Do You Love Your MIDI Controller?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Curtismech
KVRer
22 posts since 18 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:42 pm

M-Audio Oxygen 8....don't really LOVE it, but it suits my purposes okay; gets the job done....

hcv242
KVRian
688 posts since 8 Feb, 2005

Re: Do You Love Your MIDI Controller?

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:12 am

A list of what i own:

Icon qcon pro G2 - mackie surface controller
Icon qcon pro G2 Extender
Ableton Push
Kordbot
Novation LaunchControl XT
Xone K2
Native instruments Kore
Novation X-Station
M-Audio Evolution
Behringer BCR 2000
Phatboy

And then there is other stuff that are not sold as midi controllers but that can be used as midi controllers:

Waldorf blofeld - this works better as a midi controller than as a synth
Access Virus TI2 - another great midi controller because it has lots of knobs
Access Virus B - great once again
Roland System 1M - lots of knobs great for controlling the roland vstis
Roland TR-8S - great to midi control vst drum machines
Korg Zero 8 Mixer - this thing is the best midi controller if you want to map a vst mixer, it has hundreds of knobs

Im forgetting some for sure, these are the ones i can see here now in my studio.

I can’t say what my favorites are, but i guess that in terms of integration the ableton push and the icon qcon pro g2 are great because there is no need to map or midi learn anything.
Last edited by hcv242 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

chk071
KVRAF
24719 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:49 am

After getting rid of my mini keyboards from Arturia and NI (really, having several keyboards just led to one of them catching dust in a corner somewhere...), I must say I'm really content with my Novation Impulse 49. With the mini keyboards, I also always felt limited by the 2 or 2 1/2 octaves. Having 4 ocatves is good, more would be even better, but, I would really run out of room. So, yeah, quite happy with my Impulse, not sure if I "love" it though. :)
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

IncarnateX
KVRAF
3948 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:14 am

Do I love my Arturia Keystep? I certainly like this vacation- and small table friendly controller with aftertouch for my Reason 11. However, I think I am going to love the Nektar Panorama P4 I just bought 5 minutes ago. I want a studio-friendly controller as well and embody Reason even more.

chk071
KVRAF
24719 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 am

The keys on the Keystep are pretty damn good for such a low tier keyboard. I loved the keys on my MiniLab mk2 (same keys as on the Keystep).
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

SLiC
KVRAF
5287 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:35 am

Nektar Panorama P6 user here on my studio desk. Its good all around controller, nice bed and after touch, I have had it had it for 3 or 4 years and it does everything I need, my only complaint is that its white and has no real integration with Live, but great for Bitwig, Cubase and Studio One (and obviusly Reason) and also a good hardware controller! I also have an Oxygen 88 as my 'piano' controller in a different part of my studio, again, never felt the need for anything else.
Win 10 PC+ Surface with an X32 Desk, BWS, Live and Studio One, Hardware Synths + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

WasteLand
KVRian
842 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:18 am

love is a great word, but i have the Obsessive Tactile Controller Syndrome... so now i can sum up what i have..... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

- novation sl 49 mk ii (plays great)
- novation zero sl mk ii (both i use with automap)
- novation remote 49sl compact (second keyboard, function differs, mostly now a back-up keyboard)
- roli seaboard block + roli lightpad M
- arturia creative drum machine (the CDM, for arturia spark 2, dedicated, great!)
- nektar panorama p1
- Mackie MCU (2003 version)
- ableton push 2
- maschine mk3
- maschine jam
- behringer fcb-1010
- behringer bcr-2000 (not used at this moment, i will never part, is great for some setups.)

an arturia minilab mkii for my secondary (laptop) studio. (secondary studio, ahum..)

i like them all, the amount of control that is given!!!
win 10 pro; cubase 10.5 pro, live 10 suite+push 2, reaper, reason 11 suite, bitwig studio 3, maschine mk3+jam, arturia V collection 7, korg collection, komplete 11 ultimate, softube modular, VM, meldaproduction etc.
https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

BERFAB
KVRAF
6254 posts since 25 Mar, 2004

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:11 am

I played an Ensoniq KS-32 76 key weighted board for almost 20 years before I upgraded to the 2nd gen NI S88 controller when it first came out. Depending on the piano plug I use, the S88 gets pretty close to a real piano playing experience. [Even better that it never gets out of tune and I have more control over the dynamics and tone.]

The only thing that took some getting used to was ribbon controllers instead of wheels. Now, of course, I think it would be nice to get the latest gen (3rd version?) of the S88, which includes screen access to NKS instruments, etc., although it's not essential for me. But it would be nice.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

rod_zero
KVRAF
3085 posts since 28 Jan, 2011 from MEXICO

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 am

I also like my system 8 as a controller, Diva Maps quite well (except some of the oscillators), it obviously controls quite well the roland plugouts, but also many susbtractive synth.
dedication to flying

AaronBalakay
KVRer
15 posts since 5 Jul, 2020

Post Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:18 am

Novation Impulse 25 - Needs to be painted blue and thrown in the ocean asap

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
1909 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:22 am

AaronBalakay wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:18 am
Novation Impulse 25 - Needs to be painted blue and thrown in the ocean asap
Whoa there, do you really want a whale choking to death on it?

mamakin88
KVRer
6 posts since 8 Jul, 2020

Post Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:27 pm

Be careful with buying 2nd Midi controller, some look like new but have funky velocity and thus unusable. Just my $0.02

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
4423 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:34 am

Also be carful buying new cheap. The same problem might arise...
Just be careful and test before you buy...

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
16279 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:38 am

ROLI Rise 49. Best instrument I’ve ever owned :tu:

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
1909 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:45 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:34 am
Be careful and test before you buy...
It's really hard to test these things even if you're lucky enough to have a store in your town with it on display.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”