How can I process to create a similar sound to these tracks?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apart from just having some great tracks mixed well....
Can anybody offer suggestions toward creating the husky vibe on this album.

I can create the general sound with Repro or my hardware Odyssey, but there is a retro fuzzy lo-fi vibe to the sound. I have tried a few lo-fi plugins + EQ and compression but I just can't get there.
For those that have mastered this... any suggestions with processing?

https://midwestcollective.bandcamp.com/album/odyssey

Track - Resonance as a good example

definitely some sort of tape, not sure ive heard a tape plugin yet that sounds so soft around the edges, as they and boc manage.
i think it's also in the melodies, they're very similar to those tv stings the radiohonic orchestra used to do, almost cheesy but not quite, and there's a sense of nostalgia in them.

simple sounds too, and it sounds "live" as if there's people doing stuff while a tape is recording, rather than doing stuff then pressing play :)

nice find :tu: id not heard them before.

vurt wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm definitely some sort of tape, not sure ive heard a tape plugin yet that sounds so soft around the edges, as they and boc manage.
i think it's also in the melodies, they're very similar to those tv stings the radiohonic orchestra used to do, almost cheesy but not quite, and there's a sense of nostalgia in them.

simple sounds too, and it sounds "live" as if there's people doing stuff while a tape is recording, rather than doing stuff then pressing play :)

Thanks for the reply.
Nostalgia is actually a good description of the sound. I had a play around using Logic's amp/bass modeller and that definitely took it closer to the sound. Not sure about Lo-Fi plugins as that has a particular sound effect, although using it subtly with the right spring reverb may work. Not to get into the hardware/software debate but it could also come from the character of a particular vintage analog poly synth?

Have a GO WITH THIS;

https://aberrantdsp.com/plugins/sketchcassette/

Really good at emulating ye olde cassette type of sound.

Another thing to try is the old pre-emphasis/de-emphasis trick to round off the edges on tracks. Add an EQ and really wind up the treble, then add your tape/tube plug-in, then finally another eq with the reverse amount of treble cut to the original boost. That way you're really saturating just the high frequency content, and softening it a lot.

donkey tugger wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 am Have a GO WITH THIS;

https://aberrantdsp.com/plugins/sketchcassette/

Really good at emulating ye olde cassette type of sound.

Another thing to try is the old pre-emphasis/de-emphasis trick to round off the edges on tracks. Add an EQ and really wind up the treble, then add your tape/tube plug-in, then finally another eq with the reverse amount of treble cut to the original boost. That way you're really saturating just the high frequency content, and softening it a lot.
Thanks, I'll give both suggestions a go.
Another thought is that the tracks are actually being recorded to tape first. From my experience with an old Fostex 4-track recorder, some years ago, there's nothing quite like it for character. I was happy to move onto a DAW for ease of use, but now realise there was some magic to the Fostex that I liked and is sought after now in some genres. I just might go and have a browse on eBay ;)

If you can post what you have because it's hard to know what the difference is.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

CHOOS wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:26 am If you can post what you have because it's hard to know what the difference is.
I'm at the stage that I want to experiment a bit more with the suggestions above and other ideas first.
I'll try and get something up at some point though.

Cool!
whenever you have something you're mostly happy with post your results and we can chime in with some tips.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

https://plugins4free.com/effects/Tube-Tape/
(3 pages of free tape simulators, one of them may do the trick?)

A more recent one:
https://www.caelumaudio.com/CaelumAudio ... eCassette2

I'd like to know what you think of these if you'd like to test them.
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

juno987654321 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:41 pm https://plugins4free.com/effects/Tube-Tape/
(3 pages of free tape simulators, one of them may do the trick?)

A more recent one:
https://www.caelumaudio.com/CaelumAudio ... eCassette2

I'd like to know what you think of these if you'd like to test them.
Thanks for the links, I'll give them a test drive.

Hemmick Reef wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 am
vurt wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm definitely some sort of tape, not sure ive heard a tape plugin yet that sounds so soft around the edges, as they and boc manage.

Thanks for the reply.
Nostalgia is actually a good description of the sound. I had a play around using Logic's amp/bass modeller and that definitely took it closer to the sound. Not sure about Lo-Fi plugins as that has a particular sound effect, although using it subtly with the right spring reverb may work. Not to get into the hardware/software debate but it could also come from the character of a particular vintage analog poly synth?
don't know if id go so far as particular synth, but there's definitely something in the sound design.
it's very simple, clear sounds, with very few things happening at once, not overcrowded.

some good hints from donks on getting the softness around the edges, that's what ive found hard so ill be giving that a go.
there are many tape emus, that add the wobbles and machine noises (reels is my current fave from audiothing) but as i say, hadn't managed the softening myself.

vurt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:28 am
Hemmick Reef wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 am

Thanks for the reply.
don't know if id go so far as particular synth, but there's definitely something in the sound design.
it's very simple, clear sounds, with very few things happening at once, not overcrowded.

some good hints from donks on getting the softness around the edges, that's what ive found hard so ill be giving that a go.
there are many tape emus, that add the wobbles and machine noises (reels is my current fave from audiothing) but as i say, hadn't managed the softening myself.
Try this bugger;

https://senderspike.wordpress.com/2019/ ... -recorder/

It has the record and repro knobs, so you can wind up the HF on the record, then do the same decrease on the repro. Saves arseing about, and it's a great little low CPU plug-in too.

cheers
ill have a look at it later :tu:

senderspike worked great for me as well in the past

Return to “Sound Design”