Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@justin3am

You could always put some money into that epi and possibly wind up with a better
setup than a new $1200 guitar. Otherwise, I would get the strat or the variax myself.
The strat is just a completely different animal coming from a les paul, so light, thin
and easy to play. The variax (from my understanding) can do cool stuff in the digital
domain, which might be fun. Although, personally I have not a been a big fan of
line 6 gear. *Although, reportedly they have gotten much better since the old days.

I have put some new pick-ups in the Les Paul, installed new electronics and better shielding. I had it setup a last year but it just doesn't play that well. It was my first guitar and it was a really cheap/basic model. It was fine when I was just using it to make noise but now that I actually try to play it, I just wish I had something I didn't have to fight against.

I didn't know what I was looking for at the time and if I'm honest, I can only barely tell the difference between a nice guitar and a passable one. But some of the guitars I've played recently just feel easier to play. I tend to like the sound of HSS strats and Telecasters with a single coil and a humbucker. I have friends at Line6, so that may contribute to my decision.

Then there is also the fact that I use bow a lot when using the guitar for sound design. I thought that a Sustainer or Sustainiac loaded guitar could be a lot of fun for that kind of thing.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:03 am Just get the bloody Variax and an ebow. The others may be nice enough, but can they do a banjo tuned down to low G baritone? My neighbours love it.
I've got an ebow and a TC Aeon. :)
Yeah, I'm pretty into the idea of being able to mess with the guitar models. But I understand that it's easier to sustain more than one string at a time with the Sustainer type systems. I've developed a technique for playing adjacent stings with the Aeon but it's not easy.

You have a Variax, right? I've always liked the sound of the guitar parts in your music. Do you have any recordings with some of the more left-field configurations?
I like the idea of being able to store models and tunings with presets in the HD500. If I can get a good deal on one, I may just get a Variax and a basic Strat or Tele, and then build out the more basic guitar...

pekbro wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:16 am Although, personally I have not a been a big fan of
line 6 gear. *Although, reportedly they have gotten much better since the old days.
They're owned by Yamaha these days, and I've never had any bother with the Variax standard since I bought it. Very nice to play just as a normal guitar, besides all the modelling stuff.

justin3am wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:48 am

You have a Variax, right? I've always liked the sound of the guitar parts in your music. Do you have any recordings with some of the more left-field configurations?
What type of thing- the weirdy sitar/resonator stuff, altered tunings etc?

My next guitar turned out to be an amp ...
I went to this little hippy town north of where I live that was supposed to have this custom guitar dude. I needed some work on my tele that I wasn't comfortable doing. Anyhow, when I walked in his shop he had a 65' deluxe reverb sitting there. emphasis on "had" as it's sitting in my room now. It is likely the most spotless one I've ever seen. It still has the original 2 prong plug with the bakelite surround, making it a nice vintage death machine!

If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Congrats! A good amp is great to play through!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 am
pekbro wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:16 am Although, personally I have not a been a big fan of
They're owned by Yamaha these days, and I've never had any bother with the Variax standard since I bought it. Very nice to play just as a normal guitar, besides all the modelling stuff.
they do seem very well made, especially given the price isn't huge!
my only issue is all the non guitar stuff is only available post computer :grrr:
what if i want to plug a banjo or a sitar in to my fx and amp? :cry:

(although, i know doing so would infuriate some folk...)

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:27 pm
my only issue is all the non guitar stuff is only available post computer :grrr:

No, all the sounds come direct from the geetar- they're modelled on the actual sound of the strings themselves. There's a piezo pickup under the bridge. No samples or owt involved so you can use the banjo/sitar/dobro/acoustics etc as you would a normal guitar.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:38 pm

No, all the sounds come direct from the geetar- they're modelled on the actual sound of the strings themselves. There's a piezo pickup under the bridge. No samples or owt involved so you can use the banjo/sitar/dobro/acoustics etc as you would a normal guitar.
:o serious?
i was under the impression the modelling took place in the pc software. not at the actual guitar itself.
if that's the case, you may have just sold another variax damn you :lol:

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:42 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:38 pm

:o serious?
i was under the impression the modelling took place in the pc software. not at the actual guitar itself.
if that's the case, you may have just sold another variax damn you :lol:
Aye,

The Variax HD software is just to mix and match pickups/guitar bodies/tunings/electrics etc, fully useable without it. The only thing you have to worry about is the battery. Lasts about 6 hours continuous use. You can get a power kit (or make one to supply power via the lead).

awesome, thanks for the info 8)
im now thinking ebow sitar! :band:

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:55 pm awesome, thanks for the info 8)
Ebow 12 string sitar (or is it 6 pairs of 2.. :hihi: )
Last edited by donkey tugger on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buggeration!

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:02 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:55 pm awesome, thanks for the info 8)
Ebow 12 string sitar (or is it 6 pairs of 2.. :hihi: )
2 4s and 2 2s.
or somesuch?

not sure what hed make of my two string marlin :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”