Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you haven't, you guys should check out Hawaiian Slack Key tunings. As I understand, an invention of Hawaii.
I grew up with it, so to me it's nothing out of the ordinary. Very distinctive and possibly interesting to you folks from far away.

They also use some interesting techniques, like this thing where you hold a needle and thread in their teeth and bounce it across the strings while playing.

Anyway, cool stuff. Some very famous performers have taken this type of guitar playing
to heart and spent many years pursuing it and those who continue to pass on the old
guitar traditions, even if nobody ever knew about it. Even Stills and the others
spent a lot of time here, writing many of their most famous songs on the very island
where I live.

Interesting stuff imho, though, no doubt you all have your own traditional guitar as well :)

Common Slack Key Tunings Notes Used

G Major or Taro Patch : D G D G B D
G Wahine : D G D F# B D
D Wahine : D A D F# A C#
Open D : D A D F# A D
C Major or Atta’s C : C G E G C E
Mauna Loa : C G E G A E
C Wahine or Leonard’s C : C G D G B D
C 6 : C G C G A E
Old Mauna Loa : C G C G A D
Open C : C G C E G C
F Wahine : C F C G C E
Open F : C F C F A C
Double Slack F : C F C E A C

Some Examples:

Music:
https://youtu.be/tpfT8AzAl0c

Technique:
https://youtu.be/Vb3NNR0iqu4

I have always wanted to spend some time messing with slack key with a needle
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

It's cool, the biting thing in the video is news to me though. Anyway, sorry if slack key is old news
for anyone, I honestly have no idea how well known Hawaiian music and tradition is outside of Hawaii.

Hink, that was nice! What kind of acoustic do you have?

Pekbro,

I am unfamiliar with Hawaiian music. Thank you for the links!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

thanx Bombadil, it's just an ovation cs 257 shallow body. I think I paid 500 for it in 2005, I like it but it's not made in usa or anything.

my house is not that dusty, that's the cheap phone :lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/ ... een-detail

To buy or to buy - that is the question! :help:

perfumer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 pm http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/ ... een-detail

To buy or to buy - that is the question! :help:

does it come with sunglasses?

Hink wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 pm does it come with sunglasses?
:hihi: Love the colour! How do you think - is it any good for speed metal? Hmmm.... :P

perfumer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:36 pm
Hink wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 pm
is it any good for speed metal? Hmmm.... :P

emgs check :lol:

not sure how useful a sustainiac will be for speed metal though? could be fun 8)

yo...vttk, get yer quotes straight :hihi:

:o

vttk? :o

Must look cool in black light!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I like the way the marker dots are set up, cool concept

I had a Jackson of a similar shade of green once upon a time, cant remember what happened to it actually.
I remember not liking the Floyd Rose tremolo...

IIRC, I traded it (with some cash) for one of these:

Which I broke into about 6 pieces, hi-siding it in a race at 110 mph, not long afterwards. :D
Last edited by pekbro on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I take back what I said about the white Variax.. :o

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”