandpass filters (basically this is a formant filter). The output of the 3 filters is getting mixed together in the mixer, and I round down the hi-frequency content with a 1-pole lowpass filter and send the whole sound into a resonant State Variable lowpass with a sharp envelope. In the end, I take care of the volume envelope and add some reverb to the track.
What vst synth can I use to replicate this recipe in?

KVRist
350 posts since 4 Dec, 2019

Post Sat May 08, 2021 11:16 am

Modular synths (here: "Alpha Forever") or synths that allow you to define the bandwidth values for the 3-5 formants on a formant filter in more detail (but there are also free effect plugins for this).
Still, it was also possible to get some good approximation in Serum, e. g. It took me a while to do the fine tuning, though.
The background noise, however, has remained somewhat mysterious to me, especially in its details, and it seems yet unsolved to some extent how to fully replicate that.
Nothing can be better than liberty and free time to spend as you choose. Don't let those modern slaveholders ruin your life!

Return to “Sound Design”