Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

incubus wrote:Maybe I'm way off, but I think that with the variax, it is powered via line 6 pedals. Not really sure about that.
It depends on the models Helix will power the variax some others won't.

Here's my take on the Yamaha Variax.

Before Yamaha aquired Line 6 the quality of the sounds were...better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfX70Ib76Dg

The current firmware while having a little more punch also has some...aliasing. Though they do handle palm muting and warble much better.

I hate the magnetic pups. And I find it funny because I've had pacifica's before where I did like the pups. I think it sounds like a bargain basement squier strat copy. I knew that before purchase and accepted it because I wanted the variax tones and wasn't concerned with the pups.

I love the neck. Which is odd for me to say as I prefer a radius. The setup has never needed adjustment since I purchased it. I actually hate the neck / setup on the JTV 69 and 59 never tried the 89.

The hollow bodies will never replace my old ones. Sorry, there is something about sympathetic resonance that is lost on the variax.

And my usual garb about why can't they introduce newer modeled. It seems they've had the same guitar models since inception.

About the 6 hours. Yep I can get 6 hours out of play on mine if I make sure the battery is fully charged and stick to solid body guitars without 12 string or altered tuning.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:
incubus wrote:Maybe I'm way off, but I think that with the variax, it is powered via line 6 pedals. Not really sure about that.
It depends on the models Helix will power the variax some others won't.

Here's my take on the Yamaha Variax.

Before Yamaha aquired Line 6 the quality of the sounds were...better.

The current firmware while having a little more punch also has some...aliasing. Though they do handle palm muting and warble much better.

I hate the magnetic pups. And I find it funny because I've had pacifica's before where I did like the pups. I think it sounds like a bargain basement squier strat copy. I knew that before purchase and accepted it because I wanted the variax tones and wasn't concerned with the pups.

I love the neck. Which is odd for me to say as I prefer a radius. The setup has never needed adjustment since I purchased it. I actually hate the neck / setup on the JTV 69 and 59 never tried the 89.

The hollow bodies will never replace my old ones. Sorry, there is something about sympathetic resonance that is lost on the variax.

And my usual garb about why can't they introduce newer modeled. It seems they've had the same guitar models since inception.

About the 6 hours. Yep I can get 6 hours out of play on mine if I make sure the battery is fully charged and stick to solid body guitars without 12 string or altered tuning.
Interesting stuff, cheers. The last bit probably explains it then; being an indie jangle bastard, I've been using the 12 string stuff loads. Still hasn't turned me into Johnny Marr. :cry:

donkey tugger wrote: Still hasn't turned me into Johnny Marr. :cry:
I think that model costs a lot more :lol:
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

incubus wrote:@ Reverend: I've only been able to play one once, seemed like a very well made guitar. IIRC, the neck heal was too big for me personally (that's why I like superstrats, much of the time I can easily reach the higher frets)
Yes. Doesn't bother me that much, but I definitely prefer a smoother heel. I have an old neck thru bass that effectively has none, always a pleasure to hit those high notes on it.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
I think that model costs a lot marr :lol:
Fixed :D

incubus wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
truly

:hihi:
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:
incubus wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
truly

:hihi:
This is the kind of wit keyboard players can only aspire to. :hihi:

Multicellular wrote:
incubus wrote:@ Reverend: I've only been able to play one once, seemed like a very well made guitar. IIRC, the neck heal was too big for me personally (that's why I like superstrats, much of the time I can easily reach the higher frets)
Yes. Doesn't bother me that much, but I definitely prefer a smoother heel. I have an old neck thru bass that effectively has none, always a pleasure to hit those high notes on it.
I have two guitars that are neck thru, my ESP and my Daion both are a joy to play. My Warmoth has and angled heel which is very nice and my Ibanez has the Ibanez cut on the back which is nice as well...both are good but the neck thrus are still imo better :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

https://reverb.com/au/item/6480448-paul ... 4G1A&pla=1

This one is as fast as a McLaren, and even cheaper hehe

nix808 wrote:https://reverb.com/au/item/6480448-paul ... 4G1A&pla=1

This one is as fast as a McLaren, and even cheaper hehe
Indeed! ---> http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41742785

+$200 Shipping... tsk tsk...

I would demand $5000 shipping for that one

I'm a sucker for a tight heel- my Gibson is an LP, LTD has it's small cutaway, RG has Ibanez curve.
But my player, a fake mx220 is terrible for reach

Was it here that I learnt that bolt on is actually best for sustain, according to what sounded like a scientific enough test?

..sold one of these the other day on reverb.com for $100, AXL Marquee SRO in Lake Placid Blue:

...looks like they're over $200 on amazon today. i paid around $115. so, this wasn't terrible on my end; not great; but not as bad as some turnovers.

when i was jamming with the guitar one last time before packing, the thought struck, 'this here is really all i need'... it's actually a pretty good guitar... probably even worth the $200+ amazon is asking today. the pickups sound really good, and the guitar plays fairly well...

anyway, just wanted an excuse to bumpity-bump this thread back up to the top...

Dammit I need money for too many other things first.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Suhr guitars look very good

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”