jean michel jarre - oxygene IV lead synth... how to??

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Armadillo wrote:Why would anyone wanna sound exactly like a 20 year old JMJ track anyway? :shrug:
How about coming up with your own sounds and own melodies.
I suppose it could be very educational, trying to approximate a sound ( both, in terms of learning synthesis and learning the ins and outs of your chosen VSTi). Especially now, in the age of the presets.

Maybe there should be a KvR competition doing exactly this. Choose a classic electronic track and try to get the sound using VSTIs ? Could be very interesting.

Being a fan of early JMJ, I really like some of the sounds in the clips above. Well done !
Maybe the KvR commercial sound designers could help here ?

Nax wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:You might be interested in this then: :D

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dant/ ... inoxe5.mp3
Very nice! :D

By the way, can you tell how many patches are in this clip? There's a bass and a lead and probably a third one with a pitch modulation? This is my favorite Jarre sound: clip
Sure, it was made up something like this:

Lead - Oddity, slightly tweaked preset.
Harmony - Oddity, same patch as lead.
Bass - Oddity, gorgeous ARP bass preset. :love:
Blips - PolyIblit.
Horns - Oddity.
Second Lead / Arpeggios - CronoX 2

The sound used for the second lead is inaccurate. It needs to be more vocal and breathy. Also the snare is wrong; I may fix this if I get bored with everything else I'm working on. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback by the way.
Analogue or digital – which is better? There's only one way to find out... FI-I-IGHT!!!

Danny Darko wrote:
dudley wrote:That is awesome mate absolutely brilliant..

I wish I could play like that..

Top marks.. :D
Cheers dudley. You might be interested in this then: :D

jasonf - I would seriously recommend getting Oddity; even if it means flogging one of your other plugins. Oddity seems to nail the ARP sound; no would-be Jarre should be without it.

one of my all time fav synth songs, you got me beat 1000 times dudue...i never tried to reproduce anything, and i probablay couldn't, but you even got got those little blippy slides in the bass line...good job ....

rg
KVR: come for the music, stay for the polemics and grammar lessons...

Meffy wrote:Armadillo, how does that help answer the original poster's question? How about accepting that someone does in fact want to sound like a 20-year-old JMJ track and work from there? (As someone else has already done with good results, apparently.)

If someone asked on an sports car enthusiasts' forum for help restoring their 1960s classic, would the following be a valid or useful answer?

"Why would anyone wanna drive a 40-year-old convertible MGB anyway? How about driving your own car on your own roads."

If you happen not to want to recreate sounds from the not-that-distant past, fine. That's you. But what purpose does it serve to tell someone else that they shouldn't want to do so? No purpose. None at all.

... unless they ask how to get that "Cher" sound, of course. That's always fair game. ;-)
Well, why not drive your own car ??

Like a Caterham 7?

link for oddity? (it is a softsynth yes?? im poor ;) )

and actually i want to make it 1) for performance reasons im just learning how to play the keyboard. 2) because its not so easy 3) because i love the sound... i dont wanna do it for use in my own songs... duh... sorry but you need to get a life some of you.

thanx again for helping :D

jasonf wrote:link for oddity? (it is a softsynth yes?? im poor ;) )

and actually i want to make it 1) for performance reasons im just learning how to play the keyboard. 2) because its not so easy 3) because i love the sound... i dont wanna do it for use in my own songs... duh... sorry but you need to get a life some of you.

No problem, JasonF Michel Jarre

Now thats impressive !!! Congrats.
The only thing that doesnt cut it is the lead starting 1'15, to me (too "thin"...), and also (a bit) the sustain of the main theme chords.

Danny Darko wrote: Cheers dudley. You might be interested in this then: :D

jasonf - I would seriously recommend getting Oddity; even if it means flogging one of your other plugins. Oddity seems to nail the ARP sound; no would-be Jarre should be without it.

the secret to sound like jarre is.. to finish your tune by a train noise :)

This is the last part of a mix between oxygen something and the great giana sisters theme (not included). Note that the background synths didn't sound like anything useful until put together.

http://www.flstudio.com/gol/oxygen%20whatever.mp3

I don't think you're really going to get near the sound with vsti's..... the origional sounded so good because of the raw analg sound. I don't want to start a vsti vs hardware war here, but all the examples sound good... but sound way too digital. No grit or warmth, but top job on the programming efforts though.

I built a phaser based on the JMJ one used on these tracks, it's made by Oakley synth's and called the Equinox. It's the phaser that gives the pads that sound which really carry the track. I just think vsti's sound too digital at the moment.

lion_cub wrote:
jasonf wrote:link for oddity? (it is a softsynth yes?? im poor ;) )

No problem, JasonF Michel Jarre

......... no thank you ..............

Being a fan of early JMJ, I really like some of the sounds in the clips above. Well done !
Maybe the KvR commercial sound designers could help here ?

i guess not given the fact they are commercial :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

no offense but if there's something his original also sounded like, it's extremely noisy. There's still lots of hiss behind the remastered tracks. I'd take digital versions over the hardware ones, and if they don't sound the same, it's simply because it's very hard to reproduce a sound, using another hardware or another software it doesn't matter.

edit
Kind regards, Nick at ArtsAcoustic

Nax wrote: This is my favorite Jarre sound: clip
;) worked hard on that one .... hehe ... glad you like it!

reg,
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Which brings me back to my reply too. It isn't only the synth but also the effects. Which is something I learned a long time ago when I had all my analog synths.

Well, if you can't afford an Oakley, check out the Small Stone from EH.

Also, if you can't afford anything... check out the Classic Phaser from Kjaerhus.

Spaceman Sounds wrote:I don't think you're really going to get near the sound with vsti's..... the origional sounded so good because of the raw analg sound. I don't want to start a vsti vs hardware war here, but all the examples sound good... but sound way too digital. No grit or warmth, but top job on the programming efforts though.

I built a phaser based on the JMJ one used on these tracks, it's made by Oakley synth's and called the Equinox. It's the phaser that gives the pads that sound which really carry the track. I just think vsti's sound too digital at the moment.

Return to “Sound Design”