Roland MC-707 & 101 Grooveboxes

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
stash98
KVRian
773 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from tittyland

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:52 am

electro wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:51 am
What is the best MC-707 tutorial/overview of the featureset?
Loopop has a nice one.

LilErichZahn1972
KVRer
19 posts since 1 Mar, 2009

Re: Roland MC-707 & 101 Grooveboxes

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:49 pm

FYI

I tested the project compatibility between the MC-707 and MC-101.

Obviously, the MC-707 will read the MC-101's projects. But surprisingly enough, the MC-101 will not only read the MC-707's projects but does not seem to loose anything upon saving again. Obviously, you are limited to the first 4 tracks, first 8 scenes on the MC-101. But you will still save everything to be loaded back on the MC-707. They make great companions.

Now, as reported, the sound editing on the MC-101 is quite limited. Which is not the case on the MC-707. Well, whatever sound editing saved on the MC-707 will be loaded and applied on the MC-101. This means that the full sound engine is there, it just doesn't have the sound editing capability on the device itself.

Not only are they great groovebox, they can be very good sound modules. Unfortunately, program changes, according to the midi implementation chart, is not an option here.

Hopefully this helps ;)

Langur
KVRer
22 posts since 16 Aug, 2019

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:59 am

LilErichZahn1972 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:49 pm
FYI

I tested the project compatibility between the MC-707 and MC-101.

Obviously, the MC-707 will read the MC-101's projects. But surprisingly enough, the MC-101 will not only read the MC-707's projects but does not seem to loose anything upon saving again. Obviously, you are limited to the first 4 tracks, first 8 scenes on the MC-101. But you will still save everything to be loaded back on the MC-707. They make great companions.

Now, as reported, the sound editing on the MC-101 is quite limited. Which is not the case on the MC-707. Well, whatever sound editing saved on the MC-707 will be loaded and applied on the MC-101. This means that the full sound engine is there, it just doesn't have the sound editing capability on the device itself.

Not only are they great groovebox, they can be very good sound modules. Unfortunately, program changes, according to the midi implementation chart, is not an option here.

Hopefully this helps ;)
great review.
Thanks.
I am considering a MC101 to use mostly as a synth looper and multifx as a companion of Akai Mpc.
I just need to know how is the quality of the Reverb (compared to a Boss RV500) and if the electric pianos and mallets are good and realistic.

rob_lee
KVRAF
7885 posts since 16 Oct, 2006

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:35 am

LilErichZahn1972 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:49 pm
Unfortunately, program changes, according to the midi implementation chart, is not an option here.
This is the one thing that really pisses me off.. Was trying to do program changes from the Mpc X until I read the chart.. Grrr :x :x :x

JCJR
KVRAF
2906 posts since 17 Apr, 2005 from S.E. TN

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Well, I noticed on my FA06 that the silly thang has so many thousands factory and user patch locations that doing a remote patch selection would be bank select lsb/msb/prg hell. Just figuring out what the heck bank lsb, msb, and program change equates to that one patch you wanted to select out of thousands.

Actually I don't recall details but as best I recall there were even more lsb/msb/prg pairs for all those multi-patch sequence/song locations which can also theoretically be called up via MIDI if you have the patience to figure out the magic numbers.

The FA06 midi implementation is rather long and detailed because of that, and I think there was always a law that midi implementation sheets must be written as confusing and arbitrary possible. :)

I'm not apologizing for Roland. Just thinking that if these neat-seeming beat boxes have as many thousands of patches as FA, then maybe Roland figured out that hardly any of their customers ever bothered with the headache on the FA and so why bother implementing the mess if hardly any of the customers have a big enough brain to use it? :)

stash98
KVRian
773 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from tittyland

Post Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:50 pm

The 707 is quite deep. I am very impressed with mine. Probably better for those who like like retro styles and enjoy sounds like from the jd800, but if you like that and the juno/jupiter sound, its a powerhouse. Not too hard to build synth parts from scratch either.

D-Fusion
KVRAF
3515 posts since 13 Jul, 2004 from Earth

Post Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:05 am

JCJR wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Well, I noticed on my FA06 that the silly thang has so many thousands factory and user patch locations that doing a remote patch selection would be bank select lsb/msb/prg hell. Just figuring out what the heck bank lsb, msb, and program change equates to that one patch you wanted to select out of thousands.

Actually I don't recall details but as best I recall there were even more lsb/msb/prg pairs for all those multi-patch sequence/song locations which can also theoretically be called up via MIDI if you have the patience to figure out the magic numbers.

The FA06 midi implementation is rather long and detailed because of that, and I think there was always a law that midi implementation sheets must be written as confusing and arbitrary possible. :)

I'm not apologizing for Roland. Just thinking that if these neat-seeming beat boxes have as many thousands of patches as FA, then maybe Roland figured out that hardly any of their customers ever bothered with the headache on the FA and so why bother implementing the mess if hardly any of the customers have a big enough brain to use it? :)
Well the integra has program change too and that one has 3 times more sounds than the FA or double the amount of the Mc 101/707.
The X/XM does also have program change built in so why did'nt they do this on the MC's?

I love my MC 101 as a sound module but i am afraid of wearing out the Value knob over time and making a patch script would made me feel allot safer.

Leichenschmaus
KVRist
215 posts since 1 Oct, 2014

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:02 pm

Great update to 1.3!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”